Do you wear the same clothes over and over?

Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 2:53 pm

I like the smell of new clothes but I have a habit of wearing them into the ground. I have noticed though that the smaller my clothes collection is, the easier it is to get them washed in time. Someone suggested I get a coverall when I'm working on greasy things. Although I like the idea of keeping my stuff looking good longer, I wouldn't feel as unhindered like when I wear my shorts and black pocket T on hot days. So yeah there's that, and most of my jeans are from when I was 50 pounds heavier so I zip-tied the belt loop on them

Outofsync
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Throughout my school years, I would wear the same shirt or same pants over and over as much as I could. It was remarked on by teachers, my parents,and I got teased and admonished a lot by both adults and classmates. It didn't stop me; I wanted to wear those items and they made me feel secure for whatever reason. The principal at my Jr. High school told me that I was bullied because I did that and if I just change clothes, they'd stop. I tried, but never enough, I guess.

My clothing was always obviously clean as my mother made sure they were, and not torn or messy, ever. Just not changing outfits often enough for every one else's standards.

Both my sons did/do the same thing, but no backlash,. With my adult son, it was the same vest or sweatshirt until it was completely outgrown or beyond repair. With my younger son, it's the same pants every day for weeks if he can get away with it and they same hoodie. I make him change, when I see they are visibly dirty, and get a new hoodie when it'sstained or torn how it can't be repaired, but don't push it if they aren't because I know why he does it.

I started getting into clothing in my early/mid thirties to fit in better but ended up dressing too formally for my environment. I guess I just couldn't get it
right one way or the other. Now, I try fashionable clothing, can do pretty well, but still tend to wear the same pieces into the ground and will repair them until they can't be any longer or noticeable stain can't be removed

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200
Your Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Once I find an outfit that is both comfortable and cute, I wear it over and over again.

impulse94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2012, 4:43 pm

One can get away with wearing the same thing a couple times in a row between washings, work-wise. However, I do recommend changing socks and underwear daily! I have enough of those to get me through to the next wash cycle.

I only recently figured out, if I find a shirt I like (particularly a shirt suitable for work), and it's on sale, buy two! (at least) That way you can almost always have a clean one ready.

For around the house and backyard work, I usually change much less often.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 4:51 pm

I don't wear the same clothes for more than a day without washing them (except jeans, or jumpers if I have had an under top on underneath) but I like wearing the same things so I often buy several things exactly the same. When my clothes wear through it makes me sad. I wore the same jacket for 7 years until it was un-mendable. I still haven't settled with my new jacket even though it's been six months. My family think I am a lunatic, but my boyfriend is relieved that I don't spend money I don't have on clothes.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:00 pm

My initial response to the title question was "are there people who don't????!"

I always where the same thing - trousers, t-shirt, hoodie.
For work it's dark jeans, plain tshirt and thin, knitted hoodie.
On non work says its loose black cotton trousers, one my three non-plain tshirts (souvenir shirts from places I have visited) and a sweatshirt hoodie.

Hoodies must always be full zip.

I work a three day week and have a different tshirt for each day but always wear the same jeans & hoodie. For the four days I'm off (which are consecutive) I'm likely to wear the same clothes for all four days.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:12 pm

I'll wear the same pair of jeans for days at a time and hope nobody notices. :P I change shirts daily, though. My wardrobe consists almost entirely of T-shirts, jeans, shorts, and hoodies. In general, my wardrobe is fairly small--I don't see the use in buying clothes then not wearing them.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:23 pm

Yes i do. All the people know who i am , so i can't get lost in a crowd even if i want to.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:32 pm

Outofsync wrote:
Throughout my school years, I would wear the same shirt or same pants over and over as much as I could. It was remarked on by teachers, my parents,and I got teased and admonished a lot by both adults and classmates. It didn't stop me; I wanted to wear those items and they made me feel secure for whatever reason. The principal at my Jr. High school told me that I was bullied because I did that and if I just change clothes, they'd stop. I tried, but never enough, I guess.

My clothing was always obviously clean as my mother made sure they were, and not torn or messy, ever. Just not changing outfits often enough for every one else's standards.

Same thing with me. One of my teachers constantly complained to my mom saying I came to school with dirty clothes which wasn't even true at all. I was exactly the same way about wearing things that I felt secure in.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2012, 5:59 pm

I usually latch onto a certain style, then buy most of the colors that item comes in.

My favorite for work is Peachskin (machine washable fake silk) bigshirts with knit pants. For around the house, Walmart cotton night gowns.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:20 pm

Well, I have nothing wrong with not changing my clothes at all for days, but when I'm not like camping or something I'm epitomized in a weird way: I have two types of outfits, pajamas and clothes. Of course I wear pajamas at night, and clothes in the day. For clothes I cannot wear any of the same clothes two days in a row, it's rooted out of a desire to make use of all the clothes I have, it's sort of like I want to please all the clothes by wearing them all. For pajamas it's a bit more complicated. I have "odd" days and "even" days. On even days I wear a new outfit and a robe. On odd days I don't wear a robe and wear the same outfit as the last day. The reason the even days are "even" is because I like them more and I prefer even numbers to odd numbers, so that's just how my brain associates them. I also have a sepprate system for Sundays, and with me now being at a school with uniforms things get more complicated, so yeah...

Anyway, my favorite shirt has red skulls on it, and my favorite pants are these black track pants, I try to wear that outfit as much as I can without breaking rules or having to have it get washed.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

drgoodietwoshoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2012, 6:41 pm

Yep. . .I always wear the same 5 outfits to work during the work week. 2 of those shirts are the same style but different colors. . .I didn't realize before why I do it. . .but really it is because I have trouble making a decision, and sometimes I can't stand the thought of wearing anything other than my "staples"

EQ=16/SQ=94 Extremely Systemizing
AQ=38 (2012) 40 (2013)

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:47 pm

I'll wear the same shirt and pants for several days. If they're not dirty/ smelly, why change them?
I do change socks and underwear every day though.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Samual
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2012, 6:52 pm

I generally have 1 inside (pijamas) and one outside set of clothes.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 8:13 pm

When I was a kid, I had school clothes and home clothes. I wore the same home clothes every day. Immediately upon coming home from school, I would change back into my home clothes. School clothes were different each day because my mom made me vary them, but I was allowed to wear the same home clothes all the time, at least until it was time to do laundry, and then I'd wear a different set of home clothes until next laundry day.

Now that I'm in charge of my laundry and clothes, I do wear the same things a lot. Right now I have more sets of home clothes than school clothes. I only have two pairs of school pants, and I tend to wear the same pair of jeans everywhere I go except if I'm just at home. Shirts I change a little more often, but I will still wear the same shirt three days in a row sometimes. I'm not wearing it continuously for three days - if I'm at home, I'm wearing home clothes. If I leave the house, I change into school clothes. So there's a little bit of variation.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2012, 8:31 pm

yes, i do wear the same clothes over and over

a lot of it has to do with not owning a lot of clothes, but i think even if i had access to more clothing..there would still be a limited amount of it by choice, just to make getting dressed as simple and quick/comfortable as possible....it would probably mostly consist of plain colored sleeveless sundresses that are put on in one movement, t-shirts/men's and women's shorts..some baggy pants....now i'm curious about what 4 or 5 t-shirts could sustain me in clothing for a few years..i have a favorite pair of shorts, which i would wear every other day in exchange with a pair of men's baggy shorts if they both currently fit me