Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 5:25 am

Does anyone else here have trouble following recipes? If even a small instruction is missed out, it will completely throw me off and I won't be able to carry on. I have to cook recipes with my friend because of this.

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2012, 6:58 am

Not in the sense you describe, but if the instructions are written out in paragraph form, I have to rewrite them as bullet points or a flow chart the first time I make it. Otherwise I can't keep track of what I'm doing and what I'm meant to do next.

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 7:06 am

Not at all. I love to cook, and I following recipes is easy for me. If the recipe is not very clear, I will search for similar recipes in the Internet until I understand the procedure very well. Probably cooking is something new for you. As you gain more experience you will be able to fill in the blanks without help. Just feel free to improvise and experiment. That is the beauty of cooking!

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2012, 7:35 am

I find them easy to memorize and easy to follow.

birchbark
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

minotaurheadcheese wrote:
Not in the sense you describe, but if the instructions are written out in paragraph form, I have to rewrite them as bullet points or a flow chart the first time I make it. Otherwise I can't keep track of what I'm doing and what I'm meant to do next.

I translate all of my recipes to bullet points as well. Then I can follow recipes pretty easily, though I almost always forget to preheat the oven when it's needed. :-)

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

I used to have that problem then I started to read the recipe fully before I even start to avoid being stuck in a rock and a hard place.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:27 pm

I hate recipes. I hate using written instructions to do things. Better to show me a bunch of pictures of what the steps are supposed to loo like.