how much chance is to to have an asperger child

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cursedforever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2012, 7:33 pm

well i know my both parents had not asperger . and my sister has not.

if one parent is a asperger (male) well how much chance is there.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

50% if one parent has an ASD (no matter the severity; subclinical can produce severe autism, for example, and the other way around, of course).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:41 pm

This is not known...........ASD is polygenetic (many genes contribute all contribute a little bit) not all the genes involved are known (not by a long shot) and there are probably unknown environmental factors interacting with genes as well. Also there may be many different kinds of ASD caused by different gene and gene-environment combos. ASD is not a simple Mendelian trait where there is a 1 in four chance of inheriting the recessive gene.

All that is known is that AS has a strong genetic component and that if you have AS there is a higher chance your kid(s) might have it as well......but an exact percent chance can't be determined.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

I read a little while back that they found it to be 50% with one parent and 100% with two. There were some outliers, but they found out that the females of the two "normal" parents had BAP.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:52 pm

Dillogic wrote:
50% if one parent has an ASD (no matter the severity; subclinical can produce severe autism, for example, and the other way around, of course).

There is another thread about this and here is a response from Orwell:

Danielismyname wrote:
If one parent has an ASD, it's a 50% chance that their child will have one (there's no way to determine what type of ASD).

If the two parents have an ASD, it's a 100% chance.

Um... nope. The more recent research suggests that autism isn't even a discrete condition like Down's or hemophilia, so it's not going to have such simple inheritance patterns. There's no clear division between people on the autistic spectrum and "normal" people. There's an arbitrary cut-off where if you express enough autistic traits in sufficient intensity you are labeled autistic.
WP

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:58 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I read a little while back that they found it to be 50% with one parent and 100% with two. There were some outliers, but they found out that the females of the two "normal" parents had BAP.

Do you have a source for this? The thing is the heritability estimate for ASD is 80% , not 100%. The heritability estimate is based on things like twin and adoption studies (behavioral genetics) not molecular....the exact %of heritability is not known.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
This is not known...........ASD is polygenetic (many genes contribute all contribute a little bit) not all the genes involved are known (not by a long shot) and there are probably unknown environmental factors interacting with genes as well. Also there may be many different kinds of ASD caused by different gene and gene-environment combos. ASD is not a simple Mendelian trait where there is a 1 in four chance of inheriting the recessive gene.

All that is known is that AS has a strong genetic component and that if you have AS there is a higher chance your kid(s) might have it as well......but an exact percent chance can't be determined.

This.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

There is evidence to suggest that the nutritional status of the mother is a factor in how the gene(s) manifest in the child. Were I of child-bearing age, I'd make certain to get plenty of Vitamin D and Folic Acid in addition to good basic nutrition -- all of which is a good idea no matter the genetic background.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Modron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2012, 1:37 am

18.7%
Or not.

The reality is that there are so many factors that is is difficult to pinpoint a percentage.

However, there are studies on the topic and the latest one I know of came up with 18.7% if one sibling has ASD, which is quite high. Based on 664 sample. Didn't find one on parents.
Link below, and I think it includes references.
(am not allowed yet to post links, so remove the underscores in the link): healthland.time.co_m/2011/08/15/autism-affects-far-more-siblings-than-suspected

cursedforever

03 Aug 2012, 6:44 am

well i think that there is 100% if ur male and u bring a male child in the world. then its 100%. if female 50%

i mean the child is getting ur genetics. but i dont know. well i went to biology B it says if a parent has asperger it says it will be a 100% or 50% inheritance if opposiote sex. well u can think u can get ur grandfathers genetics but that is vey rare.

well in biology b when we talked about genetics. but nature is never certain.

well my source is uncertain i dont remember quite.

is it true 4 out of 1000 get asperger. that is alot LOl. how many procentage is that.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2012, 8:04 am

I have As and my husband is suspected to also have AS. We have three kids. Only one of them shows any typical AS traits, and I refuse to believe my children will definitely have AS. In fact my eldest is about as opposite as you could get, outgoing, extroverted, communicates easily, fits in with her peers etc. I definitely don't think it's purely down to genes regardless of whatever studies.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:40 am

I have AS and ADHD and my husband has ADHD. We have 3 kids. All have ADHD, only one has AS.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

cursedforever wrote:
well i think that there is 100% if ur male and u bring a male child in the world. then its 100%. if female 50%

i mean the child is getting ur genetics. but i dont know. well i went to biology B it says if a parent has asperger it says it will be a 100% or 50% inheritance if opposiote sex. well u can think u can get ur grandfathers genetics but that is vey rare.

well in biology b when we talked about genetics. but nature is never certain.

well my source is uncertain i dont remember quite.

is it true 4 out of 1000 get asperger. that is alot LOl. how many procentage is that.

AS doesn't follow a simple genetic pattern since there are multiple genes that contribute. It's not cut and dry like being able to roll your toungue or not. Its way more complicated than that. If it did follow a pattern like that scientists wouldn't be wondering why people have AS, how they get it, and why the prevalence of AS is increasing. If it followed simple genetic rules, the answers to those questions would be obvious.

I think the best that anyone can say is that if you have AS your chances of having a child with AS are higher. If both parents have it, chances are higher still, but not 100%.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:57 am

My mum is friends with a woman who has an Aspie husband, and they had 5 kids (who are both of their true kids) and they are all NT, not an Aspie trait among any of them. They are all grown-up now and all seem OK.

Also my mum knows another woman who has a lot of Autistic people in her family but she had 4 kids who are all NTs aswell.

But that still doesn't encourage me - I bet you anything you like that I would have a child who is either as mild as me but will always be depressed, unconfident and miserable all his/her life because of the disability (like I am), or really severely Autistic what I won't be able to handle. In fact I don't want a child anywhere on the spectrum, I just want a normal child.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

how much chance is to to have an asperger child

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Wj8hPAT2Q[/youtube]

TheSunAlsoRises

cursedforever

03 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
My mum is friends with a woman who has an Aspie husband, and they had 5 kids (who are both of their true kids) and they are all NT, not an Aspie trait among any of them. They are all grown-up now and all seem OK.

Also my mum knows another woman who has a lot of Autistic people in her family but she had 4 kids who are all NTs aswell.

But that still doesn't encourage me - I bet you anything you like that I would have a child who is either as mild as me but will always be depressed, unconfident and miserable all his/her life because of the disability (like I am), or really severely Autistic what I won't be able to handle. In fact I don't want a child anywhere on the spectrum, I just want a normal child.

yeah im not going to have a child and i dont got a wife loool. anyways why do asperger all the time say that they are happy. i dont get it. are they the same asperger as my self. i mean we all got the same traits... im SUFFERING AS HELL. i never been so emotinally depressed.

and the thought of the child having this curse as my self kills me. tell me a asperger that is happy. well i watched a asperger video wheree a guy says pretending to be normal and explains how we never understand relationships and we are suffering cuz we aint understanding the joy at all..

well if i dont get a biological child then it wont be special. but if i do get one biological child from my genetics i have placed a curse on him/her. well in my mind its 100% that the child will have it. and i cant bring my self even if some people say its 5% or 10% well i think its 100% and im willing to drop to 10% but 10% that is hell a lot. im not going to take that chance.

well its horrible im suffering. knowing i wont able to enjoy relationships .or even enjoy happines in my life.

for you live in great britian. well i heard there is bio energy healer called micheal cohen there. he names asperger as cure-able trait in there and says he can help food allergies and other mental illnesses,.. bioenergytreatment.co.uk u can google it. i think he is good and knowledgeable im going there my self. when im get the money but im only 21 year., (i made a thread that bio energy healing can help asperger with info). anyways--

being born with anxiety and depression and eating disorder and sleeping disorder. and thats because of this ASPERGER CURSE.

yeah if u got asperger u get these bonus mental and REAL illnesses.

dam i wont ever get a wife and i wont ever get happy. damned it well end of story im not going to have a child i dont wanna give him this PLAUGED CURSE.