Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

What does AS really mean for the people with it as I think some of the "issues" should be sovleable easily but for some reason they are not so easy to solve

In short
It's seams to be hard to over come things
I just want to be normal :cry:

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2012, 5:41 pm

But what is normal? Every person you talk to will define that differently.

AS to me means struggle - yes, disabilities, hardship... and much more. But it also means I am strong - determined - driven - unique - artistic - loyal - smart in ways many aren't...

Who would I be without AS? I couldn't tell you... but as much as I have my whoa is me moments... and my "I'm so stupid" moments... what would I be without those upsides too?

I strive to remember the good bits... even if some days that feels near impossible. Keep your head up! I bet you are wonderful in more ways than I can count :)

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jul 2012, 8:08 am

If the issues were easily solvable, they wouldn't warrant a diagnosis. The "some reason" that they are not easily solvable is because it involves the brain, which is one of the most complex entities to exist in the Universe, and that's counting the Universe itself.

Valkyrie is right, AS can bring some unique perspectives and talents. Sometimes they can take a little digging to find, but with the right support and your own determination they can be found and cherished.

But I also look at it this way - for me, AS means that I've had to work hard at 'simple' things my whole life. Really, really hard. But because of this, I now find myself in a position where working 'really hard' is not an issue anymore - I'm used to it. And because I'm used to it, I'm able to deal with a lot of things NTs have trouble with. Like public speaking. Or directing a 100 strong stage-show cast. Or being calm in a medical emergency. Things that have surprised me.

And when people marvel at my ability to do those things, I think "you think this is stressful? Try being in my head for a week!"

What AS can do is build resilience. How can you practice getting up again if you never fall down? Yes it takes energy, yes it takes determination, and there will be a lot of failures along the way, but it's those who have never 'failed' who don't know how to get back up again when they eventually do.

So maybe the best thing about AS is that the issues aren't easily solvable at all. Maybe you've been given your own personal "brain gym" to practice getting through some really difficult stuff. But that's up to you (and, you know...luck). :wink:

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2012, 8:40 am

Nikkt wrote:
And when people marvel at my ability to do those things, I think "you think this is stressful? Try being in my head for a week!"

I may or may not have AS, still waiting to find out, but I experience hypervigilance and anxiety much (most) of the time. Whoah do I relate to this....plus it made me smile :D

Nikkt wrote:
What AS can do is build resilience. How can you practice getting up again if you never fall down? Yes it takes energy, yes it takes determination, and there will be a lot of failures along the way, but it's those who have never 'failed' who don't know how to get back up again when they eventually do.

So maybe the best thing about AS is that the issues aren't easily solvable at all. Maybe you've been given your own personal "brain gym" to practice getting through some really difficult stuff. But that's up to you (and, you know...luck). :wink:

Thank you, that's inspiring.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 9:01 am

To me it's just like the title of this website: I'm from another planet. I just wish people could better understand me and not misinterpret me. I'm tired of being considered selfish and a liar just because I don't understand body language and wish people would just talk to me for 5 minutes before making such unfair accusations. I also wish I could understand women on more than a professional level because the more I try the more it seems like I'm so far off the mark. Being hopelessly oblivious doesn't make my girlfriend search any easier to say the least.

Nikkt wrote:
But I also look at it this way - for me, AS means that I've had to work hard at 'simple' things my whole life. Really, really hard. But because of this, I now find myself in a position where working 'really hard' is not an issue anymore - I'm used to it. And because I'm used to it, I'm able to deal with a lot of things NTs have trouble with. Like public speaking. Or directing a 100 strong stage-show cast. Or being calm in a medical emergency. Things that have surprised me.

Excellent observation. I once did a presentation in front of a large group and those in attendance were blown away. The quiet, awkward guy totally blew everyone else (including the extreme extroverts) out of the water and to say they weren't expecting it would be an understatement. Ditto to the medical emergencies. I've been involved in a few and I have been told how calm and professional I am with them.