Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2012, 6:49 pm

I'm not really sure where else to go about this issue, but I think I have Asperger's syndrome. I have related to a lot of articles and seen a lot of myself in the symptoms of Asperger's. Sorry if this is a long post, but bear with me. I tend to have very obsessive, narrow interests. For instance, I got interested in filming things and I wanted a specific model of camera. I learned everything I could about it, read reviews, watched reviews, everything I could do. For a while, it was all I would talk about. I feel that I am clumsy; I learned to ride a bike at age 11. As long as we're talking about clumsiness, I absolutely can't play soccer or basketball. I simply can't. I trip over my own feet playing soccer. I am very awkward; I just don't know how to react to some things. Also, I can't get a waitress's attention. It feels so weird to ask for something as simple as extra napkins or whatever. Everyone I meet has an impression that I'm intelligent. My teachers, parents, peers, etc. I love having a routine; I hate change. I develop habits extremely easily. I'm not very good at making friends, but when someone becomes friends with me, they tend to love me. In a relationship, I don't really know what to do. I show affection, but I do have a hard time verbalizing it when in person. The most I can do is "I love you," or "You're amazing," but nothing more than that. The thing is, I really want relationships, I'm just bad at creating them.

A big thing is that I can't empathize. I have a very hard time "standing in someone else's shoes." Someone, for example, will tell me that their grandmother has died, and I just won't know what to say, and I really won't care too much, even though I have had a grandmother die. It feels like I'm being rude ad mean.

Even with all those symptoms, I have reasons to think that I don't have Asperger's. I lack autistic behavior, like a sensory issue. I have a distaste to loud noises though. I will hear someone putting away silverware and get angry for some reason. It's weird. I had no delay or problem at any time with speaking.

The biggest thing is that I probably would have been diagnosed as a child. I'm only 14 (if knowing that helps), so at this day in age, a child with AS would not have gone unnoticed.

I don't really know where else to turn. I feel that if I tell a guidance counselor, my school will try to put me in special classes, but I doubt my school has a social skills class. The point is, I just want to know if I have Asperger's or not, and if I should get help. Thanks very much.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

I do not believe autistic behavior is sensory issues. Autistics/aspergers tend to have sensory issues ie: co-morbid sensory processing disorder (SPD)

So - you can be autistic or have aspergers without sensory issues - but it is common for aspies to have them

But to just let you know - getting angry as a reaction to noise sounds like a sensory issue to me.

I may be wrong... but this is what I remember when researching aspergers/autism.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
I do not believe autistic behavior is sensory issues. Autistics/aspergers tend to have sensory issues ie: co-morbid sensory processing disorder (SPD)

So - you can be autistic or have aspergers without sensory issues - but it is common for aspies to have them

But to just let you know - getting angry as a reaction to noise sounds like a sensory issue to me.

I may be wrong... but this is what I remember when researching aspergers/autism.

Thanks very much. I'm still not completely clear on this whole thing other than a pretty good understanding of the symptoms.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

you can take an online test :)

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2012, 9:32 pm

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
you can take an online test :)

Thanks so much! This one helped much more than the others I've taken!

Aspie score: 137 of 200
NT score: 72 of 200
Very likely an Aspie.

Of course, this can't conclude that I have it. I'll need a professional diagnosis, and I plan to see one. I would kind of want to have Asperger's, only because it would explain almost all the challenges and quirks I've had throughout life.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2012, 9:57 pm

oh I totally get that :)

Glad that test helped! It sure helped me too :)

My results:

Your Aspie score: 185 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 17 of 200

Autism/Aspergers is a spectrum, as you probably read. I wish you an easy road to diagnosis :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm

@alecazam - You're a pretty good writer. It's refreshing. I get so tired sometimes of having to wade through poor grammar and spelling just to get the gist of someone's post. It's very tiring to "correct" their mistakes as I'm reading. The fact that lots of these posters are twice your age is also disappointing, lazy, and inexcusable. Yeah, that's the aspie in me. I can't help it. Welcome to WP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm

Talk to your doctor.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 12:32 am

redrobin62 wrote:
@alecazam - You're a pretty good writer. It's refreshing. I get so tired sometimes of having to wade through poor grammar and spelling just to get the gist of someone's post. It's very tiring to "correct" their mistakes as I'm reading. The fact that lots of these posters are twice your age is also disappointing, lazy, and inexcusable. Yeah, that's the aspie in me. I can't help it. Welcome to WP.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that way. There is no excuse for frequent bad spelling when every major browser has a built-in spell checker.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 5:03 am

outofplace wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that way. There is no excuse for frequent bad spelling when every major browser has a built-in spell checker.
That's so true! :)

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2012, 8:49 am

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
outofplace wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

That's so true! :)

I try hard to have correct spelling, I'm glad it's paid off! :D

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

outofplace wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

They only work if you have a vague idea of the spelling.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

outofplace wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

My spell checker doesn't work, always suggests American English when I just want to use normal English. I can't work out how to fix it :(

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
My spell checker doesn't work, always suggests American English when I just want to use normal English. I can't work out how to fix it :(
That happens to me, but I just use a mixture of American English or British English to solve the problem.