descrtiption of perfect sensory room for adults.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2009, 2:04 am

I am trying to come up with a list of what the perfect sensory room would look like, as in what things would be in the room, decorating, lighting, etc. Any ideas? I have some, but I was wondering what others on the spectrum find relaxing and calming, or stimulating( as needed, etc. ). My thearpist has requested for a grant for a pilot program, and she is wanting input as to what the ideal sensory room is.
My ideas are: Colors in room, earth tones. Not bright primary colors. I like natural lighting, but not too much of it where it is too bright, so natural lighting with blinds, etc. In the room I would want: a large fish tank, with beautiful fish like orandas with long flowing fins, and black moors, etc. several tanks would be even nicer with a nice varitey of fish; large(adult sized) bean bag "chair" The kind that is big enough to curl up in.; swings(single hammock-style swing), patio swing/glider; trampoline to let off excessive anxiety and stress. Warm, soft fuzzy heavy blankets(weighted).moonsand box.; ...
also would want small things like: metal slinky(love the sound it makes and the feel in your hands as it goes from one hand to the other);

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 3:49 am

Going to have to think about for a while.
A lot of the time do feel calm and content with late summer afternoon and evening sun coming in windows.
Will often lie on floor in sun.

Can say that it varies some for me - maybe with the seasons. Maybe with moods.

Also expect it would vary widely from person to person.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 5:42 am

Oooh, I like the idea of the swings, blankets, trampoline etc.
My friend from school had a loft library in her house with a hanging sort of teardrop-shaped swing chair with a big cushion in it, which was awesome and I want one.
Also I'd go for all-log architecture, like a cabin. That nice shiny warm wood color all over, mmmm. And always interesting to look at. (Dunno how practical that is. XD;; But you could always install some wood here and there, or get wood furniture.)
And ideally several trees and a stream, lol.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 9:43 am

A soundproof room would be a good start for me, with window shutters so I could make it lightproof. I probably wouldn't bask in absolute silence and darkness very much, but just knowing the option was always there would be a good feeling. And there'd have to be a way to let in the birdsong and the sound of the wind in the trees and the smell of the plants from the expansive garden.

Light colours, Indie or regency styles, but not cluttered. A flatscreen or two, sunk into the walls. 5.1 sound system. Carpets, not wooden flooring. Comfy chairs and settees. A table that doesn't wobble. Computer. Framed photographs on the walls. Large old clock.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 10:12 am

To my mind, honey coloured wood is very nice, not too dark or bright. Neutral colours are good (note, white is not a neutral colour and sometimes can hurt my eyes). Sound proofed is good. Stim toys also a good idea. Comfortable chairs and couches, ones that match the decor but most important is comfort. A window with a window box full of flowers or heather (a pretty plant), also the ability to shut out the light if needed. A safe area in the room with space for a trampoline and/or other places to use nervious energy.

This is all I can think about for the moment.

Laney2005
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2009, 3:56 pm

I've been wanting to build one, too!

Objects that can be thrown without breaking anything. Not just balls, other objects, too.

A cave. I saw a cat cave at the pet store that was lined with super-soft fabric and was plushie inside. I'm still thinking of how to best make one for myself-- just big enough to crawl into and curl up in.

Some sort of water feature.

Lots of stim toys.

Some sort of thing to climb into, almost like a treehouse for adults. Small and cozy, like a small log cabin on stilts. I would build the cave under it to save space.

Just some thoughts.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:48 pm

Wayward pines are extremely awesome rooms if it's cool outside. As are natural caves.

For a man-made room... hmmm. Room circular with several alcoves into the wall. Thick shag carpeting, black, along with the domed ceiling. Wall covered with dark vines and Ivy (can be fake), though it stops at the tops of the alcoves. In one alcove a full size bed, fitting against the far wall and inner walls with ceiling 4 feet above the bedding. Fireplace in the center of the room, about the size of a small campfire, burning with maple wood, smoke ventilated with silent fan above a hole in the domed ceiling. Fish tank with light blue back lighting built into one wall, about 5x3x2, filled with lionfish and anemone's. Another alcove, opposite fish tank contains computer, desk, and full gaming station, cables hidden in the wall on the alcove. The entrace door is right next to the fish tank, opens outward. Vines and Ivy hang down over the door, have to walk through them to get in or out. Scented Candles are in small 10"x5"x5" alcoves spaced around the wall. Wall and door are of course sound proof. Speakers are hidden behind the candles, hooked to the computer. Large leather rotating recliner between bed and door, normally facing fire, two larger candle alcoves behind it for optimal reading lighting. Entire room about 30 feet across. 10 feet up, the dome begins, the dome is 6 feet at apex. A metal mesh platform runs at the 10 feet height, hole in the center. The mesh is designed to look similar to vines, capable of holding up to 1000 pounds so such things as people, hammocks or whatever can be hung from/placed on top of it.

Hmm, now I have a room goal to get tons of money for purchasing and constructing.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Garriond
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Nov 2009, 5:19 pm

Indirect lighting. As I am sitting at my desk, two small lamps illuminate the walls around me with warm colors. They are mounted under my desk board. I found I like lighting best if the light source itself is not visible. I also like directing lamps such that the bump patterns on the wallpaper cast visible shadows. It makes me see space better. That's why I love morning and evening hours when the sky is clear and the sun is shining at at low angle.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 5:29 pm

A space station. No, really. I'd be nice to live in space with no weather or gravity or any unpredictable sensory stimuli.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 7:05 pm

Ooooh this is fun! My perfect sensory room:

Walls-- a dark color like navy blue or dark brown. (not black that's too depressing) There should also be a pattern on the wall, because I like to trace patterns with my eyes when I'm bored.

Carpet- very soft and maybe like a cream color. Not completely white but like a off-white.

Seating-big cushy chairs and couches that you sink into. Fleece blankets folded along the back of them.

Lighting-natural light, with the option of shutting out all light completely. Possibly metal plates that can come down over the windows.

Smells- this one is important to me. It HAS to smell good. a single scented candle works. I love the smell of febreeze too. An actual breeze would be nice too, bringing in the smells from outside (if the outside smells good).

extras- for a sensory room, I would be mesmerized by those crystal balls that have the electricity inside. The kind that you touch to manipulate the current of electricity. Video games, of course. Anything with flashing colored lights. The option of very loud music with lots of base, so you can feel it vibrating throughout your body. I just realized my perfect sensory room is starting to sound like a nightclub, minus the people. :?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 8:42 pm

Subdued colors, natural light, lots of tactile stuff, meditation cushion, comfy reclining chair, weighted blanket. No smells. Pretty houseplants.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2009, 2:41 am

a lady who gives backrubs and stuff.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 3:30 am

Laney2005 wrote:
I've been wanting to build one, too!

Objects that can be thrown without breaking anything. Not just balls, other objects, too.

A cave. I saw a cat cave at the pet store that was lined with super-soft fabric and was plushie inside. I'm still thinking of how to best make one for myself-- just big enough to crawl into and curl up in.

Some sort of water feature.

Lots of stim toys.

Some sort of thing to climb into, almost like a treehouse for adults. Small and cozy, like a small log cabin on stilts. I would build the cave under it to save space.

Just some thoughts.

I second the cave and tree house!!
And LEVELS. (yes, like Kramer)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 7:51 pm

Off white room walls, large desk, comfortable chair, desk lamp, notepad, pen.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 8:22 pm

I'd be happy with the human sized cat cubby... I like to be curled up with pressure on all sides.
Off the ground. but not so high that it needs a ladder. Smmoth enough on top that you could perch on top. Green. Lots and lots of dark green. Wood walls green. Thick carpet green. Paper, pens, books, laptops available, in tidy little storage nooks along one wall. Soft outfits and bunny slippers. Air (and birdsong) coming through open vents at roof level. Somewhere that smells like trees. Diffuse light. Color panels that can be "dialed" to different tones to modify the tone of the light. A good pantry. Heated floors.

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2010, 8:34 pm

As a child I found incredibly great soothing comfort in having one of those artificial fireplaces with the fake flames effect in my room. I loved it. I also loved the old aluminum Christmas tree rotating light.

Something else I loved was focusing for long periods of time on the illumination on my far bedroom wall from the sun shining through my windows. I enjoyed the shape of my windows being cast on that wall from the sun. But bright sunlight---no---that is painful. Through my windows it was dampened by hitting the far wall.