Is there any kind of medication for noise sensitivity?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

I've gotten extremely sensitive to noise in the last few months. I hear a lot more than other people and almost every noise annoys me. I can only sleep in perfect silence.

Is there any kind of medication that can lower that sensitivity?

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm

Maybe some kind of sedatives will help?

You should ask your doctor

anomy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I've gotten extremely sensitive to noise in the last few months. I hear a lot more than other people and almost every noise annoys me. I can only sleep in perfect silence.

Hi Santus. Is it summer where you are? If so, the noise will probably calm down a lot in a month or so. Kids will be back in school and people will be less active outdoors and less noisy in general. I've been noticing this year how much more noisy summer is and how much more noisy people/kids get when it is a really hot day. Can't wait til fall.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

As far as I am aware there is not, however you can mentally train yourself to relax more with noise and find it less problematic. Things like mindfullness where you just sit with awareness of the noise but not judging the noise as bad etc. If you make noise an enemy it will naturally become more of a problem.
I am on melatonin or sedatives to sleep.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

Meditation and ambient music may help to relax
I'm also on melatonin. At the moment I seem to want it all. Can't get comfortable without a thick duvet, but then it gets too hot so the window gets opened, which then means too much noise from the street :roll:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

Ear plugs. Avoid medication whenever possible.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:06 pm

I have the same problem lately ive been trying earplugs. they take a few nights to get used to having something in your ears though. I find if I get woken up it takes me hours to get back to sleep.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:06 pm

Pot :lol:
perhaps anxiety meds

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Medications all involve changing/adjusting levels of chemicals, enzymes, proteins, gene expression, etc. in the body. We know so little about how/why ASDs often involve hypersensitive sensory systems to begin with, and since the chemicals/enzymes/proteins/gene expression involved with sensory systems and their receptors all act based on environmental stimuli, there really isn't even a feasible way to medicate sensory overarousal. Like, the only reason the signal transduction cascade in the eye's photoreceptors begins is because photons in the environment caused a chain reaction. The only real way to stop the sensory receptors from reacting is to stay away from bothersome stimuli, which is probably why you only ever hear about occupational therapy being used to treat/manage SPD.

Nash: Is there a difference?

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

I just stick the pills in my ears and that seems to do the trick. Gel capsules are more comfortable than the chalky hard pills.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

The only thing I've ever heard of to treat this is sensory integration therapy. What I'll do is over time gradually increase the volumn of my radio, in order to build up immunity to sound. I also have noticed that it's not so much that I don't just do not like how a sound sounds, but dislike the discomfort I might sometimes feel, as a result of the vibrations.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

I have to admit, I've tried lots of meds and earplugs. I stick with the rubbery type musician's earplugs for the noise sensitivity, and they go everywhere with me.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

phyrehawke wrote:
I have to admit, I've tried lots of meds and earplugs. I stick with the rubbery type musician's earplugs for the noise sensitivity, and they go everywhere with me.

I've now ordered some musicians ear plugs. I just hope they're better than the cheap foam / silicon ones I've been using.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

Sanctus wrote:

Quite a few people have mentioned ear plugs, have you been using ear plugs a lot during the day? It's a bit odd your sensitivity has increased, if you do use ear plugs it's possible you've been overusing them and your ears have adjusted.

Jason.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:22 pm

Touretter wrote:
The only thing I've ever heard of to treat this is sensory integration therapy. What I'll do is over time gradually increase the volumn of my radio, in order to build up immunity to sound. I also have noticed that it's not so much that I don't just do not like how a sound sounds, but dislike the discomfort I might sometimes feel, as a result of the vibrations.

I have tried that but after a few minutes my ears increase in sensitivity as I get used to the silence.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

Yup. Just go to the grocery store, grab any bottle of pills you see (preferably cheap ones), open up the top, take out the cotton in the bottle, and stuff it into your ears. Voila! (The pills can be discarded.)

(Yes, that's a joke.)

Earplugs and other hearing protection seem to be the best way to go. There are many types, from rubber earplugs used by swimmers, to the mild muffling effect of wearing your hood up, to the heavy ear protection used by people in noisy work areas and at shooting ranges. You will have to find something comfortable for you.

As for the nighttime, have you tried a white noise machine or a fan? Sure, you have to get used to it--but it's such a predictable noise and covers up unpredictable noise that you will probably find it easier to sleep once you've gotten used to it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com