Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

I think this is autism related. I'm just wondering if anyone else finds people typing "lol" to be absolutely maddening.

Those three letters have no meaning to me. Yes, I know it stands for laughing out loud, and very occasionally I'll use it. But non-autistics on facebook seem to use it when they don't know what to say. I just posted some random thing about obsessively listening to a song so much that it sounds out of tune and someone replies with "lol".

Whenever I do something weird in an online conversation, like make things too serious or say something blunt or awkward, the other person responds with "lol".

It drives me nuts. Is it an autism thing, or is it caused by the fact that I'm 28 and go to university with 18 year olds?

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm

I type it when something genuinely makes me laugh out loud. It actually took me a while to notice people would use it even if they weren't laughing.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm

Same thing here, and I'm only 19. :lol: Maybe that's why my youngest friend is 27.
It's almost just as annoying when they use it without meaning it as it is when they use it excessively. I already have enough difficulty trying to figure out what to say to people and how I come across without having to worry about them frowning at my reply or calling their friend over to laugh at me about something I've said. After all, not everything I say is that funny.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

RainShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

biribiri20 wrote:
I type it when something genuinely makes me laugh out loud. It actually took me a while to notice people would use it even if they weren't laughing.

Me too, of course this was after I had someone explain to me what it meant. Every time I see knew (whatever they are called), I feel stupid. I don't understand them and can't figure out why they use so many different ones. I tend to crack myself up a lot so "lol" just comes naturally even if most people don't understand my humor. My husband gets me and that's what's important, I guess.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm

I find it to be a useful way of conveying emotion (laughter) in text. A lot of people don't like "textspeak", but we've been inventing acronyms to use as shorthand for centuries... "OK", for instance.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm

How you know they not "loling"

LMAOROFL = how funny it was to me.

Laughing my ass off, rolling on floor laughing. Does not mean I am rolling on the floor.

I feel like I should also put, I don't mean my ass is literally been laughed off.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:46 pm

It bothers me when people seem to use it when they don't mean that something is funny, but overall it doesn't bother me. I use "lol" to mean "I find this funny enough to have gotten a physical reaction out of me". I use it when I'm just smiling from a comment because smiling is like laughing for me.

When I don't know what to say I either say "I don't know what to say" or "mew" (or "mow" or other cat-like things).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:54 pm

"lol" really annoys me. I've never really seen the point of it.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
"lol" really annoys me. I've never really seen the point of it.

Because a txt message has limited char count, until it turns into more than one txt. It is a fast way to respond in a game. Or just like saying 6f or 5m or 5cm or 5mm.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:59 pm

Plenty of autistics say lol too. So do I so maybe it's just your personality.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 12:02 am

It annoys me when there is no call for laughter in any thing said. Ive "seen" txters who use this as a uh or a uh-hum.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

Find it funny really. Like calling phonetic spelling, spelling mistakes.

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 12:28 am

scubasteve wrote:
I find it to be a useful way of conveying emotion (laughter) in text. A lot of people don't like "textspeak", but we've been inventing acronyms to use as shorthand for centuries... "OK", for instance.

^This.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 1:59 am

lol

bwahahahaahaaaaaaaa!! !! i am evilllllllll. i actually like it, and i will used "lulzy" as a word in real life. it does help with awkward moments.

Dots, what would you like people to do instead if they feel uncomfortable?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 2:02 am

hyperlexian wrote:
lol

bwahahahaahaaaaaaaa!! !! i am evilllllllll. i actually like it, and i will used "lulzy" as a word in real life. it does help with awkward moments.

Dots, what would you like people to do instead if they feel uncomfortable?

Pure evil!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 2:02 am

I like "HAHAHAHAHAHA hahahahahahahahahaha." Because it is legit, yo.