Videotaping self - a strategy that works?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:24 pm

Has anyone tried videotaping themselves in certain situations (usually mock situations!) and then played it back to observe yourself? And found that it helped? I tried it a couple of times and found that I'm better than my earlier years - I still have a couple of video tapings of myself at 21; I was undiagnosed with Aspergers at the time, and didn't think my demeanour was that unusual from watching them at the time, but a couple of NTs pointed things out like rigid posture, monotone, not acknowledging that someone wanted to wrap up, etc. When I view those videos today, I can totally see all of that, and even think wow, how could I have projected myself that way. Last year, I did a video tape of a mock job interview with a coach and was told that overall it was very good, better than most people - but that came from years of practice, reading up and having helpful/non-judgemental friends.

Still, I can see recording/playback of interactions being an effective form of self-help and improvement and would invite others to contribute their experiences with this strategy.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

I haven't tried it, but I think it's a great idea. I was actually thinking of this recently.

My old Speech teacher used to recommend this for improving public speaking, and I don't see how it could hurt.

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

I highly, highly recommend some way of seeing yourself in video. I've never videotaped myself but other people have videotaped me doing funny things and I'm just amazed at seeing myself on the videos. Seeing my mannerisms and the way I carry myself, plus the overall aura and vibes I give off, was such a revelation to me, and actually, I was very proud of myself after seeing the videos - it was a huge relief and self-confidence boost.

Even watching yourself walk is a good thing. If you can't get filmed doing it, try to find a long hallway with a mirror at the end and walk towards it. I did that the other day at school and was amazed at myself.

Filming yourself alone in your room might not work, because you know you're doing it. You will probably act differently by yourself, at home, knowing you're on camera for self-assessment, than you would in a public place. It's definitely worth a try though and even filming yourself while on the computer would give you a good idea of how you sit, posture, pace of body movements, etc.

If you go to a therapist or counselor, ask them if they can videotape a session, so you can see and hear yourself. I would think that's the ideal place for such happenings.