Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 4:25 am

How do you slow your head down when it's going way too fast?

The last few weeks have been pretty difficult and I've been having a lot of meltdowns. Today I'm incredibly jittery and everything in my head is moving way way too fast, it's all disjointed and there are too many thoughts and subjects.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:00 am

Take a walk. Better yet, swim. Alone of course, with quiet. These time outs work for many people.

EQ: 6.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 5:54 am

Take it easy. Stop caring so much. Enjoy your lifetime.

stumbling_forward
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

+1 on taking a walk or something fairly aerobic for 30+ minutes.

Also...

Make a list; write it down... I find this helps me organize my thoughts and put some structure to them. It can also help limit the scope of my thoughts.

I also find that, sometimes, I 'forget' to breath when I'm really getting carried away. Taking some nice, deep breaths--and focusing on my breathing--helps a little, as well.

A break in routine can help as well. For me, this is WAY easier said than done.

Hope you find some relief, Rattus.

Regards to all.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

If I am trying to sleep, I find that visualizing something slow and rhythmic helps me to calm down. For instance, I visualize a large bird flying peacefully over a canyon, gently flapping its wings in slow motion. Whenever my thoughts speed up, the wings do it too, so I have to concentrate on making the wings slow down again. Eventually I find that I am breathing slower, and my thoughts are slowing down too.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm

I sit down and smoke a little bit of cannabis, its the only ive found that really works for me. A very small dose gives me clarity for most of the day.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
If I am trying to sleep, I find that visualizing something slow and rhythmic helps me to calm down. For instance, I visualize a large bird flying peacefully over a canyon, gently flapping its wings in slow motion. Whenever my thoughts speed up, the wings do it too, so I have to concentrate on making the wings slow down again. Eventually I find that I am breathing slower, and my thoughts are slowing down too.

I think I might try this at night. :thumright:

I don't always keep to my morning meditative practice, but it's brought me a long way in life. Even a few minutes to sit down in the morning, before my day starts, is helpful. My meditations are based on my Basican beliefs and practices and may not be appropriate for you, but anyone can focus on their breathing or an object or quietly observe their thoughts without holding onto them, as the Buddhists do. This is very useful and will both calm you and teach you about yourself. Eventually, you lean not to be as caught up in things during other times of day. It happens naturally and doesn't need to be forced. I'll always have struggles, but I'm much more self-aware than I was years ago. I can push off some meltdowns/shutdowns until I'm in private, get a little less caught in them when they occur sometimes, and feel less awful about myself for having had them once they're over. If my day feels hectic, I can sort through a bit better to find out what I need, even if I can't slow down the things going on. I'm less overwrought if I can stand back a bit and see the overwroughtness for what it is: a natural reaction to things happening faster than I can cope with, not a moral failing on my part. Anybody can get overwhelmed. The things that overwhelm me are just different, and the line at which I become overwhelmed is in a different place than it is for most people. Self-acceptance and clear understanding will go a long way to help you manage, even if you can't stop things from flying by in life.

Besides, if you meditate, it "stops the world" for a little while, giving you the break you need in order to give that little bit extra later on, when the hecticness happens. I recommend researching Buddhist meditation a bit, to help you learn how to do it properly but without risking directing judgment against yourself over whether or not you're doing it "right" enough.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

i use a special technique that helps me, i close my eyes and focus on images you see that you mind makes up from throughout the day. i simply note them without thinking about them. i then culmly notice the next thing and take note at that and then the next....this calms me down really quick and i find is often the best way to help me fall asleep the quickest. it's like meditation.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

allakara wrote:
i use a special technique that helps me, i close my eyes and focus on images you see that you mind makes up from throughout the day. i simply note them without thinking about them. i then culmly notice the next thing and take note at that and then the next....this calms me down really quick and i find is often the best way to help me fall asleep the quickest. it's like meditation.

So, you relive the events? Or what?

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2012, 5:08 am

Thankyou everyone, I've been struggling to take in information over the last few days (something that happens when really stressed) so I haven't been able to comprehend the posts trly but I will read them a number of times and reply in a better way. thankyou so much for them, I cannot tell you how much my life has improved since my un-official diagnosis (to be made official in Feb '13) of ASD, everything makes sense for the first time ever. Wrong planet has been a lovely place to come, it's the first experience I've ever had of being in a commnity where I am not the odd one out, there are actually people like me out there!
x