Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Have you dealt with CPS/family services?
I have children and have not ever had to deal with them 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
I have children and have been monitored by CPS/family services 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I have children and have had them taken away 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
I do not have children and wanted to see the results 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 22

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 12:01 am

I read an article about a woman in the UK who had her infant taken from her at birth because of a learning disability. I was curious how many Aspergian parents were affected by this type of discrimination. I am a parent with AS, and have never dealt with this (in the US). I will admit it makes me a bit nervous.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:18 am

Edit: Oops. I just re-read the header. Maybe I shouldn't have answered this one. Sorry if I overstepped. :oops:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 11:06 am

CPS visited my house once when I was a kid because a neighbor told them false stories that we went door to door begging for food. Granted, I did not have a very good understanding of boundaries, and i would occasionally show up at a neighbor's house.... :roll:

kyrene
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2012, 11:06 am

I have aspergers and I am a parent of a 3 year old boy. My son was taken away from me by cps on april 19 2011. He was taken for neglect the main reasons were past domestic violence with his father a year prior and I smoked marijuana and had aspergers. In all the cps reports most all of them mentioned that they were concerned because I have aspergers. I was offered drug treatment and domestic violence services which I have completed its been over a year now and the only thing that is holding me back is what they call my "mental illness" they had their psychiatrist diagnose me. She diagnosed me with anti social personality disorder which I don't believe I have! Dealing with them has been a nightmare they have bullied me called me a liar in front of my son made things up in court. I have a public defender so she is little help. I'm not allowed to. Get a job or not be in housing or go to school. All I can say is that when u first get involved you have to do everything they say and you have 6 months to do it in or they come and take your child! If anybody has any suggestions on something that I can do I am open for some suggestions.

Juliana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2012, 11:22 am

I have children and have never dealt with them, and see no reason why I would. Our kids are very well taken care of. I do, however, worry about how I would be treated in court if I got divorced. I have an appointment for an evaluation, and I've been wondering if I should cancel it. What if I got an official diagnosis and later got divorced? Would my spouse be able to use it against me? Would the court deny me custody based on it? Would I even have to tell them? It scares me so much that even though I'm not planning on getting divorced, I haven't even mentioned to my spouse the fact that I'm getting an evaluation.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 11:35 am

I do not have children, I know about several parents with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities, with long-term substance abuse, with disorders affecting their emotional health such as personality disorder(s), depression, PTSD or a combination of any of those disorders had their children taken from them and whose children are with them/were with them last time I worked where they were but are/were planned to be put into care asap.

As for parents with AS, I don't know of parents who are officially diagnosed with it so... no idea. The local social youth services (CPS) knows I am autistic because they pay the treatment for it. I wonder if anything fishy is going to happen once all those kids and teens of today whose diagnoses are known like that grow up and have children of their own?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 12:05 pm

Someone from CPS visited me once when my son was two months old. Someone called them right after he was born and they finally got around to come visit me in March. She said someone did come by the first week he was born but no one was there. My kid wasn't taken because there was no sign of abuse or neglect and she could tell by how my baby was acting that there was nothing going on. I think she came by just to close the case and she said them coming that late is a good thing because it means they are not that worried and there are other things they worry about first so they come to them right away.

I found out through Roger Meyers here that CPS always gets bogus reports from the hospitals here (ran by the same company) about parents with disabilities, it has happened to deaf parents, parents who are blind or have other disability issues and it even has happened to parents with autism. But no baby has been taken for that as far as I know. He said they get sick of getting reports about parents and it's over a disability. Okay if the parent was failing to take care of their child or was doing abuse, then it be valid to report it and it wouldn't matter if the parent has a disability or not. I was reported over having AS because they were concerned the social worker said.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.