Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

When you have to get up out of bed because someone is making an inappropriate amount of noise how do you deal with that? Is it the police's problem or do you try to appeal to the offenders' conscience?
What do you do when people are too close to you making their discomforting sounds and smells, or they are in 'your' chair and eating from 'your' plate?
How about when someone at the grocery store unloads their 2 carts item by item, engages in mindless chitchat with the checker, pulls out a bag of coupons, asks the checker the amount twice, then proceeds to start writing out a check?

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

Get in a different grocery line. Watch the people to make sure that isn't what is ahead of you.

As for your chair, establish ground rules. Your chair is your chair. Don't tolerate someone taking it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

you could read the magazines on the rack in the grocery aisle, or better yet, take your own book. don't sweat the small stuff.

loud noise at night is another story. i'd ask for quiet first, and then resort to the police if still necessary.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 8:41 pm

When things like people being loud bother me, i try to calmly and quietly, and politely, explain why im having problems with their noise, and ask them to stop it. If that fails i fight fire with fire. Considering the powerful amplifiers and speaker cabinets I have, I can make people regret being loud.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

In the grocery store example, most likely I would contort my body into a huge sigh (rolling head to an extreme degree, rolling eyes or even dropping my head on my cart of items as a show of extreme annoyance). I handle impatience in a strange way.....by making body movements that convey an utter feeling of helplessness and frustration without actually confronting anyone......or extreme sarcasm, like asking the clerk (if it's 12 noon), "'Scuze me, i'm a little worried I won't get home by 9 pm? Do you think she'll be done before you guys close?" in an extremely SERIOUS tone of voice, like I'm genuinely unsure whether the jerk with their groceries will be done by then. People often react to this kind of sarcasm with a mixture of genuine perplexion and curious wonder.......how would a person think it would take that long, are they nuts?! !?? But the thing is, sarcasm in this way is PERFECT for letting off steam, because you don't **** anyone off yet still get the message across that it is taking way too long :)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
When you have to get up out of bed because someone is making an inappropriate amount of noise how do you deal with that? Is it the police's problem or do you try to appeal to the offenders' conscience?

I go find them and then say in a loud voice "NOW LOOK GODDAMMIT!"

What do you do when people are too close to you making their discomforting sounds and smells, or they are in 'your' chair and eating from 'your' plate?

"Are you this close because you are marking your territory? It'd be easier to just pee on me" if they are in my chair "Move!" and I stand there hovering over them until they just can't take it anymore. I don't have a specific plate but I do have a spoon. Nobody touches Mom's spoon. Not if they want dinner they don't!

How about when someone at the grocery store unloads their 2 carts item by item, engages in mindless chitchat with the checker, pulls out a bag of coupons, asks the checker the amount twice, then proceeds to start writing out a check?

"Are ya'll gonna get a room or something? I'm not in a hurry or nothing, I'm just saying..."

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

Something else you can do in a grocery store line, pick up a candy bar and open it and eat it and throw the wrapper on top of the big pile of groceries in front of you. I saw that done before, it's funny.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:42 pm

As for the grocery store I've been tempted very often to light up one of my cigars right in the middle of the place, and explain it by saying if they're going to take up my time I might as well get something out of it.

I did have a horrible shopping experience once where there was an old woman in front of me and the checker was dawdling. My bike was outside losing air from its tire with each second, I was anxious to get out of there before it created a concern for my safety. I said 'please...' under my breath and the checker spent 5 minutes browbeating me in front of the entire store about how I'll 'be older too some day', it wasn't anything at all to do with the old woman but some people just get it up their backsides that we're just intolerant meanies that the world needs to be protected from

Anyway about loud music neighbors, I've learned from someone I trust that all the neighbor has to do is name-drop a judge they might know to the police, and the law won't be enforced on them. Why even have the laws then? It's just like school where the jocks get to disregard the written rules

When is it appropriate to draw the autism card to have your voice heard?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:32 am

2wheels4ever wrote:
Anyway about loud music neighbors, I've learned from someone I trust that all the neighbor has to do is name-drop a judge they might know to the police, and the law won't be enforced on them.

In my neighborhood if you name drop a judge the police ask who your parole officer is.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:53 am

Quote:

I take it as permission from them to play marching band music loudly at 1am.

Quote:
What do you do when people are too close to you making their discomforting sounds and smells

Try farting. Or swinging your elbows about.

Quote:
or they are in 'your' chair and eating from 'your' plate?

I find another chair or plate; they're all the same.
Quote:

Self-checkout! I can bag my own groceries faster than the checkout operators.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I