Any "adult" (over 18) still live with parents???

Page 1 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 3:44 pm

Okay last year I lived in the dorms at school for my freshman year and I pretty much totally hated it I couldnt get used to anything about it and while hopefully (and if I do get dxed diffently) I can get a single next year or even later this year I am still beginning to wonder if I tried to move out too early. Is it too weird to live with your parents when your going to college, and will it stiffle my move towards independance to much if I decide I cant handle it and go back next year??
Bryan

PS It would have to be next year because I would have to transfer to a school thats in the suburb of the city (well I suppose I could drop and take community college classes next term but I dont really want to do that.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 4:29 pm

If, other than your living situation, you like the school then that might be sort of a drastic move; try getting the single first if you feel like you really need it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 5:12 pm

I can tell you that I'm 25, almost 26, and yeah - I'm still living at home. My parents at least are the types of people who let me be very independent, are very easy-going, and since the only 2 things they're taking care of are rent and car insurance (I'm paying my own bills, doing my own laundry, mostly buying my own food and paying all my college tuition) I really don't feel like too bad of a leech. At the same time though I am a senior, am going to a 4 year college which happens to be much more of a commuter school, and to be honest I love the lack of dorm life. It isn't my thing, never would have been, and to tell the truth I couldn't handle paying something like $3500 a year extra for room and board somewhere when I'm going to be living with somone I don't know who may be real disrespectul of my private space. My home is my safezone, it's where I decompress, its where I can actually have a chance to chill out after a long day of work or school, and I don't want any hostility or testing there. Having a friend live at my house back when I was 20 was actually an incredibly cool thing but then again that's having a friend move in who I know I can trust and who I can work out the fine details with pretty well - rolling a dice on that IMO is just plain stupid (then again in college all too often, unfortunatly, its essential).

I think it all really depends on the person anymore. Even though I tend to feel more than a little wierd still living with my parents, almost any NT my age who I mention that to reassures me the other way and tells me I'm incredibly smart for staying home and that they probably still would be as well if they could have.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 6:24 pm

I lived at home till I was 26 1/2 yrs of age, unfortunately my parents were the type that were kinda overprotective/overbearing and often when I did get my independance, they were reluctant to let me deal with it.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 7:10 pm

If you need to move in with your parents, move in with your parents. Don't let conformity to a social situation interfere with your education.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 7:45 pm

Living with your parents has advantages . . . no rent, free food. I lived at home for my first 2 years of college. Went to community college. I moved out at 21.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 7:52 pm

I'm living with my parents, but at 19, that's not such a big deal. I spent last year living away from home at college, though, and I'm planning to transfer to another college this spring. Personally, I loved the experience of living independently, and after my roommate moved out and I had the place to myself, it was even better. Hopefully soon after I've got my degree, I'll be able to become completely independent. Having a place to stay is nice, but I'll always prefer being on my own.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 8:05 pm

My daughter moved out last year because she had to finish her last year of college in Los Angeles. She's back home now, and she's paying off her student loans. I lived at home untill I was 23 because of college.My son is in Air Force reserves boot camp so he'll be back home and probably stay with us untill he finishes college. Basically as long my children are in school or paying off student loans they may stay with us rent free. But they live here, they need to help out, and if they do something that we aren't comfortable with and don't stop, then they move out..simple. But they are are very easy to live with and we enjoy each others company, so it's all good.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 8:07 pm

I'm living in a dorm right now, and have been for the past three years. And while I have had a few unpleasant experiences (most notably during the first half of my junior year when I had an overbearing control/neat freak roommate who also had panic attacks), overall I couldn't be happier. It has really alllowed me to be independent and find myself. And unlike with some of you guys, my mom isn't totally tolerant and understanding of my Aspie eccentricities, and also seems hesitant to let me be independent.

Of course, I don't know what I'm going to do when I graduate.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 11:31 pm

I live in the dorms; but, when I come back home on breaks, I go to the house I've always lived at. I relish the opportunity to have total independence, though.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 12:18 am

I'm 20 and I left home this year. I now live by myself.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 1:32 am

I lived with my parents until I was 25 1/2. I didn't have any real income, and I depended on my parents nearly completely. In this respect my college years did not differ much from the high school period. Sort of being a kid for a couple years longer. (In many parts of the world it is perfectly normal.) Then at 25 I moved out and became totally independent, without any trouble. The joy of independence prevailed over horrors of doing many things for the first time.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 1:58 am

I left home at 21...

GA

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:04 am

left home at 18 (college), moved back at 23 (for various reasons), then left again (for good) at 28.

if it suits you, do it. if other people think it's weird, let them (if you're comfortable with that).

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2005, 2:08 am

vetivert wrote:
left home at 18 (college), moved back at 23 (for various reasons), then left again (for good) at 28.

if it suits you, do it. if other people think it's weird, let them (if you're comfortable with that).

Well, ah, what could you do about that?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:12 am

I'll be honest, I know it wouldn't be that big a deal at all to have my own place, to be honest I'd kinda prefer it since a). I'd have my privacy and b). I wouldn't have that much more in the way of self-sufficiency details to work on (at worst I'm just kinda lazy at times and get fast food a lot).

What I am kind of concerned about is that I've wanted to in the past, my parents have talked me out of it, and now it's like I'm almost worried that I'm gonna have to do a hell of a lot even when I'm making 40 or 50k starting somewhere to talk em over it and get it not to be a struggle. The wierd thing is we've just never had conflicts, almost abnormal for most families (if I'd had an NT brother or sister it might have been different but I'm an only son), and for all they've done for me I'd feel real worried as if I were neglecting em. Sad thing is it's like the whole basis of our relationship is that we live together and if I moved out I'd hardly have a thing to even talk to em about anymore... it's wierd stuff and one of those things I've preferred not to think about too much but I have to realize one of these days, probably in the next year and a half, that I'm gonna need to get out on my own. I don't know if they're joking on this or not and I almost wonder if they don't pass off a lot of stuff they don't think I'd agree with as such but it's like they're already talking to me as if they want me to stay here and take the house over for em.

In the midst of all this I'm wondering just how I'm supposed to handle this. It's like I already do have like 80% independence and I've had 80% since I was like 18 or 19. It would really suck if trying to pull that extra 20% dug into em too much.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin