Adults with Aspergers Seem 'Normal' to Me

Page 17 of 25 [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
[Ok well you're coming off as really judgemental, and this is not the appropriate place to ask provoking questions about peoples difficulties so you can expose what you see as contradictions and essentially tell us all to just 'get over it.' while refusing to consider anyone elses perspective....and its kind of seeming like that is what you're doing.

I thought I was just asking questions to determine the exact nature of the problem

It seems the problem doesn't bear close scrutiny though - which is very interesting :wink:

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
We weren't talking specifically about cooking though; just finding something to eat so that you don't starve to death

Can you walk down the street without disassociating? Can you walk through a doorway into a grocery store without having an instant headache? Do you deal with pain that makes you unable to walk to get yourself water to swallow advil with? Can you walk down the street at night and see what's in front of you without the headlights from the cars blinding you and making you unable to even notice if someone is walking your way?

These are only a few of the things I need to take into account when leaving my apartment at all.

I said before that I'm eating fine and that just turning to others and not trying to live on my own easily makes me not have to worry about food. However, even getting food is not necessarily nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

No, as I'm not what's commonly termed a hypochondriac

That's not me being a hypochondriac. That's a short description of some of what I deal with in terms of my sensory issues and the migraines that are caused by them. Sensory issues are very real, as are migraines.

I've no doubt

You seem to allow them to rule your life to an unhealthy degree though in my opinion

Are you familiar with the concept of 'just trying to get on with things despite the difficulties'?

Try it, it might be a revelation to you

Apparently you do not relate to and do not understand the issues people with autism are dealing with in every-day-life.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

Eloa wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
We weren't talking specifically about cooking though; just finding something to eat so that you don't starve to death

Can you walk down the street without disassociating? Can you walk through a doorway into a grocery store without having an instant headache? Do you deal with pain that makes you unable to walk to get yourself water to swallow advil with? Can you walk down the street at night and see what's in front of you without the headlights from the cars blinding you and making you unable to even notice if someone is walking your way?

These are only a few of the things I need to take into account when leaving my apartment at all.

I said before that I'm eating fine and that just turning to others and not trying to live on my own easily makes me not have to worry about food. However, even getting food is not necessarily nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

That's not me being a hypochondriac. That's a short description of some of what I deal with in terms of my sensory issues and the migraines that are caused by them. Sensory issues are very real, as are migraines.

I've no doubt

You seem to allow them to rule your life to an unhealthy degree though in my opinion

Are you familiar with the concept of 'just trying to get on with things despite the difficulties'?

Apparently you do not relate to and do not understand the issues people with autism are dealing with in every-day-life.

Evidently not

I have gained a bit more insight into it though from this discussion :)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

nessa238 wrote:
It's the discrepancy between what this person actually will and won't act on that gives them away here - House burning down? - Oh I can leave the house for that;
Make oneself something to eat? - I can't do that - in this case it's far more about 'what I can be arsed to do' than anything else, otherwise why no 'freezing' when the house is on fire? It doesn't add up really does it? How does she know for sure how she'd react if the house were on fire? She had no doubt about it thoguh - yes I could do that she said

Saying 'So you couldn't leave the house if it was on fire??' implies the person is stupid if they wouldn't, hence they say 'Of course I can do that!' but by their own logic there's no reason why they should be able to do it as in their own words they said they often freeze with too many choices etc - why doesnt this hold for evacuating the house too then?

I never said that there would be no freezing. Actually what would probably occur would be that I'd find out there is a fire, get completely overloaded by the fire alarms, start panicking, be unable to move, not know whether there's anything I can save, freeze hard, have the danger get near, hit extreme adrenaline, grab my cat and run, and then collapse shaking and be unable to do anything else for the rest of the day.

Adrenaline does that. I know how adrenaline works on me, that's the reason I know how I'd react in a life or death situation in a short term danger. I freeze completely, and then get away as fast as I can and then completely lose every last semblance of sanity for the rest of the day.

And evacuating a house really doesn't have that many choices. If I were to try to be saving my stuff I'd not manage, I'd freeze until it was too late (except for my cat which is a clear priority as she's a living being). However, I didn't think it was necessary to mention that and deleted the paragraph I'd written on that in my original response. Apparently this was a mistake.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2012, 6:47 pm

I put the rubish out. But I need help. She shows me the rubish and I see it and then she tells me "what is the next step" and then we do the rubish. having trouble doing the rubish is not just abtou not tryign. I try hard. my care giver read what you right. she does not thing you are right.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:49 pm

Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
It's the discrepancy between what this person actually will and won't act on that gives them away here - House burning down? - Oh I can leave the house for that;
Make oneself something to eat? - I can't do that - in this case it's far more about 'what I can be arsed to do' than anything else, otherwise why no 'freezing' when the house is on fire? It doesn't add up really does it? How does she know for sure how she'd react if the house were on fire? She had no doubt about it thoguh - yes I could do that she said

Saying 'So you couldn't leave the house if it was on fire??' implies the person is stupid if they wouldn't, hence they say 'Of course I can do that!' but by their own logic there's no reason why they should be able to do it as in their own words they said they often freeze with too many choices etc - why doesnt this hold for evacuating the house too then?

I never said that there would be no freezing. Actually what would probably occur would be that I'd find out there is a fire, get completely overloaded by the fire alarms, start panicking, be unable to move, not know whether there's anything I can save, freeze hard, have the danger get near, hit extreme adrenaline, grab my cat and run, and then collapse shaking and be unable to do anything else for the rest of the day.

Adrenaline does that. I know how adrenaline works on me, that's the reason I know how I'd react in a life or death situation in a short term danger. I freeze completely, and then get away as fast as I can and then completely lose every last semblance of sanity for the rest of the day.

And evacuating a house really doesn't have that many choices. If I were to try to be saving my stuff I'd not manage, I'd freeze until it was too late (except for my cat which is a clear priority as she's a living being). However, I didn't think it was necessary to mention that and deleted the paragraph I'd written on that in my original response. Apparently this was a mistake.

I'm loving this re-write of your response from 'yes I'd be able to leave' to 'I'd leave but have a hundred problems with it and after it' - just in case I made the mistake of thinking you might actually cope ok

No danger of that is there?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:50 pm

Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I'd probably be fine with getting out right away, but my recovery from the whole experience might not go so well. As I have a tendency to go kind of mentally numb in dangerous situations and act on good old animal instinct. But its the afterwards that doesn't go so well, and such a event would probably set off the PTSD I already have thus worsening it......and as a result it will intensify sensory sensitivities. Now if I started having a panic attack before the dangerous event took place, then it might be harder to get myself out of the situation. But yeah its hard to explain.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I'd probably be fine with getting out right away, but my recovery from the whole experience might not go so well. As I have a tendency to go kind of mentally numb in dangerous situations and act on good old animal instinct. But its the afterwards that doesn't go so well, and such a event would probably set off the PTSD I already have thus worsening it......and as a result it will intensify sensory sensitivities. Now if I started having a panic attack before the dangerous event took place, then it might be harder to get myself out of the situation. But yeah its hard to explain.

You're making a sterling effort though :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
[Ok well you're coming off as really judgemental, and this is not the appropriate place to ask provoking questions about peoples difficulties so you can expose what you see as contradictions and essentially tell us all to just 'get over it.' while refusing to consider anyone elses perspective....and its kind of seeming like that is what you're doing.

I thought I was just asking questions to determine the exact nature of the problem

It seems the problem doesn't bear close scrutiny though - which is very interesting :wink:

It seems like your looking to tell everyone how easy their symptoms should be to deal with, without truly trying to understand the difficulties these symptoms can cause. If not I guess I am just mis-understanding.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I'm loving this re-write of your response from 'yes I'd be able to leave' to 'I'd leave but have a hundred problems with it and after it' - just in case I made the mistake of thinking you might actually cope ok

No danger of that is there?

I'm not saying I'd not cope okay, I'm saying that my ability to leave a building has nothing to do with whether I can feed myself, and that if you're insistent on thinking that if I could leave a burning building then I must be lying about other abilities, then I should add back in the information that I'd removed.

Being unable to cope for the rest of the day isn't bad at all, that's adrenaline, that's how people normally respond. It just happens that I've been in a situation to get that fast of an adrenaline rush and crash and know first hand what its like.

But you asked if I could get out of a burning building, yes, I could, I could save myself and my cat. I value my life. I don't want to hurt myself or let myself die. I value my cat more than material possessions, even ones that can't be replaced. The fact that I'd freeze wouldn't keep me from leaving a burning building.

There are people with autism where them freezing would prevent them from leaving a burning building. It's something emergency workers are explicitly taught about. I'm luckily not one of those people. I'm luckily able to respond to adrenaline by saving my life if I'm in a burning building. I'm luckily someone who got out of the way when that car came and nearly hit me, because a lot of people with autism aren't.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

You're making a sterling effort though :wink:

I know what anxiety can do to someone, if you truly find yourself in the midst of a panic attack good luck doing much of anything other than freaking out....so yeah it can be disabling.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It seems like your looking to tell everyone how easy their symptoms should be to deal with, without truly trying to understand the difficulties these symptoms can cause. If not I guess I am just mis-understanding.

Partly

I just think a lot of people with autism (and other conditons) seem to enjoy ennumerating their difficulties rather than trying to work out ways of dealing with them

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Partly

I just think a lot of people with autism (and other conditons) seem to enjoy ennumerating their difficulties rather than trying to work out ways of dealing with them

Ah, so you want to ignore everything we're saying that isn't enumerating our difficulties because that doesn't fit with your mental model of us, okay, that manages to answer the question I've been trying to figure out about when you respond to posts and when you don't.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Partly

Well I can only speak for myself but I certainly do not enjoy the difficulties my mental disorders cause....the only enjoyment I might get out of explaining my difficulties is maybe if someone can understand where I'm coming from and can be supportive or has good advice. But I don't think its fun that I process things slowly and as a result got called 'ret*d' a lot as a kid, I don't think it's fun that i have sensory issues that make certain stimuli painful to me or cause me to more or less shut down and having people assume i was just complaining for the hell of it or making a big deal out of what they perceived to be nothing.....because they cannot understand that I am literally more sensitive. I also don't think it's fun that a sudden loud noise will make me jump and send me into panic mode or that I might even just have a random anxiety attack. None of that is fun......I do what I can to deal with it, but no I don't have the ability to just overcome everything and not be impaired by my symptoms hence why try explaining the difficulties to others were it would be helpful...not because I want pity, I don't see what good that would do me.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I can not feel hungry but get a headache which is my brain's way of telling me it wants food so then I will eat something, despite not really feeling like it, as my body has told me it is suffering due to lack of food. In other words I listen to what my body is telling me to do ie to eat rather than what I myself might prefer to do ie not eat

I don't get headaches just hunger pains that tell me I'm hungry, but there are times I have not appetite for food due to depression, anxiety and ptsd issues and sometimes there is even nausea...so I sometimes either have to force myself to eat or just not. but its not because I would prefer not to eat it's because symptoms are interfering with my ability to do so.

Some people do really have symptoms that interfere with their ability to function...you seem to be questioning that?

I can't comprehend it

In my mind, if a person can turn a computer on and post on a discussion forum, they easily have the intelligence necessary to be able to feed themselves, as operating a computer is a far more complex task than eating.

Many people can use a computer, yet are unable to feed themselves or do much of anything else.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZVV4Ciccg[/youtube]

Last edited by Max000 on 26 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Eloa wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I've no doubt

Evidently not

I have gained a bit more insight into it though from this discussion :)

Then on what criteria was your diagnosis based on in the first place, as a clinically significant diagnosis requires clinically singnificant impairmant in daily functioning. It seems, you do not have clinically significant impairments in daily functioning, as you seem not to relate to the impairments described by people being diagnosed with an ASD here, which doesn't exclude you can have clinically significant impairments which have not been discussed here.
Did you got diagnosed by someone specialized in autism?

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 26 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.