Going to the psychologist for the first time - advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

Hello,

For about a year and a half I've been suspecting I might be on the spectrum. I also suspect I might have some sort of anxiety disorder (probably Generalized Anxiety Disorder and/or Social Anxiety Disorder). I might be completely wrong about everything though. Anyway, I've been obsessing about it an awful lot and I've been trying to find as much information about it as possible. I've come to a point in my life where I really feel I need help. I need to be able to understand myself and I need certain assistance (therapy, learning how to handle certain situations etc).

I'm not sure how it works in other countries but in Sweden not all psychologists can do assessments for ASD, so I need to get a referral from a psychologist to someone who can assess me. Probably going in the end of this month. I've never been to a psychologist before so I've got no experience. Should've done this a long time ago but I've sort of been too proud and too scared to actually do it.

Just wondering if you've got any suggestions on what to say and how to talk about all of my suspicions? I want to be well prepared. I think I might bring my 13 pages long list of traits/behaviours and how they affect my life and show that. Anything else you think I should do? I'm quite nervous and scared about the whole thing. I'm not great at putting my thoughts into words and I worry they'll say nothing's "wrong" with me. Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

rebbieh

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

I think having things in written form is a great idea. It is so easy to forget things in a high stress environment like a first meeting with a therapist, especially with a possible anxiety disorder.

I've been diagnosed with both Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder. They can be rough, but there is help out there.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

I will be going for the first time on the 26th of this month.

If I do not like whoever I get I will just get up and walk out.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Go into the General Autism forum here. There is at least one post with links to online tests. Take the tests, save the results in a file, and print out at least three copies, one for your records, one to take with you to the psychologist, and one to take to the doc who does your testing. And definitely do bring in the notes you wrote down, as there may be stuff there that is not included in the online tests. Also, some of it may refer to other conditions that are often co-morbids with Autism spectrum disorders.

Good luck! :D

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

All of the above are great suggestions.

1. Write down everything that causes you to suspect it.
2. Write down how they are an issue for you
3. Take the quizzes, but under no means let on that you might have already decided you have it. (I don't know if you do think that way or not, but many people cannot stand self-diagnosis and that could hurt one's credibility).

Be honest, and don't try to put on a social face when you talk to the psychologist. Just be you.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:19 pm

questor wrote:
Go into the General Autism forum here. There is at least one post with links to online tests. Take the tests, save the results in a file, and print out at least three copies, one for your records, one to take with you to the psychologist, and one to take to the doc who does your testing. And definitely do bring in the notes you wrote down, as there may be stuff there that is not included in the online tests. Also, some of it may refer to other conditions that are often co-morbids with Autism spectrum disorders.

Good luck! :D

Okay, but if I do all the tests and bring the results, wouldn't that make the psychologist think I really want an AS diagnosis and nothing else (since all of the tests point towards it)? Do you know what I mean?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:12 am

Anyone else got any advice? What can I expect?

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2012, 11:20 am

Just wondering whether you've seen a psychologist yet? I'd like to hear your experience. I'm seeing one tomorrow and have no idea what to expect :?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

treblecake wrote:
Just wondering whether you've seen a psychologist yet? I'd like to hear your experience. I'm seeing one tomorrow and have no idea what to expect :?

Yes. Long story short, they won't help me. The thing is, I'm moving to another city in a couple of months (I'm going to try going off to university) so they won't have time to help me before then. I asked for a referral to the people who can assess me in my "new city." They won't give me one even though I have the right to get one. Even the people who work at the place where they assess people (in the city I'm moving to) said I need a referral and they're even willing to talk to the people here so I can get one. But the people working here avoid it which I think is quite terrible. I have the right to choose where I want to get assessed and to get a referral. I guess I have to keep fighting to get one. It's very confusing though.

I hope whoever you see tomorrow will be more helpful. Good luck.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2012, 7:16 pm

rebbieh wrote:
treblecake wrote:

Yes. Long story short, they won't help me. The thing is, I'm moving to another city in a couple of months (I'm going to try going off to university) so they won't have time to help me before then. I asked for a referral to the people who can assess me in my "new city." They won't give me one even though I have the right to get one. Even the people who work at the place where they assess people (in the city I'm moving to) said I need a referral and they're even willing to talk to the people here so I can get one. But the people working here avoid it which I think is quite terrible. I have the right to choose where I want to get assessed and to get a referral. I guess I have to keep fighting to get one. It's very confusing though.

I hope whoever you see tomorrow will be more helpful. Good luck.

Well that sucks :(
Thanks and goodluck to you too.