Do you get your sensory wires crossed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Aug 2012, 2:12 am

Does any of ya'll do this? activating one sense, actually causes sensations in another part of the body?

example, when I clean out my ears, I get this strong gagging feeling in my throat and if I keep cleaning my ears and ignore it, I will literally throw up.

Is this an autie/aspie thing? Do you think this could be a form of synthasia?

Jojo

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2012, 2:29 am

Sensory mix ups are part of it.
Mine are on the subtle side or one compensates where the other lacks. Hearing specific words or specific sounds can cause physical pain. I can also "smell" temperature and well as know what is in food by smelling it. Debatable yes, but I am pretty hypo-sensitive to temperature and taste unless they get really extreme (for example, I am very "salt-happy"). Smell and touch (in terms of food texture I should say) have had to compensate for them.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2012, 2:50 am

it could be a type of synesthesia if its involuntary,and consistent. Do other senses mix for you?

I can hear movement, see sound, taste color,graphemes have a personality/color/texture/gender,objects have personality,pain has color and smell has color for me.

synesthesia is rumored to be more common among people with ASD but I don't think its a proven fact yet.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 11:29 am

I too have that problem when cleaning my ears. I'll sometimes start gagging.
Sometimes when I scratch at something on some part of my body, I'll feel it somewhere else too.. It's as if someone's poking me with a needle.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

Yes I get the "Feeling the scratching elsewhere" thing a lot.

More interestingly I smell things that aren't there and sometimes I feel sounds or something. It's hard to explain. I felt like I fell through the floor the other day when queen came on the radio. It's doesn't happen everytime, but enough for it to be a weird "Thing".

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:10 pm

Cleaning my ears makes me gag too.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Cleaning my ears doesn't make me gag, but very hot water does (which is annoying because I love super hot water lol)

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

jojobean wrote:
example, when I clean out my ears, I get this strong gagging feeling in my throat and if I keep cleaning my ears and ignore it, I will literally throw up.

That's not an aspie thing, everyone feels something in the throat while cleaning their ears, they are connected somehow.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 8:56 pm

Doubutsu wrote:
That's not an aspie thing, everyone feels something in the throat while cleaning their ears, they are connected somehow.

I don't feel that. I don't know if I'm doing it the same as everyone else though. I use a q-tip.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 5:22 am

Doubutsu is right. It's a very common occurrence among all people. So much so that for panoramic dental photos, the technician tells ALL patients not to breathe or they'll gag (when photographing the back part of the mouth that's near the ears).

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2012, 9:03 am

Yeah... I also have synesthesia so when I see certain colors I can taste them ......some times shapes too and

Personification of objects and things like numbers letters and days are also synesthesia

And it is a autism thing

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:26 am

When I wear sunglasses my hearing decreases. It's much harder to focus on what people are saying so I lift up my sunglasses to listen. 8O

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

Taste colours? How does that even work? 8O

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

11 Aug 2012, 9:54 am

MONKEY wrote:
When I wear sunglasses my hearing decreases. It's much harder to focus on what people are saying so I lift up my sunglasses to listen. 8O

Do you think you might have a hearing loss and you compensate unknowingly by lipreading. I am legally deaf and I cant hear in the dark.
I have no idea how much I depend on lipreading until I try talking to someone in the dark and it all sounds like people talking with alot of food in their mouth.

I also can scratch in one place and feel a needle poking sensation somewhere else on my body which is weirdest feeling.

and yes, everytime I clean my ears with a q-tip, I gag. Interesting that it is so common...I thought I was just a lone weirdo
I gag really easy too. It is quite an ordeal for me to brush my tongue...I have even thrown up trying to do that.

Some paintings make me hear classical music...it mostly happens with bright abstract works.

I have a friend that can taste color. So what does blue taste like?

Jojo

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2012, 9:54 am

Doubutsu wrote:
jojobean wrote:

It's to do with the ears, nose and throat being connected. The eustachian tube opens at the back of the nose just above the soft palette

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:57 am

Rattus wrote:
Doubutsu wrote:
jojobean wrote:

It's to do with the ears, nose and throat being connected. The eustachian tube opens at the back of the nose just above the soft palette

cool! So people who gag v's people who dont...I wonder if the gaggers have an enhanced gag reflex or a more open eustachian tube? Probably a more enhanced gag reflex cuz mine is really enhanced.