Did your mom or dad tell you literally to shut up?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

Starting at age ten, my mom started to tell me to shut up and she did the same to my brothers too. That was new behavior for her. Now as an adult I do realize how annoying aspies can be when they don't stop whining or don't arguing about something and not move on because of their obsessive thoughts. Even my husband has told me as an adult he feels that way about me sometimes, he wants to yell "shut up" because I won't stop going on and on about something that is bothering me such as about money for example. I am sure I annoyed my mother a lot as a child with my obsessive thinking so she was always yelling at me to shut up and she only did it to my brothers so I wouldn't feel singled out and treated different and so I would feel normal and I would see she does it to everyone, not to me because I'm Beth. Also my mom has told me she never wanted to make me feel like I was broken and had something wrong with me so she treated us all the same so I would feel normal and not think I had something wrong with me. So I think the shut up part was because I annoyed her so much she would just lose it and say it and didn't have patience for it anymore so she did it to my brothers too so I wouldn't feel singled out.

Did your parents always tell you to shut up and did they do it to you only or did they do it to your siblings too for the sake of making it look like they do it to everyone and not just to you?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 5:07 pm

My mom is almost always telling me to shut up. I have never heard her say it to my siblings, but that could be because they aren't biologically her children. She mostly says it when I start talking about my special interest or if I'm trying to talk to her about something that is really bothering me or obsessive thoughts I am having.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 5:21 pm

My parents often told me to shut up, but it was more likely to be my dad getting angry about it. I went through a phase where I would burst out laughing for no reason in very public places, just couldn't keep it in, but it often happened whenever I was feeling nervous (which I often was when my dad was present). Later on it evolved into me suddenly exploding into a huge dialogue about something I learned that day. My dad hated it. To this day he's a control freak but had little real involvement as a parent when we were all younger; he just wanted us to behave nicely and most importantly, be quiet and respectful. He has always preferred his male children too, so my sister and particularly me had the honour of being the brunt of his narcissistic little jibes. At an old dentist appointment where I was under local anesthetic, he actually joked to my surgeon that at least it got me to shut up! I did have the pleasure to see the shock on the dentist's face though.
My mum would often try to soften his reprimands, but she often mangles her words much like I do and sometimes things came out ten times worse. At the height of a past interest in paranormal/extraterrestrial intelligence, etc... she once took me to the side and asked, 'why couldn't I talk about normal things, instead?'

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 7:57 pm

Most of the time, it was my mother who would tell me to "shut up."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 11:55 am

Both of my parents told me to shut up.