Should we stop using the term Autism to avoid discrimination

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

There are a lot of negative stereotypes towards people on the Autism spectrum. A lot of people are ignorant enough about Aspergers and Autism that it'd probably be beneficial to just not use the terms anymore and not let anyone know that we're on the spectrum. Why don't we just classify ourselves as Asocials or Introverts? Then people wouldn't know if we were Aspies, Autistics, Schizoids, Schizotypals, or Avoidants, and they would only be able to guess at it. And they probably wouldn't guess that we're on the spectrum because their ideas about what Aspergers and Autism are don't describe us very well. People would still think that we're Sociopaths and Misanthropes, but a lot of the other negative stereotypes wouldn't be applied to us anymore. We'd probably be better off if we just threw out the terms Autism and Aspergers, and gave ourselves a cleaner slate to work with. No one would ever be able to know for sure that we had it unless they saw our diagnosis papers, and even then they might doubt it.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

Mike1 wrote:
There are a lot of negative stereotypes towards people on the Autism spectrum. A lot of people are ignorant enough about Aspergers and Autism that it'd probably be beneficial to just not use the terms anymore and not let anyone know that we're on the spectrum. Why don't we just classify ourselves as Asocials or Introverts? Then people wouldn't know if we were Aspies, Autistics, Schizoids, Schizotypals, or Avoidants, and they would only be able to guess at it. And they probably wouldn't guess that we're on the spectrum because their ideas about what Aspergers and Autism are don't describe us very well. People would still think that we're Sociopaths and Misanthropes, but a lot of the other negative stereotypes wouldn't be applied to us anymore. We'd probably be better off if we just threw out the terms Autism and Aspergers, and gave ourselves a cleaner slate to work with. No one would ever be able to know for sure that we had it unless they saw our diagnosis papers, and even then they might doubt it.

No, I'm not convinced that doing away with the word autism would solve the problem you describe here.

First of all, I believe that any form of discrimination should not be avoided, but rather confronted so that it can be blown out into the open for the unfair treatment that it is.

Secondly, not nearly every person on the autistic spectrum can hide their autism or Asperger's. There are many who stand out because their motoric issues or verbal impairments are so obvious and beyond their control that they will be easily recognisable as autistic, or -to the layman- as 'off'. Besides that, there are many relatively mild autistics who exhibit quirks like lack of eye contact, stims, unconvential body language or lack of body language, verbal tics. Many can't just switch that off.

If those of us who can 'pass' as 'normal' or a semblance thereof, were to choose to identify ourselves as 'asocial' or 'introverted' instead of autistic, we might end up trivializing our own problems, and in turn be held to a standard which, in certain situations, we can't measure up to because we lack the mental hardware to do so.
That is not to say that it is in all cases absolutely negative to say were 'introverted', 'shy', 'unsociable' instead of saying we're autistic in EVERY situation, IF we can 'pass'. In fact, I have myself chosen to call myself 'shy', 'introverted', etc. when I thought it would be irrelevant or even disadvantageous for me to mention I'm autistic. There are many people who, upon learning from me that I am autistic, are surprised, saying that it doesn't show and that they find me a relatively social person. And I consider that a great compliment.

So, in short, no, I don't think it's the way to go to avoid the word autism, although I do find it unnecessary -for myself at least- to mention I'm autistic now that I've made the progress I've made.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

Mike1 wrote:

The cure for ignorance is education. What we need is for more people to stand up and be counted, . . . to show that there is more to Autism than just the problems and quirks.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:21 pm

I think a better approach would be trying to work towards ending the stigma towards all mental illnesses.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Mike1 wrote:

No, I'm not convinced that doing away with the word autism would solve the problem you describe here.

First of all, I believe that any form of discrimination should not be avoided, but rather confronted so that it can be blown out into the open for the unfair treatment that it is.

Secondly, not nearly every person on the autistic spectrum can hide their autism or Asperger's. There are many who stand out because their motoric issues or verbal impairments are so obvious and beyond their control that they will be easily recognisable as autistic, or -to the layman- as 'off'. Besides that, there are many relatively mild autistics who exhibit quirks like lack of eye contact, stims, unconvential body language or lack of body language, verbal tics. Many can't just switch that off.

If those of us who can 'pass' as 'normal' or a semblance thereof, were to choose to identify ourselves as 'asocial' or 'introverted' instead of autistic, we might end up trivializing our own problems, and in turn be held to a standard which, in certain situations, we can't measure up to because we lack the mental hardware to do so.
That is not to say that it is in all cases absolutely negative to say were 'introverted', 'shy', 'unsociable' instead of saying we're autistic in EVERY situation, IF we can 'pass'. In fact, I have myself chosen to call myself 'shy', 'introverted', etc. when I thought it would be irrelevant or even disadvantageous for me to mention I'm autistic. There are many people who, upon learning from me that I am autistic, are surprised, saying that it doesn't show and that they find me a relatively social person. And I consider that a great compliment.

So, in short, no, I don't think it's the way to go to avoid the word autism, although I do find it unnecessary -for myself at least- to mention I'm autistic now that I've made the progress I've made.

I agree. I wish high functioning Aspies would remember that their experiences are not those of everyone on the spectrum. But then, self-centredness is a symptom of AS.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
I agree. I wish high functioning Aspies would remember that their experiences are not those of everyone on the spectrum. But then, self-centredness is a symptom of AS.

Is that so, because one of my problems is focusing too much on other peoples needs and feelings while neglecting my own.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:32 pm

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

What should we call it instead; the "Fluffy Bunny Sugar Sunshine Disorder"?

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
What should we call it instead; the "Fluffy Bunny Sugar Sunshine Disorder"?

:lol:

'Rainbow disorder' would be a step in the right direction for all parties involved. The rainbow represents a spectrum, is also a symbol of positivity, and masks that we're talking about something DIRE.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:06 pm

I`d think emotional autism, and high functioning autism would be the best.

Those facing language issues, and other sensory problems would be HFA, and emotional autism would be for those that have issue with socialization.

We need a rather surgical word, and I think those are it.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:20 pm

So should we call ourselves superhumans?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

I'm not discriminated against (in comparison to peers).

Also, ASDs are clinical entities that cause considerable disability, so using the right clinical label makes others aware of your difficulties.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

Has calling homosexuals "Gays" stopped discrimination against them?

Has calling some people "African-Americans" stopped discrimination against them?

Would the word "Hyperadipose" end discrimination toward obese people?

Does being called "Pre-Adolescent" end discrimination against children?

Autism is autism, no matter what else you call it, and autistics will be discriminated against no matter how you label their condition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

Absolutely not.

I am autistic. If autistic people are mistreated, I will fight for them. I will not leave my brothers and sisters behind by claiming to have no association with them just to escape mistreatment myself.

If you think that disassociating yourself with the oppressed is a solution to oppression, then either you have lost the will to fight, or you are a coward.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

I'd rather use the right term and be hated or discriminated against. It helps weed out the hateful and ignorant people so you know who to avoid.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

I hate it when people tell me that I am so autistic.