Super proud of myself! I went to visit my Grandma!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 1:00 am

So. My parents have been divorced sine I was 7/8. Dad is an Aspie. Grandma knows this. We are very very bad at getting together and figuring things out. Last November I actually planned seeing her all by myself, and had a great time. I could actually speak to her for once in my life! Well, my mom sprung on me "Since we'll be in the area, why don't you go see her." I said yes. Mom called and we went to see her. My dad who lives with my grandparents, didn't even know we were coming. So he came home from work and there we were. It was a lot of fun, and had NON of the stress of the planned visits.

We talked a lot. Since we're so bad at communication, i really don't know much about the lives of my cousins and their children. She got us all up to speed, and was shocked we didn't know about certain things.

She told us of marriages, divorces, illnesses, and all kinds of stuff I didn't know about!

She wanted to know more about Asperger's and where it falls on the Autism spectrum. She does know quite a bit. It turns out she wanted more info because one of my cousins has a small son(second cousin??) (who I'd never heard about) who she thinks may be on the spectrum. he has sensory issues. He cannot stand loud noises and the like. He may have Echolalea (or as she called it like a stuttering, but only around certain people). Otherwise, he is quite verbally precocious. She said my Cousin and his wife are in denial about it, and that another cousin of mine even broached the subject with *her* child's pediatrician, who said the kid should be checked out.

I was very sad about this and told my Grandma. It is nothing to be ashamed of, and the earlier you get him help the better things will go. I even suggested it may be sensory processing disorder, and explained a bit how that works. I hope they get things figured out, but I don't think I can discuss it with them. I haven't seen these people since I was 10, or maybe 11!

My mom even told me that my Cousin (the father of the possible spectrumer) was Dx'd with ADHD, just like my dad originally was, and they both take after my Grandaddy. While I can;t speak for my Grandaddy since I've only known him for 20 years, I'm really pleased that we share a common bond.

I feel kind of guilty though, for hoping my brother has an Aspie child.

Anyway I feel good about this and happy that I saw my Grandma!!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 1:13 am

That's great. Your grandma sounds like a really cool person. Maybe she'll talk to the parents of that little cousin you mentioned; she seems to be socially adept if she knows about everything that goes on in the family. Maybe they will listen to her advice.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 6:35 am

I think it's great that you've made that step and you had good talk with your Grandma. I wish my family could be that easy to talk to.