Exposed Only to People You Can't Relate To

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 3:25 am

What effect does it have on a person, to never or almost never interact with people you understand and share sufficient common ground with?

I find the wide variety of personality traits, the endless universe of little things that each person cares about, exhausting and demoralizing.

Maybe this is why socializing requires such specific behavior, huh? If everyone acted like herself, perhaps few could get along as easily.

I've been away from WP and on the normie forums for a while and once again they've tired me out. For people who supposedly have better "social skills," they argue and insult each other A LOT more than people do on WP.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2017, 3:55 am

Zilch,personally and i'm quite happy to fly solo,within my own world and beat to my own drum.

But that said,a connection would be nice,with someone that understands you.

But yeah,it's all good,either way,spiritually wise,everything's for a reason.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:20 am

Without at least one peer to talk with, thinking tends to stagnate, and one feels isolated.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:39 am

WP is the only place I've been able to find anyone I can relate to over the past 10 years. I've felt a sort of kinship on here even with people I've violently disagreed with, or had other difficulties with. I've tried a number of other forums, mainly related to gaming or newspaper message boards, but have never felt I belonged there, or been able to connect with anyone, except for sterile, matter-of-fact exchange of opinions or information.

'In real life' I find things even more difficult - I still think and see the world pretty much as I did in the 1970s and 1980s. 'Normal' people tend to 'move on' and 'evolve'.

:hmph: