20-50 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
50+ 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Zero 25%  25%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 151

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

I went through the first 14 years of my life with almost no friends at all. Now I have many, many friends whom I never take for granted. I have Aspergers and ADHD and I want people to understand that having Aspergers does not mean you are just bad at making friends. There is so much more to it than that.

Make sure you recognize a friend when you have one too!

Here is a definition of a friend in my opinion:

Someone for whom there is a strong mutual regard, that you love and who returns the feeling. Someone who you think about regularly and keep track of, even if you do not speak to them regularly. Someone you have a lifelong bond with that you can be open and honest with about many things. Someone who cares about your well being and helps you and vice versa... These are rough parameters, friendships can be quite dynamic.

Last edited by Projectile on 15 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Until last month, zero.

I met my beatiful, loving, understanding, sexy, sweet, awesome, NT girlfriend

she is my whole life now, thus my answer is "One"

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

Do you have to spend time with them for them to qualify as friends? I know many people I would consider a friend, but I really only spend time with my wife.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

=/
I guess that depends on whether anyone on here considers me a friend. Not many, that's for sure.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

I put two, which includes my boyfriend and my one friend. I didn't count God, my Mum or my sister. Last year I had four friends, but one died and the other does not seem interested in continuing our friendship. I am happy with the number of friends I have and I don't need or want any more.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

Aharon wrote:
Do you have to spend time with them for them to qualify as friends? I know many people I would consider a friend, but I really only spend time with my wife.

I'd say no.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

4, including my husband and my brother.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

3-5, depending on your definition. Only 2 of them are people I could hang out with socially. The others include a neighbor that I share my interest in cars with and we help each other with our various home improvement and automotive projects. One of the others is a borderline ADHD/aspie I work with and whose car I am helping to fix. The other two are two sisters I work with whose cars I am also assisting with for no other reason than I don't want to be alone all the time and when I work on their cars I have someone to talk to.

(My special interest= cars)

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

I have 59 friends on Facebook, so I used that as my deciding factor. Most of them are coworkers or extended family. I do have a friend from high school on there too.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

One book I was reading on autism defined a friend as someone who you interact with regularly AND who seeks out interaction with you regularly. Basically, if they seek you out to spend time with you, they count, otherwise, not really.

I think it's a good definition. By that definition, I've got around 5 friends. But the number is about to drop to 1 because I just moved to a new city. Hard to have regular interaction with said friends now.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

Hard for me to say. I have online ones I chat with and in real life I have my husband and my old friend from elementary school but we never see each other nor talk to each other and we only live one city away and that is right across the river. Not far from where I live. I also have my husband's family and my own. Right now I feel I truly have none in real life. But I can be open with my husband about anything and have never hid anything from him. I even share fantasies with him that come to my head and he is open to all of them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:03 pm

PixelPony wrote:
One book I was reading on autism defined a friend as someone who you interact with regularly AND who seeks out interaction with you regularly. Basically, if they seek you out to spend time with you, they count, otherwise, not really.

I think it's a good definition. By that definition, I've got around 5 friends. But the number is about to drop to 1 because I just moved to a new city. Hard to have regular interaction with said friends now.

In that case, I have just one; my wife.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

Projectile wrote:
Someone for whom there is a strong mutual regard, that you love and who returns the feeling. Someone who you think about regularly and keep track of, even if you do not speak to them regularly. Someone you have a lifelong bond with that you can be open and honest with about many things. Someone who cares about your well being and helps you and vice versa... These are rough parameters, friendships can be quite dynamic.

I like your definition of a friend. Its a shame I don't have this kind of relationship with more people. There is some I hold in this regard, but feel they do not return the same to me unfortunately. The people I believe to hold the same value in me would be 2 or 3, I guess.

TheModestBighead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2012, 5:16 pm

Zero.

Cadawell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

PixelPony wrote:

By this definition, I'd say I have 3. Two people who I regularly talk to on Skype and my sister, who I don't talk to as regularly but who does seek out my company when I visit home.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

No friends. I didn't count my husband because I didn't think you were talking about SOs, but now I'll say I am definitely not alone and feel fulfilled socially just by being married.

I used to have a small group of friends throughout high school and college; and a couple of friends during culinary school. I'm spectacularly bad at picking friends now so I don't bother.