No (Diagnosed AS) 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
No (Suspected AS) 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
No (NT/not AS) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 37

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

I'm female, diagnosed with AS and voted yes. Despite having struggled with mental illness from a young age (first panic attack at age 3 and OCD at age 8 ) and dealing with bullies, I actually had a very enjoyable childhood.

I look back on my childhood with a strong sense of nostalgia, remembering all the games I played (video and otherwise), the imaginary friends I had, the shows and movies I watched, and the time I spent with my parents and siblings. I'd do it all over again if I could.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

No for me.My father did things to the family that no child should experience. Then school was hell with all the bullying going on and the teachers blaming me for it.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’" --George Bernard Shaw

Man, there are times I wonder what kind of a person I might have been had my childhood been happy and my parents loving.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

I enjoyed my childhood as well. I used to think I didn't have a normal one or a happy one but I realize I did because I was fed and taken care of, I had friends despite the rejections and the meanness, I played, I was lucky to have understanding parents who wanted to help me get better. I enjoyed lot of field trips my class went on when I was six and seven.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Man, there are times I wonder what kind of a person I might have been had my childhood been happy and my parents loving.

I have wondered this many times myself......certainly wouldn't have ended up where I did

angryguy91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

My childhood was fun. A few factors contributed to this. 1) I grew up in the safe environment of the suburbs. 2) My family wasn't dysfunctional (if anything, I was the cause of any dysfunction in my family) and 3) NTs are generally alot more accepting when they're young kids. Yeah, they can be as*holes still, but when they're young, they haven't fully embraced social rules yet.

Yes, I had meltdowns in school all the time and was constantly seen as an oddball, but I wasn't completely stigmatized like I was in MS and HS because of my socially awkwardness. My only friends outside of school were my neighbors, but they treated me like a friend despite my obvious weirdness. Back when I was a child too, I believed I could form friendships easier, but that all changed when my peers started hitting puberty.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

No. I have been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of my childhood.

Juliana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I enjoyed my childhood as well. I used to think I didn't have a normal one or a happy one but I realize I did because I was fed and taken care of, I had friends despite the rejections and the meanness, I played, I was lucky to have understanding parents who wanted to help me get better. I enjoyed lot of field trips my class went on when I was six and seven.

This is me too. If you would have asked me at 17 if I had a happy childhood, you likely wouldn't have received a positive response. My mom didn't know how to handle me or why I acted like I did, and so I was yelled at a lot. But now in my 30s I realize that, all things considered, I had it pretty good. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough and I have some great memories. Granted, the negative memories have faded quite a bit. They don't have the same impact that they used to. Events that used to trouble me greatly then are now vague memories. But the memories of laughter, smiles, and good times are still there. And I had some wonderful experiences.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

MeshugenahMama wrote:
Quote:

I have wondered this many times myself......certainly wouldn't have ended up where I did

If I had a nickel for every time a thought like that's crossed my mind, I'd be a billionaire, and then it wouldn't matter... Unfortunately, it's hard to find anybody who will pay you for thinking. They usually pay you not to think, but they want you to do something while you're not thinking too.