I've cracked the body language code, folks!

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm

At least...I've cracked it for folks like us.

Now, this is something I've dubbed to be used as part of the process of "supercharging your Autism" as I like to call...in other words using it to your full potential, and to work for you, rather than "hindering" you. Also worth noting: I wouldn't recommend doing this to "look cool" to other people; do it solely for your own benefit.

I admit this may not necessarily work as well for low-functioning Autistic folks, but for those of you who are high-functioning, this may prove very beneficial, so I suggest you gather round and take note.

We may not be wired to pick up on various "signals" the way NTs do...but there's something our brains do--and they do it really well--that we can use in a similar way: our brains can pick up on patterns. And as hard as it may be to believe, the whole body language thing--at least from my own experiences dealing with NTs--is nothing really that complex.

I'd also like to add that I didn't crack this code intentionally; in other words, this wasn't something I was actively pursuing doing. This just came from making various mental connections( in that way that we do so well, might I add), and picking up on different patterns here and there, analyzing behavior, and reading up on a lot of human history, and decisions that humans have made since Day 1. Yes folks, I didn't actually stop pursuing the things I love to come to this understanding. I came to it simply by living my life, and working to be the best me I can be. Hopefully you'll pick up on the lesson in that; if not, it's part of the first few tips I've outlined below.

First of all, you have to accept a few things that may be very hard pills to swallow:

1. Despite what you've been told about the majority of people being wonderful, and only a few bad apples really ruining all that...it's a load. Flip it around, and there's the truth.

I came to realize this from several things: my own personal observations, reading over the 48 laws of power, and analyzing human behavior throughout history.

You may be wondering why I even would mention that; simply because I've noticed a very similar behavioral pattern from most people in general, when they don't like me...even if they're trying to hide it. Which brings me to....

2. No matter how hard you try to make them like you, and do everything to impress them, they don't like you.

I told myself a few years back "pretty much everyone hates me...and they will no matter what I do, no matter what"; and no, I didn't tell myself this to put myself down. I told myself this to assure myself there was really no point in trying to impress shallow, superficial people by attempting to half-ass social skills.

And let's face the simple fact that you can put off your favorite special interests to focus on learning social skills...and it's just not something that naturally comes to us; our brains are hard-wired for more important things than pretending that we honestly care, and desperately needing subliminal body cues from people we can't even pick up. Basically, at best we'll look really half-assed at it. So, really the choice is we can either excel at what naturally comes to us, or do a terrible job faking what our brains aren't really programmed for.

I mentioned before about getting a similar vibe from most people in general when I interact with them, and that vibe is all I need to know that they don't like me. It's a simple pattern you pick up after enough time.

Those who do like you will have display a different pattern when you interact with them.

Now, a big pattern I notice from everybody at one point or another is a simple phrase: "oh yeah?" That basically means "they don't care". Whenever I don't care, I never say that cause they subliminally fixated themselves on that term, so I like to use different terminology so they don't pick up that I don't. It's more fun to throw them off after years of them doing so to me :wink:

Yes, I have a lot more to offer up than this, but I thought I'd start out with this; if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll post more in a bit :)

Last edited by TheDoctor82 on 14 Jun 2012, 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

So when they say "Blah blah blah MALL blahblahblah KARDASHIANS blahblahblah LAKERS" the 'correct' response is "I'm trying to find the bridge". I like it. Basically slipping in a line of bad code, mwhahaha

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:07 am

Or....just let 'em flap their gums.

Right there, you're talking about what I like to refer to as "Fly-By-Nighters".

Fly-By-Nighters basically means they're just shallow, and follow the latest thing, then forget it five minutes later.

If you are in fact trying to find the bridge, you can ask them and they may likely give you the right response, if they honestly know it themselves. :wink:

Usually when folks in the Break Room at work start doing this, I just tune 'em out, eat, speak only when spoken to, and focus on other priorities I have.

Now, if they address you, and they ask you something stupid about something popular.....you can attempt to elaborate with a well thought-out response, but nothing good will come of it, cause they won't be able to understand it. On the flip side, if you quickly say something stupid, you'll regret that too. Unless you truly do have an opinion on it, just be honest and say ya don't follow it.

And yes they may try to pressure you and intimidate you; and....how is that any different from their normal patterns, when you really get down to it? :wink:

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:23 am

This is precisely what I have picked up on. They all have similar patterns. It's much better when someone breaks that mold; you can genuinely see they care if they aren't repeating the same phrase to get you to shut up already. I have noticed that a lot: "Oh, really? I'm sorry to hear that... Now, onto me and my problems." That's exactly how it goes for me. I've learned these people aren't even worth speaking to about personal crap. Keep it all on the surface and shallow.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:35 am

Yes, I prefer people who break the mold too, even if it's not always intentional :wink:

And in fact, several years ago, a friend of mine( who's now let's just say taken a heavily reduced role in my life) said to me "these people are missing out; if they'd only give you a chance, they'd see how awesome you really are"

Two things about that:

1. No they wouldn't; their brains can't comprehend it.

2. They don't want to get to know me; I already mentioned how they're intimidated by us. They can see that we're a little different, and one thing I think they do realize is that if they get to know us, we're gonna get to know them. And I'll tell you right now....they know damn well we won't like what we find out.

I actually told both my friend and a member I met via this community about that on Facebook; not surprisingly, the community member responded, but my friend didn't.

See, getting back to the thing about most people in this world not generally being all that great: well, they aren't, but they basically put on a dog-and-pony show for each other. Basically, the game is "how well can we pull off being phony without getting caught in the act?"; it's an incredibly sad game if I do say so myself.

So they make up these "rules" for society to follow that they see us following, and trash us for it....because deep down they really don't believe in what they're preaching. Many of these rules are very good( though some here and there can be insanely questionable), and the thing is we have the ability to live up to them to a T...and that freaks the crap out of them.

It's something they know they can never live up to, and being emotion-based, and generally having poor esteem and being insecure, we get trashed for it. You'll also notice that many folks will have the sad nerve to then encourage those further who initiate such behavior; in fact, most folks will.

It's the reason most of us have been treated like crap our whole lives. It's not that we're actually doing anything wrong: we're doing it better than they ever could; we're living up to what they preach, and on levels they could never practice if their lives depended on it.

And when you come to see this deep down about most people, trust me...you're not gonna like them. People you may've looked upon with much praise....you'll soon find never really deserved it; they just put on the act to convince you they did, and many others worked to help preserve that phony baloney act.

You may soon discover that most folks really don't know much anything about anything, or can't really do much of anything particularly well--take note, I said most, I didn't say all.

But, you have the ability to know and do and excel to unprecedented levels. Nonetheless, they will try to beat you down for it, cause at the root of it, they don't have it, and they'll do everything to make it look like you don't either.

In fact, two common phrases I often hear in relation to that are:

1. "Well it's something you're just gonna have to learn to get used to/put up with."

2. "If you just give these people a chance, you might realize that they're actually better than you give them credit for"( interesting note on this one: chances are you've given those folks multiple chances, and you've never been given one at all...and for many reasons I already mentioned)

I nearly forgot a very important point: another big popular idea that they like to pass around is "look for the good in people".

That's basically their way of saying "the majority of people suck, but let's stick our heads in the sand, and pretend they don't".

Here's my saying, instead: "don't look for the good in people, or you're gonna see good that may not be there; let them show it to you, first".

Last edited by TheDoctor82 on 14 Jun 2012, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

You really have some excellent points there. I have never really thought about it quite like that- I always felt like it was something I was doing wrong on my part.

No, they probably won't like us finding out about who they really are. I don't see the majority of us as shallow as a lot of the NT's I've come into contact with. And that's it in a nutshell: majority is fake.

They're always gonna take it out on people who are different, are they not? Easier targets.

You've really nailed it, I think. I'm glad you posted this.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:52 am

Of course they'll always take it out on easier targets.

Remember how I mentioned studying history of human behavior?

One big thing I've picked up on throughout history was: scapegoating, and unaccountability

Two major traits I've picked on regarding human behavior and interaction throughout history.

Oh, and y'need more proof that these people are insanely phony baloney: most of the folks I see on Facebook who were attempting to "raise Autism Awareness" during that Flavor of the Month period were....those who trashed me for being it( despite their lack of knowing it) when I was growing up.

And yes, I'm positive it's because they've matured, and have a far better understanding now. :lol:

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:56 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
At least...I've cracked it for folks like us.
Despite what you've been told about the majority of people being wonderful, and only a few bad apples really ruining all that...it's a load. Flip it around, and there's the truth.

Actually, it may be true that there are "only a few bad apples" from the perspective of an NT. I think we see the bad in a lot of people that would not be perceived as such by their fellow NTs. There have been numerous occasions in my life where one individual decides they're justified in treating me like crap because they think I'm weird. The other NTs, though not as hostile toward me, seem to brush off my plight by saying, "oh well, I don't have any problems with that person, so it must be you and not him/her." And in a way, they're right. I am the one being hated and targeted by said individual because of who I am, but not because I provoked anything or deserved to be.

That being said, I'm not really interested in whether or not people like me. But I've always believed that disliking someone is no excuse to treat them like garbage, and I never understood why people weren't more tolerant. There are people I don't care for, but I try my best to be respectful and tolerant of them regardless. And this is what I find most disturbing about the NTs. I feel like saying, "If you don't like me, fine. But that's no excuse for your behavior, not just towards me, but towards anyone you decide you don't like."

Last edited by again_with_this on 14 Jun 2012, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:00 am

That being said, I often will use 'stock phrases' like "oh really?" or "interesting" when someone is telling me about themselves. Oftentimes, I do find what they're saying to be interesting, but I'm still taking in what they've said, or I'm not sure of what else to say, yet.

Anyway, I'm new to all this, and don't even know what it is I am. But much of what I've read on this forum seems to be my life's story.

Incidentally, is there a list somewhere of all of the threads to which I've posted so I can go back and see the threads at a later date without having remember their titles?

Last edited by again_with_this on 14 Jun 2012, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:02 am

See, I don't at all believe they don't realize the person is problematic; if their body language skills are that good, they're just lying to themselves about what's right in front of their faces.

I believe more that it's something they willingly approve of...knowing damn well that deep down, they're not much better in various other areas.

Basically, they let that lousiness slide so that their own lousiness can be excused.

And I assure you: I've seen this scenario happen in action, and in the end I got outed by everybody in the vicinity for it.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

again_with_this wrote:
That being said, I often will use 'stock phrases' like "oh really?" or "interesting" when someone is telling me about themselves. Oftentimes, I do find what they're saying to be interesting, but I'm still taking in what they've said, or I'm not sure of what else to say, yet.

Anyway, I'm new to all this, and don't even know what it is I am. But much of what I've read on this forum seems to be my life's story.

Incidentally, is there a list somewhere of all of the threads to which I've posted so I can go back and see the threads at a later date without having remember their titles?

Like I said, I have a few stock phrases myself, but I don't reveal them; I like to keep people scratching their heads on that one :wink:

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:11 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
again_with_this wrote:

Like I said, I have a few stock phrases myself, but I don't reveal them; I like to keep people scratching their heads on that one :wink:

But you didn't answer my last question there, and you're a Phoenix after all. I know it's off topic, but is there a list somewhere in my account of the threads I posted to? I can't find one.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:13 am

My apologies; I believe you can do that in the Google Custom Search.

I confess I don't use it as much these days, so it's not something I'm as familiar with anymore.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:19 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
See, I don't at all believe they don't realize the person is problematic; if their body language skills are that good, they're just lying to themselves about what's right in front of their faces.

I believe more that it's something they willingly approve of...knowing damn well that deep down, they're not much better in various other areas.

Basically, they let that lousiness slide so that their own lousiness can be excused.

And I assure you: I've seen this scenario happen in action, and in the end I got outed by everybody in the vicinity for it.

Ah, so you're saying in these scenarios, the onlooking "docile" NTs are excusing the hostile NT's behavior because even if the docile NTs can tolerate me, they can just as easily see themselves becoming that hostile with an aspie they don't like. And to them it's perfectly justifiable. Interesting.

That said, I always interpreted it more as the docile NTs not wanting to ruin the good social rapport that they all have with the hostile NT by calling out the hostile NT on his bad behavior towards me. In other words, they don't want to rock the social boat for the sake of one "weirdo." Even if they themselves don't mind me being in the boat, it's understood that I'm a background figure, whereas the hostile NT is part of the network to which they are all connected.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:22 am

again_with_this wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

Ah, so you're saying in these scenarios, the onlooking "docile" NTs are excusing the hostile NT's behavior because even if the docile NTs can tolerate me, they can just as easily see themselves becoming that hostile with an aspie they don't like. And to them it's perfectly justifiable. Interesting.

That said, I always interpreted it more as the docile NTs not wanting to ruin the good social rapport that they all have with the hostile NT by calling out the hostile NT on his bad behavior towards me. In other words, they don't want to rock the social boat for the sake of one "weirdo." Even if they themselves don't mind me being in the boat, it's understood that I'm a background figure, whereas the hostile NT is part of the network to which they are all connected.

in a way, you basically just said what I was saying: they know the "other" person is hostile, but if they rock the boat, they know that their own hostility will show. Basically, the act will fall apart, and you'll see them for who they really are. Better to just out you, and make you look like the wrongdoer than aim for the standard they always preach which you actually are capable of upholding.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:34 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
again_with_this wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
in a way, you basically just said what I was saying: they know the "other" person is hostile, but if they rock the boat, they know that their own hostility will show. Basically, the act will fall apart, and you'll see them for who they really are. Better to just out you, and make you look like the wrongdoer than aim for the standard they always preach which you actually are capable of upholding.

Not that their own hostility will show, no. Even if they themselves feel no hostility toward the aspie, their good rapport with their fellow NT is more important to them despite the hostile NT's treatment of the aspie.

It's like the group thought is, "Gee, we don't actually have anything against the aspie, and we can clearly see that the hostile NT does. Although we may not agree with the hostile NT's actions toward the aspie and we can clearly see it's unjust, we otherwise get along quite well with that hostile NT. So why express our opinion that the hostile NT is being hostile in the first place? Even if we don't agree with it, the aspie isn't worth wrecking the good rapport we all have with the hostile NT."

For clarification, the hostile NT is only hostile with the aspie because he's an aspie. He gets along just fine with all the other NTs and they get along with him. Although the other NTs themselves don't feel any hostility toward the aspie and can see the injustice, their is no "social currency" to be made from sticking up for the aspie in calling out the hostile NT.