"YOU, an ASPIE? but you seem so NORMAL"

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:26 am

So I was doing some work today for an interest buddy who's a teacher and semi-famous local music critic and he commented on how thorough my work was, I replied "yeah, that's probably due to Asperger's". He had never noticed any obvious traits and I explained that although I might have appeared 'social' I have had problems connecting all my life. In a way I felt like if I was a gay 'bear' trying to explain my hypothetical 'gayness' to someone on the same football team or something

But in the end it was a good day; he shared that he has 2 classic auties in his family, 1 completely nonverbal and the other higher functioning, and of his aspie students he considered them to be his top students but would not have ever guessed they were aspies had they not disclosed themselves. Then the 2 best comments of the day: the world NEEDS aspies for their knowledge and fine tuned skills, and he guessed my age to be younger than him, and he's in his mid-30s

It's refreshing to run into someone with a true thumbnail sketch of AS who has not known one personally

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:32 am

I actually thought someone said those words you put in your thread title.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:42 am

League_Girl wrote:

Agreed^
Perhaps un " " your title.

ozman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

I recently came out of the aspie closet for want of a better word.. I am undiagnosed but I know I sit on the spectrum somewhere. My wife actually was the one who worked it out... Funny I am now fighting to save my marriage but thats a story for another thread. I tell some people I have AS and others I choose not to.. Most people who know about AS say, oh yea, I can see that, we just thought u were a little bit quirky.. but at the end of the day they don't care.. I told my engineering brother.. his response .. what rubbish.. nothing wrong with you... he does protest to much I think.??

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:33 am

Teredia wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Agreed^
Perhaps un " " your title.

Can't fit everything in the title bar luv, anyway the experience gave me the idea that sometimes telling others can be a good icebreaker