Are your facial expressions either absent or exaggerated?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cyonce
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

Someone pointed out to me recently (nicely) that I my facial expressions are somewhat extreme. When I thought about this it's probably right on the mark, I'm definitely not very subtle with them.

I also know that often I show nothing at all, people have told me before that sometimes they can't tell by looking at my face if I'm ever paying any attention at all.

It does feel like its harder than it should be for me to make facial expressions, like I actually have to try unless the reaction is quite strong. I don't exactly smile well on cue either, my fake smile looks about as realistic as a badly drawn cartoon.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

Yes, I am either like a robot or a cartoon character with my eggspressions, including facial eggspressions, body language, and tone of voice. I seem to be incapable of modulating my eggspressions into a middle ground of social acceptability, so I suck at faking NT.

Neutrino
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

Absent most of the time. Or well, according to people I often look angry or sad even though I'm not. I don't smile often.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 5:42 pm

I usually have a blank look on my face, but the people who I'm closest to (my mom and my brother) can read the subtleties in my expression and know exactly what I'm feeling. Additionally, people have commented that my smile in photographs looks very forced/faked. Which is true, but I didn't think it was that obvious.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

My facial expressions are "muted". I have a very "flat?" look on my face most of the time. I do not really smile my the edge of my mouth will twitch when I am happy, my eyebrows go down a tiny bit when I am confused, angry, or sad. Because of this I have been called "cold and unfeeling". I am not very good at deciphering subtle facial expressions, so perhaps that is why I have trouble showing them?

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2012, 5:50 pm

My facial expressions are not ever exaggerated. Most of the time I'm just expressionless. People don't really say anything about it, but I know they can tell. It's just my natural expression. My smile is a slight raising of the facial muscles on the left side of my face. I don't really do any other facial expressions.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

No, they are either exaggerated or normal.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

Sometimes not there, sometimes there, but at a low volume. Mostly one or the other, not much at regular strength of expression. Also, not always the correct expression for the situation, but then I don't always read the situation correctly, so how can I be expected to respond correctly under those circumstances?

I am also bad at thinking of correct wants/needs social questions to ask people. Sometimes I think of it after the fact, but not always. Examples:

- Would you like something to eat/drink?
- Are you cold, would you like me to raise the heat?
- (Says have a headache) would you like an aspirin?
- And many, many other such questions.

I am absolutely terrible when it comes to these kinds of questions. It rarely occurs to me that someone might have a need or want that I should be helping them with, by at least asking if they want/need whatever it is. I am so busy with my own thoughts, issues, and the problem of dealing socially with the other person, that I don't have enough mental processing power left to perceive their needs and wants, and that I am expected to at least ask about it. Sometimes I will think of it after they are gone, and feel bad that I neglected to ask these things, but it's too late then.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2012, 7:14 pm

My facial expressions are either nonexistent or too extreme. Almost all of my expressions are forced. I've been told I make the best facial expressions, because they're hilarious apparently, but I don't know how else to "express" myself.
I have yet to master the art of appearing normal.

At least I make people laugh and they're more forgiving of my strangeness as a result.
This was a good thing when I was younger but it's hard to have people take me seriously.

Guess I need to start practicing facial expressions in the mirror again.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:41 pm

I've been told I smile, but not with my eyes. I'm working on making my eyes look happy.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2012, 7:51 pm

I have a blank stare,I don't smile very often.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:29 am

I can't say I pay a whole lot of attention to my facial expressions, but people will occasionally ask me if I'm OK or if I'm angry or something. (Nope, I'm fine.)

ManicMinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 12:48 am

I used to have a lot less expression in my face and my voice was more monotone. Over the years i've learned how to speak better and use gestures with my face and hands a lot better. Sometimes when i get nervous my face and body tenses up though.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2012, 1:06 am

my expressions are very animate when they're spontaneous and sincere.

i'm so bad at smiling 'nicely' for photos that i almost always automatically resort to making a ridiculous face and not even trying to look natural.

Cyonce
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

justalouise wrote:
i'm so bad at smiling 'nicely' for photos that i almost always automatically resort to making a ridiculous face and not even trying to look natural.

Haha, yeah I have a purposely crazed looking drivers license picture now because my fake smile ones always looked idiotic

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

absent, I am often surprised by this when I see photos, I don't look how I feel.

Jason