Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2013, 12:53 pm

I am waiting for my diagnosis interview and I'm young to make sense of different symptoms. One is my level of clumsiness.

I find that I drop things, not everyday, but regularly. For example cutlery when loading the dishwasher and other smaller items in general. Can never explain it, I just seem to let go!

Recently I have found that I keep knocking my glasses/spectacles off my face when I lift my arm. Seem to be unaware of where my hand is going.

Another thing I do is on occasion loose my balance slightly. This can be when I have been bending over and when in the process of standing up I stumble slightly. When walking through a door way I often seem to misjudge the space and collide with the wall.

None of what I have said above is really severe, just fairly regular. Are these the sort ,of things that would demonstrate problems with motor skills and coordination? :?:

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2013, 1:19 pm

I have the same exact problem. People always joke at me for dropping stuff and misplacing everything. I also have the worst sense of time, which I think is related to being clumsy.

What did the professionals say about this?

SDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2013, 1:30 pm

Nothing in particular. I was previously seeing a psycologist who has referred me for an assessment with the relevant professional.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:16 pm

I'm clumsy, too.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:28 pm

What the OP described sounds like the symptoms of motor clumsiness, but I don't really know for sure. I hope whirlingmind or someone else knowledgeable will give us their more reliable opinions.

I don't consider myself clumsy in that way. I broke 6 wine glasses in the last couple of years. Is it normal? I also dropped a espresso cup on the floor, but miraculously it didn't break.

I suck at sports. I can't drive. I think those must have something to do with autism.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:35 pm

I'm very clumsy and drop things a lot. I also cut myself shaving and cut my fingers when peeling carrots ect. My motor skill problems were so bad that they were noticed in Kindergarten and I was referred to a neurologist for an assessment. I did have very underdeveloped gross and fine motor skills on the exam and I saw an OT for a while. She helped me learn to hold a pencil and print and handwrite (which I had a lot of trouble learning). Also I had trouble with sewing when I had to learn it in middle school Family Studies (formally home economics). I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was eight years old. I was also terrible at sports. One gym teacher actually told me I was the most uncoordinated person he'd ever seen in his life. :lol: I'm terrified of learning how to drive and so far haven't even tried. Also I have an awkward gait when walking and running and a strange posture. My mum says I lean slightly to one side, I slouch, I keep my head down when walking and swing my arms in a strange way.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 11 May 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:36 pm

I'm pretty clumsy. I try not to carry fragile objects nor do I go into knick knack stores very often.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2013, 3:20 pm

I have many problems with as well.
Took me ages and tons of my parents' patience to learn how to swim, ride a bicycle, etc. Although my mom said I learned how to walk at the "normal" age.

I have a very bad handwriting, can't produce the same signature two times in a row, drop many things, and have a really hard time doing things that require hand finesse, such as present wrapping.

SDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2013, 4:11 am

Was cutting the grass the other day and got all tangled up in the power cable.......again! Also have problems with the cable on the vacuum cleaner :x

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2013, 10:37 am

I'm definitely very clumsy. My first grade teacher picked up on it and had me evaluated by the school psychologist, but of course AS was a very new diagnosis then and I was female on top of that. To this day my hands will still randomly let go of things, or I will bump in to doorways, or I will find the one uneven spot on a sidewalk, etc. I have to say, though, I did martial arts for years when I was a kid, which helped a lot. Now I'm at least not a danger to myself.