Applying for SSI in the united states

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 1:52 pm

lyricalillusions wrote:
SSI is very hard to get, regardless of the diagnoses a person has and you should never apply unless you are actually unable to work due to your issues. If you're only applying because you can't find a job and can not get unemployment benefits, you're just wasting their time, as well as making it harder for those (like myself) who truly are unable to work. So, if you do apply, make sure it's because you know that you can not work. And know that it IS going to be very difficult and take quite a long time. You will also most likely have to get a lawyer in order to win your case.

Well if i could make it past the interview and get hired it is possible I could 'work' but that does not mean I can keep up with the work load, or that my symptoms could interfere with my ability to work or that the stress of trying to keep up but having to push way to hard to suppress my issues would make my mental state worse leading to even more trouble functioning.

What I am getting at is I can do activities considered 'work' but that does not mean I can work at a job effectively enough to keep the job...or that I could even handle enough hours to make any real amount of income. Thing that sucks is that it takes so long to get approved and that one might need a lawyer I mean what are people supposed to live on while going through this process? not to mention afford a lawyer.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
lyricalillusions wrote:
SSI is very hard to get, regardless of the diagnoses a person has and you should never apply unless you are actually unable to work due to your issues. If you're only applying because you can't find a job and can not get unemployment benefits, you're just wasting their time, as well as making it harder for those (like myself) who truly are unable to work. So, if you do apply, make sure it's because you know that you can not work. And know that it IS going to be very difficult and take quite a long time. You will also most likely have to get a lawyer in order to win your case.

Well if i could make it past the interview and get hired it is possible I could 'work' but that does not mean I can keep up with the work load, or that my symptoms could interfere with my ability to work or that the stress of trying to keep up but having to push way to hard to suppress my issues would make my mental state worse leading to even more trouble functioning.

What I am getting at is I can do activities considered 'work' but that does not mean I can work at a job effectively enough to keep the job...or that I could even handle enough hours to make any real amount of income. Thing that sucks is that it takes so long to get approved and that one might need a lawyer I mean what are people supposed to live on while going through this process? not to mention afford a lawyer.

I think I understand how you feel, have you tried taking to a doctor any about this? Not just disability really but your worries about other stuff, I mean you might have some real actual anxiety issues or something. You sound really unhappy from the general theme of your posts though I haven't followed each and every one.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:17 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
lyricalillusions wrote:

I think I understand how you feel, have you tried taking to a doctor any about this? Not just disability really but your worries about other stuff, I mean you might have some real actual anxiety issues or something. You sound really unhappy from the general theme of your posts though I haven't followed each and every one.

Still working on that....I plan to schedule an appointment at this mental health place that can hopefully help me with getting diagnosed it said they offer services to people with no income so hopefully that will help. But yeah I've gone to therapy and I've struggled a lot with all my issues but I've never been officially diagnosed with the issues I have. So yeah I don't even have a lot of documented proof to be approved for SSI.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2012, 5:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
lyricalillusions wrote:

IMO (lacking in knowledge on the subject...hence the post) applying for ssi could be a good option for you because then you get free doctors to diagnose these things....which i think you would get more of if you have no documentation. But some say the doctors are horrid where as others say they got awesome doctors.....plus the time thing that keeps being repeated like in sand lot when they repeat "forever, forever........"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPF8EBaUbI[/youtube]

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:25 pm

legomyego wrote:

IMO (lacking in knowledge on the subject...hence the post) applying for ssi could be a good option for you because then you get free doctors to diagnose these things....which i think you would get more of if you have no documentation. But some say the doctors are horrid where as others say they got awesome doctors.....plus the time thing that keeps being repeated like in sand lot when they repeat "forever, forever........"

I applied once and the 'doctor' they sent me to talked to me for 10 minutes hardly enough time to diagnose anything let alone actually get an idea of how my symptoms effect me. I got denied that time and I don't think that doctor really helped.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:33 pm

lyricalillusions wrote:

What about people who can work but yet can't get a job because their poor social skills keeps them from getting a job, they can't pass an interview or something about them isn't good enough when they apply due to their AS?

If more people stop being so judgmental and ignorant and stop creating all these roadblocks for getting a job and just hire anyone who can do the job, then it be a lot easier for some of us to get a job than not be unable to get one or struggle. Then less people be on SSI too I bet.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2012, 8:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
legomyego wrote:

I applied once and the 'doctor' they sent me to talked to me for 10 minutes hardly enough time to diagnose anything let alone actually get an idea of how my symptoms effect me. I got denied that time and I don't think that doctor really helped.

dang, guess you got the short straw =(

how long ago was that? Maybe try again and ask to be interview for longer than 10 minutes. That's pretty ridiculous....maybe get a good luck charm haha ><

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 10:59 pm

That's crazy, I'm sorry to hear you guys get such as*hole doctors. With all the s**t I tell mine I think if one treated me like how yours' do I'd break down in tears or have a meltdown. 10 minutes really? Do they just ask what's wrong with you and you say some stuff then they tell you to leave? Each doctor I've been to is always like "Well...what's wrong?"

What I did for mine was I wrote this really long letter where I'd record how I felt during my worst phases because I have lots of trouble vocalizing and communicating with people I'm not use to, basically anyone not my parents. I was kind of lucky though because I had my mom with me and she kind of served as a liaison for when I was having trouble saying things until I got more comfortable and could form some sentences on my own to tell him.

If you're having trouble with social issues and awkwardness and kind of come off saying "Well...I think I have aspergers and feel anxious" he might be more likely not to listen. It can be REALLY hard to talk to a doctor, especially if you have social issues and you get flustered. Try writing a note or letter of all the stuff you feel then when you go to the doctor read some of the stuff to him. Its a lot easier for me to type and make my point so it works for me. Who cares if he asks why you're not looking at him and reading from a letter? Tell him you have trouble verbalizing (if you really do) and this makes it easier for you to explain things to him.

Write the kind of stuff you post and share on this forum about how depressed, awkward, alone and unaccepted you feel. How you have trouble doing things, go into detail and explain to him WHY it has caused you pain, hurt you in the long run and most importantly limited you. Even if its just social stuff, like a crippling fear of going out. Give your heart out to the doctor and if he still doesn't listen f**k him he's not worth his diploma and go talk to someone else.

Keep in mind that a good deal of autistic people have lots of trouble showing emotion in their spoken words, if you are one of them then this will help even more.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:53 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
2wheels4ever wrote:
I've been on it since 19. After 3 years they sent a questionnaire to fill out. Some months later, I received a 'we want you to see a special doctor' letter. The special doctor asks me who the President is, to remember the word 'banana' and what I would do if the house was on fire. Based on my answers, SSI sends me a letter a few weeks later telling me I'm healed. My mom had to help me fight to get back on. Another 3 years goes by, same thing. I was nearly catatonic after a devasting relationship collapse at the time. Old doctor reads my wailings and tells me "vot's de matter vith yew?, YEW can verk!' I wish my meltdowns weren't dormant at that moment, a hospitalization would have been a good bump. Another 3 years go by and I'm briefly homeless, so they skipped me over that time

. Around the next 3-year period my mom had to quit working and signed up for SS. She got denied twice despite showing up to their meetings looped out on opiates and benzos. After the 2nd appeal she got on SSA, and they transferred my status to SSDI, despite my only ever having worked 1.5 summers of JTPA jobs and a week at Taco Bell. Currently, it seems they only want me to visit their special doctor after 7 years instead of 3 now, I just did one last fall and the ruling is I get a reprieve for another year. In 2009, California kept cutting the 'small' check from $250 or so, to $150, to $25, to eventually $0, at which point they tried to yank my Medi-cal. The SS office sent me to DPSS and I was able to keep Medi-cal so I still have Medi-Medi, and while I was there I applied for and received EBT food, at $200/ month. Which is almost as good as it was. Prior to 2009 I was working under the table with the good fortune that it was in one of my aspie interests, when that went along with the SS drama I was nearly at the end of my rope. I was able to build up a solid reputation out on my own, working in my special interest. and having some clients tell me I should charge more. Most of what I bring in gets tied up in supplies and inventory, so I've been caught short a few times so far.

On the last visit to Dr. I let the cat out about feeling down about no revenue calls coming in, his suggestion was to hit up Vocational Rehab. Last time I went to them, they sent me to Goodwill where I could expect to earn minimum wage after doing custodial there for 5 years, or being a custodian at this, that or another place, or going to live in a dormitory for 6 months to learn how to pour concrete and nail drywall, which, in most places anyone wants to live, there is a Home Depot where there are already 30 guys standing around in front who can do all that. I don't know how much is changed, but I'm hoping almost quixotically that they'll have anything remotely near my special interests before I give them another try.

I'd say to think out any way to situate yourself in life with your interests before SSI, and only consider as a last resort. In hindsight I wish I hadn't struggled to deny my condition and waste time and energy trying to fit in and being shut out for my troubles

The special doctor asks me who the President is ?

my answer: Elvis Presley. * At which point, i state THAT i am going to start singing the National Anthem. I begin to sing a Hunk of Burning Love by Elvis.

to remember the word 'banana' ?

my answer: Sir, I am NOT a gang member how dare you ask me to remember the word BANDANA.

and what I would do if the house was on fire?

my answer: Take some sleeping pills; i wouldn't want the fire to wake me up. Boogety Boogety Booooooo. The cat in the hat is YOUUUU.

TheSunAlsoRises

Good luck with that. My shrink friend freelances for SSDI/SSI reviews. Short of frank psychosis, he'd punt that under the. "being a smart ass category". Denied.

Most of the folks he okays are people with dementia, CHIs, Bipolar and Schizophrenia. And we are talking the severe end of those spectrum.

He sees very few Aspie cases as those are considered a neurology issue. How many neurologist, who treat adults, know crap about Aspies? Yeah. I know. Not many.

All the Aspies I have heard of on SSI have comorbid severe psych issues. The psych issues got the SSI, with the Aspie part playing a secondary role.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:56 am

Tawaki wrote:

Good luck with that. My shrink friend freelances for SSDI/SSI reviews. Short of frank psychosis, he'd punt that under the. "being a smart ass category". Denied.

Most of the folks he okays are people with dementia, CHIs, Bipolar and Schizophrenia. And we are talking the severe end of those spectrum.

He sees very few Aspie cases as those are considered a neurology issue. How many neurologist, who treat adults, know crap about Aspies? Yeah. I know. Not many.

All the Aspies I have heard of on SSI have comorbid severe psych issues. The psych issues got the SSI, with the Aspie part playing a secondary role.

That would explain how I got in. When I wrote my answer to 'have you ever thought about killing yourself' I was terrified of being rehospitalized if I said yes, but then I thought 'who doesn't think of killing themselves?' Then I thought that wasn't enough for them to go on. I was surprised by the next question; 'have you ever thought about killing other people?' I was in a 'Oh crap I'm probably going to turn into another Jeffrey Dahmer' phase

Shortly before I applied I knew someone whose brother was halfway to becoming one of those people where the fire dept. has to come cut the wall off the house to get them out, he went through a shorter review period and received a larger settlement

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2012, 11:01 am

The real question I should be asking what do you supposed to do while waiting two years for a $600 check? Especially those who are about to be homeless or kicked out of the house or don't have a family, or perpectually unable to work.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Jkid wrote:
The real question I should be asking what do you supposed to do while waiting two years for a $600 check? Especially those who are about to be homeless or kicked out of the house or don't have a family, or perpectually unable to work.

There are a lot of programs available that don't require you to be on disability, you just have to show a need. There are housing, medical and food programs available that have a short wait time. As an example in CA the food program can approve you in as little as 3 days. You really have to do some research to understand what is available to you, it's not like they advertise.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2012, 5:19 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Jkid wrote:

There are a lot of programs available that don't require you to be on disability, you just have to show a need. There are housing, medical and food programs available that have a short wait time. As an example in CA the food program can approve you in as little as 3 days. You really have to do some research to understand what is available to you, it's not like they advertise.

Problem is that Section 8 has a very long wait list to my knowledge. Food stamps is the quickest. But for housing they might as well tell me to go straight to a homeless shelter and stay outside most of the day.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 5:38 pm

Jkid wrote:

Problem is that Section 8 has a very long wait list to my knowledge. Food stamps is the quickest. But for housing they might as well tell me to go straight to a homeless shelter and stay outside most of the day.

That's why you need to get things started ASAP. Better to be on the wait list than just waiting for a miracle. Even if you do have to be homeless for sometime your number will come up eventually. You really need to look closely at the programs because some of them have expedited applications for at risk people. There are also non profit orgs that will help you get all this s**t together, they know what's available.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2012, 6:26 pm

My experience with SSI was being denied and having to have a lawyer help me win the appeal. In my case, I didn't have to go to court, as the lawyer was able to convince SSA to allow me SSI. Even before the recession, most people who applied for SSI got denied, even if they had a visible disability.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:00 am

Rascal77s wrote:
Jkid wrote:

That's why you need to get things started ASAP. Better to be on the wait list than just waiting for a miracle. Even if you do have to be homeless for sometime your number will come up eventually. You really need to look closely at the programs because some of them have expedited applications for at risk people. There are also non profit orgs that will help you get all this sh** together, they know what's available.

I'm not aware if they have them in all areas but locally there is an org called Community Action Partnership that provides a lot of temporary emergency resources like food and clothes. My mom and I went there to get a 4 digit gas bill paid after a former housemate left the heater on, this may end up being a catch-22 for getting help if not already on SSI, if I were (more) in the position of being homeless next week I would call someone like them to see about hotel vouchers. In any case $20 is hella lot better than $0.

The next rung below SSI is General Relief, and I cannot overstate my gratitude at never having had to explore that. At the best of times CA was paying $225 a month, and they get it all back from you 1 way or another. I accompanied someone to their office once, the waiting room was a synergy of the pit of Hell and the mental ward in 'Midnight Express'