Questions if PDD-NOS can still be diagnosed in DSM-5

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 11:26 am

Can PDD-NOS (a form form of Autism) be diagnosed in DSM-5?

I realized that PDD-NOS can be grouped as Unspecified Neurodevelopmental disorder.

DSM-5 has category called 'Unspecified Neurodevelopmental disorder'

psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM-5-Contents.pdf

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 11:53 am

FranzOren wrote:
Can PDD-NOS (a form form of Autism) be diagnosed in DSM-5?

I realized that PDD-NOS can be grouped as Unspecified Neurodevelopmental disorder.

DSM-5 has category called 'Unspecified Neurodevelopmental disorder'

psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM-5-Contents.pdf
I think it would be ASD level 1.I was DX'ed PDD-NOS in 1989 then Aspergers in 1994 then ASD level 1 in 2014

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 12:02 pm

Thank you

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:17 pm

PDD-NOS is technically my diagnosis. I was three years old and it was 1997. I've never been officially re-diagnosed with ASD under the newest DSM because it has been ages since I was last evaluated but the medical professionals I see know I'm on the spectrum. I haven't really ever seen any point in another evaluation unless someday I need official documentation and/or more current paperwork. I've never heard of "Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder" until just now but I have a copy of the DSM-5 and now it's something I definitely want to read more about.

My Tumblr

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 2:35 am

No, To quote the DSM-V,
[quote="Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Individuals who have marked deficits in social communication, but whose symptoms do not othenwise meet criteria for autism spectrum disorder, should be evaluated for social (pragmatic) communication disorder." The VAST majority of people who would be diagnosed with PDD-nos would fall under one of those two.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:20 pm

Thank you