Are sensory issues central to how you choose your clothes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are sensory issues central to how you choose your clothes?
Female with Moderate/Severe ASD: Yes 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Female with Moderate/Severe ASD: No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Female with Mild/Suspected ASD: Yes 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Female with Mild/Suspected ASD: No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Male with Moderate/Severe ASD: Yes 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Male with Moderate/Severe ASD: No 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Male with Mild/Suspected ASD: Yes 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Male with Mild/Suspected ASD: No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
non-ASD: Yes 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
non-ASD: No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 49

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

Rudy Simone's Female Asperger Syndrome Traits list includes the trait "Dresses comfortably due to sensory issues and practicality".

Is this the case for most people on the spectrum? How do things differ for females or those at the milder end? I'm limiting the poll question to sensory issues only, but comments on fashion, style, practicality etc. are welcomed too.

I'm personally not aware that I have any significant sensory issues. Occasionally I find a scratchy clothing tag caused by badly stitched nylon and I do cut those out, but I imagine this is typical of most of the population and not at all to the degree that I've heard sometimes described by people with an ASD.

Style-wise, I do err more towards comfort and practicality. I have very little time for fashion and follow only my own personal style. It tends to consist of bright rich colours which I love (and which also help to give some life to my sallow complexion and the dark rings under my eyes). I also tend to wear large baggy shapes that I feel I can hide inside or big scarves and shawls. Other than that it's usually a good pair of boots and some basic jeans.

Because I love plants and nature, I'm a bit of a stickler for natural materials such as linen, cotton and wool. I hate polyester and all that rubbish and will only deviate for the sake of warm squishy sports fleeces and such like, especially since warm wool can be a bit itchy-prickly.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

For me, my clothes have to appeal to me AND be comfortable. Luckily, I have approached it as a challenge and a problem I insist on solving. I have been able to find very good looking clothes which are also comfortable, but it's NOT easy.

G.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

I hate choosing tight fitting clothes. I always just take off all my clothes as soon as I get home, par my boxers. Even wearing a bra is f*cking annoying

I just sit at my laptop, only wearing a pair of boxers in my bedroom, and just shove something on when I go downstairs, and then take it off again when I go back upstairs.

I look like a bag of crap because I can't dress nice, due to being uncomfortable.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Generally I'll only wear clothes that I can physically stand. After that I assemble outfits based on how I like how they look, or I just randomly through something on. I like track pants and t-shirts.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

Absolutely. I have a "uniform" consisting of soft black cotton pants and collared short-sleeved shirts, which I wear every day.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:29 pm

Yes. I don't use a uniform, but sensory concerns are the only thing that I take into account for what I'm wearing other than my boyfriend showing preferences for certain clothing over other clothing.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:33 pm

There wasn't an answer for "sometimes." Sensory issues are not the main reason for my clothing selection, but I would be lying if I said it didn't play a role. For me, when sensory issues are of concern, it works both ways: some clothes I will not purchase due to hypersensitivity (wool clothes without a lining, skinny pants, any "scratchy" fabric) and some particular items of clothing I purchase because of hypersensitivity (though this involves other sensory problems).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

Yes, I just fell in love with my new soft cotton shirt.

I can screen some of the discomfort out if I can still focus on what I'm doing. But small irritations can sometimes feel like mortal injury, other times I can take quite intense pain in my stride. :?

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

I never really thought about it before I found out I'm HFA, but yes. I'm 32 and I dress a bit like a college student. I mostly wear comfortable jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts, and comfortable shoes with cotton socks. When I'm at home I wear yoga pants. I'd like to be able to dress more stylishly. I like fashion and I have the money to dress well but I can't stand the feeling of a shirt that pulls around the shoulders, shoes that make my feet sweat and ache, or pants that pinch at the waist.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

I don't have many sensory issues. I wear what I like and I don't keep in fashion. I don't wear clothes that would feel uncomfortable on me. I can wear wool but I always have to wear something under it so it won't be uncomfortable on me. Sometimes my clothes do get uncomfortable on me so I like to take them off but that won't be an option anymore. With a kid now and then pretty soon my parents living with us, I would have to wear clothes now unless I am alone. I remember taking my clothes off as a kid too when I be by myself. But around people and out in public, I just deal with it. Even when I get hot and start to sweat, I want to strip them off. I can't do that at work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

NatureLover
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2012, 2:02 pm

It's mildly due to sensory issues. I don't like my clothes to expose some skin like some high fashions today with their summer dresses, skirts, sleeveless shirts, and such. I only wear jeans when I need to go somewhere. But I pretty much wear pajamas all days and nights at home because I feel more comfortable and "free" in them, I do spend money on pajamas.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

I can't wear certain fabrics, like polyester because they are just too irritating. That being said, I dress to be comfortable and plain at the same time. I basically have a "uniform" of sorts consisting of 100% cotton jean shorts or jeans and a plain tee shirt in white, blue, green or gray. I don't like anything with a collar on it and hate any shirt with buttons on it. I also have worn the same type of plain white Nike sneakers for about 10 years now.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

I'll get anything that matches and doesn't feel tight. Tags feel like velcro to me, so all my clothes either have to be tagless, or I'm able to rip them out without damaging the article of clothing. I won't cut it out, because I'd still be able to feel the part that was left behind.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

When choosing clothes, here's what I look for:

1) Appearance, style, color. I'm first drawn to color, color is my thing. Style, not to conform to fashion but to conform to my taste and how I want to express myself. Color, lines, style, whether it says "me." Even stretch pants and t-shirts to wear around home need to be in colors I can live with. Also is it a style meant to be worn too snugly, or is it too revealing? I don't want either. I don't like clashy or too bright of colors - though I do wear them now and then, in the proper "flowery" mood. I mostly like muted herbals and earth tones. (There are some sensory issues right there.)

2) Fabric - fiber content. It has to be a type of fiber that I'm comfortable wearing, usually natural fibers that are cool, unless it's outerwear for winter. Also ease of care. I don't use dry cleaners if I can help it, and I avoid doing much ironing or hand washing. (Drip dry is okay.) NO POLYESTER near my skin - it makes me sweat and feel sticky. Sometimes a cotton blend is okay. (Definite sensory issues.)

3) Fit. Does it come in my size, or rather in a slightly looser size large enough for me to be comfortable in? (Again, sensory issues.)

Shoes again have to be comfortable, toes not too narrow, instep high enough to accommodate my high arches. Narrow enough at the heel so they don't slide around. No or very low heels. Even a purse needs to be a certain type, no clutches. I like a shoulder strap that's adjustable and not too narrow. Color, texture - very important.

I'm mildly AS, un/self-diagnosed.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

Yes. I only wear cotton knits and Crocs shoes.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

I can't wear anything tight, and I can't wear velour or silk, and some types of wool. I can't touch anything, especially fabric unless I have moisturised my hands, which makes using a towel when I've had a shower very difficult. I'm not the type of person who is obsessed with looking good, I have to go for what I feel comfortable in, rather than what I like the look of, usually I only wear blue or black, I feel comfortable with those colours, I know where I am with plain old black and blue.