Is it possible to have aspergers but be good at reading face

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stevanxxx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2015, 1:20 pm

Is it possible to have aspergers but be really good at reading faces at the age of 25? Sucked in social interactions in childhood though, and many other symptoms.

I got 32 out of 36 points on that "Mind in the Eyes" test.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:24 pm

stevanxxx wrote:
Is it possible to have aspergers but be really good at reading faces at the age of 25? Sucked in social interactions in childhood though, and many other symptoms.

I got 32 out of 36 points on that "Mind in the Eyes" test.

Yes it is possible to score high on this test and have autism.
Some studies have found correlation between mind in eyes scores vs. IQ, as the test can be done using explicit analyses instead of fast, automatic, implicit responses.
Autism and normal groups cover wide, overlapping ranges on this test.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:32 pm

I did it again and it seems I'm improving. My test score was in the single figures 2 years ago, now I got 12 :D Yay I'm learning. That being said most of those were guesses that just happened to be right.

I didn't even think it was possible to tell what people were thinking by looking at their eyes, I thought people were lying about mind-reading 8O

Do I... have a low IQ, btbnnyr? I hope not 8O

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:33 pm

iliketrees wrote:
I did it again and it seems I'm improving. My test score was in the single figures 2 years ago, now I got 12 :D Yay I'm learning. That being said most of those were guesses that just happened to be right.

I didn't even think it was possible to tell what people were thinking by looking at their eyes, I thought people were lying about mind-reading 8O

Correlations with IQ doesn't mean you personally have low IQ if you did bad at this test.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:38 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Correlations with IQ doesn't mean you personally have low IQ if you did bad at this test.

Ok, I wonder if they'll test my IQ, I am interested in what it is. I know it's just a number but still.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:39 pm

I've never heard of Mind in the Eyes test.

I did very poor on tests of reading social cues in my neurological exam. However, I believe in real life, I do better than almost everyone I know--with some caveats. I almost never see anger or a person ready to do harm, so I'm strongly biased away from those. I also think I have a *much* more crude system of analysis than others--typically, I can only tell if another person is feeling "good" or "bad"...not the finer details. In real life, then, I seek to find out from the person and help resolve issues. In this way, my way may be significantly more functional, even if it is "simpler".

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:54 pm

I've been training myself to read facial expressions, so I end up doing pretty good on those tests. I watch a lot of shows and documentaries that talk about expressions (I started doing this thinking it would help me with my own expressions, but it hasn't helped...)

Rhu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2015, 6:00 pm

I got 27 in the test, which is almost right on average.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:20 pm

I found the test. I got a 29, which is above average. Cool.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:31 pm

A lot of us have areas where we are not effected as much by autism. I do really bad on face reading tests. But I am good at figuring people out online and am called funny and good at sarcasm online.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:22 am

One of the differences between aspergers and kanners is that the aspergian can learn just about anything he sets his mind to.
indeed, it is quite possible to train your "mind reading", especially if this happens to be your special interst.

that said; i also did this test, but only 4 questions had the answer i thought it should be as an option (and, as you guessed, a wrong option). for example: the obviously hostile expression had the options: "happy/content/flirting/interest"
i got an 8 in score, by guessing.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:28 am

izzeme wrote:
One of the differences between aspergers and kanners is that the aspergian can learn just about anything he sets his mind to.
indeed, it is quite possible to train your "mind reading", especially if this happens to be your special interst.

that said; i also did this test, but only 4 questions had the answer i thought it should be as an option (and, as you guessed, a wrong option). for example: the obviously hostile expression had the options: "happy/content/flirting/interest"
i got an 8 in score, by guessing.

I think I got 12 by memorizing the test, I don't think that's the way it should be done honestly. I haven't understood what's happening, I've just memorized. Is it learning to memorize and not understand what you're memorizing?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 4:42 am

I got 26 which is incredible, I have done similar tests in the past and scored really low. I have been teaching myself facial recognition for a few years now and it appears to be paying off. That said, when I looked at the photos without looking at the multiple choice I had little to no idea, it was only by getting clues from the answers that I was able to get so many right. Unfortunately in the real world peoples faces do not have a pop up screen with written clues. But hey progress is progress.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:03 pm

izzeme wrote:

Proof?

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 5:57 am

Yes, why not? Everything is possible

AliceKathleen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2015, 10:53 am

Sure. It's a syndrome, and not all of us will match all the descriptions. For example, I am clumsy, but have worked
on that for years by taking dance classes, and now am quite average. I myself cannot recognize people easily unless
they have an extreme physical trait. Or, if I run into them outside of the where I see them all the time, I do not
recognize them. Used to be really bothered by this, thought I was just a rude, self absorbed person, but now I
just say, "Sorry, not good at recognizing faces" and move on.