Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 12:29 am

Is anyone able to explain how CBT works for a visual thinkers?
The counsellor I am working with keeps bringing up CBT, however I cant understand what it is or how it works. The explanation seems to be directed at verbal thinkers and I can't figure it out.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:05 am

CBT is about talking to yourself in rational ways to break out of loops of negative thoughts and feelings that make people depressed or anxious.

Someone says that they are worthless, and the therapist helps them figure out why they feel worthless, and someone says that they screwed up a project at work so they feel worthless, and the therapist helps them figure out that screwing up a project at work does not make them worthless, because the project can be fixed, and they have succeeded on many projects in the past, and they are generally good at their work.

It is like using reason to control bad emotional reactions, so they don't go into neverending loops and make you depressed for a long time. I don't know how well it would work for autistic people or visual thinkers. I think that it is moar suited to NTs and verbal thinkers who talk to themselves in their minds, saying bad things, then good things to defeat the bad things. It might be a struggle for others, because you are going to have to verbalize your thoughts a lot to use the techniques, but it could help you verbalize your thoughts bester, which could make it worth a try, I think.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:40 am

btbnnyr wrote:
CBT is about talking to yourself in rational ways to break out of loops of negative thoughts and feelings that make people depressed or anxious.

Someone says that they are worthless, and the therapist helps them figure out why they feel worthless, and someone says that they screwed up a project at work so they feel worthless, and the therapist helps them figure out that screwing up a project at work does not make them worthless, because the project can be fixed, and they have succeeded on many projects in the past, and they are generally good at their work.

It is like using reason to control bad emotional reactions, so they don't go into neverending loops and make you depressed for a long time. I don't know how well it would work for autistic people or visual thinkers. I think that it is moar suited to NTs and verbal thinkers who talk to themselves in their minds, saying bad things, then good things to defeat the bad things. It might be a struggle for others, because you are going to have to verbalize your thoughts a lot to use the techniques, but it could help you verbalize your thoughts bester, which could make it worth a try, I think.

Thanks for your reply, reason to control bad emotional reactions makes sense. However, what about situations, like the tags on my new shirt irritated me and I was annoyed I forgot to cut them out before leaving home? Or, other people are yelling at eachother and I can't sleep? What if I am anxious because I dont trust the other person?

Is verbalising thoughts essential to use the CBT technique? I dont say things to myself like that, and I really don't think constantly verbalising thoughts can work for me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

I think that the general idea of CBT is to train people to be able to take a step back from whatever is causing them to feel sh***y.

Verbalizing your thoughts is used to do that, because most NTs have a constant stream of verbal thoughts running through their minds, and they naturally talk to themselves in their minds.

Visual thinkers can use pictures and videos instead of talking to themselves in their minds. When I get annoyed by something, such as the door not being fully open or fully closed, I immediately think of a picture, usually a setting, that I like in my mind, or I play a video of myself on a rollercoaster or skiing down a mountain, to reset my mind and shift my thoughts away from the annoyance. Afterwards, I don't feel annoyed anymore, and I can usually get on with what I was doing, without even getting up to fix the door.

I find transitions difficult, so I will also use visualization to shift to a different activity. Instead of telling myself in my mind that I need to do something else, I will visualize some pictures that I like, and this will zoom my focus out of the thing that I am doing and free up my mind to move on to something else. Otherwise, it is really hard to pry myself away from the thing that I am doing. For me, visualization works, because I like to do it, and it is easy for me to do. Generating verbal thoughts would be moar difficult and less effective, because that takes a lot moar effort than thinking of a picture or video for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

I think CBT works best for people with rather simple kinds of problems...with more apparent solutions. But its never done much for me because changing my thinking does not change how I feel or my situation. So it turns into me getting fed up with the therapist seeming to essentially want me to use all my energy to lie to myself and distract myself from how I feel. Well I guess it just doesn't work very well for me...because in order to distract myself from anxious thoughts or depression I can't have the anxiety and depression distracting me from distracting myself.

I mean I almost end up feeling like it's comparable to putting a claustrophobic person in a box and not letting them out and telling them to just shut up and think about something else and quit having anxiety reactions. Not exactly possible is it? So if CBT makes me feel that way its probably not the therapy for me.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think CBT works best for people with rather simple kinds of problems...with more apparent solutions. But its never done much for me because changing my thinking does not change how I feel or my situation. So it turns into me getting fed up with the therapist seeming to essentially want me to use all my energy to lie to myself and distract myself from how I feel. Well I guess it just doesn't work very well for me...because in order to distract myself from anxious thoughts or depression I can't have the anxiety and depression distracting me from distracting myself.

I mean I almost end up feeling like it's comparable to putting a claustrophobic person in a box and not letting them out and telling them to just shut up and think about something else and quit having anxiety reactions. Not exactly possible is it? So if CBT makes me feel that way its probably not the therapy for me.

i think you hit the nail on the head there. autistic disorders go way beyond simple thought issues.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

i think you hit the nail on the head there. autistic disorders go way beyond simple thought issues.

True, though I would say even my depression, anxiety and PTSD go beyond simple thought issues as well. But CBT helps some people with those things.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think CBT works best for people with rather simple kinds of problems...with more apparent solutions. But its never done much for me because changing my thinking does not change how I feel or my situation.

Agree. I do not feel that my problems are caused by my thoughts, but about more fundamental things like my situation, not understanding _[insert fundamental concept, such as people, relationships, emotions, here]___. I feel that dealing with the tangible problems will naturally sort out problems with thinking. But maybe it is also the other way that improving thinking will naturally improve problems. Oh well... I have a better understanding what is trying to be achieved now. Thanks

aussie80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

This thread very much resonated with my personal experience of having a visual mind and struggling to get any benefit out of CBT classes and work sheets. Today I found and ordered this book:

"Visual CBT: Using Pictures to Help You Apply Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to Change Your Life"
ISBN-10: 0857083546 | ISBN-13: 978-0857083548

I will post an update after receiving the book and getting into it.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:10 pm

thanks, sounds like it might be useful. Ive still got people trying to do word based CBT with me :/ its really not working

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

Cogs wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Thanks for your reply, reason to control bad emotional reactions makes sense. However, what about situations, like the tags on my new shirt irritated me and I was annoyed I forgot to cut them out before leaving home? Or, other people are yelling at eachother and I can't sleep? What if I am anxious because I dont trust the other person?

Is verbalising thoughts essential to use the CBT technique? I dont say things to myself like that, and I really don't think constantly verbalising thoughts can work for me.

Tags on shirts = sensory issues, not irrational or illogical thoughts dictating undesirable emotions. Same with other people yelling, that has nothing to do with your thoughts being warped and causing you distress. Trust issues, maybe, depending on what you're thinking and whether it's reasonable and logical or if you're not thinking clearly and your mistrust stems from whatever type of illogical thinking you're using.

No, you don't have to speak - it can be 100% reading & writing and self administered as I did last Summer.

There's a good reason this is the most often recommended book by doctors for CBT & millions of copies have been sold - give it a read, even if it doesn't fix everything you'll at least learn a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-New- ... avid+burns

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

Cogs wrote:
thanks, sounds like it might be useful. Ive still got people trying to do word based CBT with me :/ its really not working

So then apply the CBT analytical techniques to the images you see? This would still require you to interpret them into words and then conduct the logical counter thoughts in words, though.. but you may be able to adapt written CBT to include analyzing visual thoughts and make it work better for you if you try.

aussie80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2013, 4:18 pm

The book I referred to in my earlier post arrived and I finished it. It wasn't a visual form of CBT. It was the same CBT stuff. But explained very well and clearly using pictures to communicate the ideas. I got some benefit from going through the book. But only very short term and going through it again doesn't seem to kick the benefits back in. I think it explained CBT much better than some of courses I have attended. Was worth the purchase anyway.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

Interesting to hear, thanks :)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

My counsellor did CBT visually with me and it was very useful. I only get CBT for specific issues, though (mostly anxiety).

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:15 pm

MathGirl wrote:
My counsellor did CBT visually with me and it was very useful. I only get CBT for specific issues, though (mostly anxiety).

How did she do it?