I think people dislike my "natural behavior"

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

The first time when we meet a person, how we judge him? Physical appearance of course. I think not only I look bad (unhealthy), but my behavior is really disturbing to watch. I avoid mirrors at all cost, I think people dislike me the way I act, I can be childish and my movements are careless and sluggish overall. I feel pressure when I walk across the street, people give me weird looks. I think I look very vulnerable from other people point of view. I don't think I can change that. Anybody feels the same?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

You can change a lot about yourself if your willing to try.

For physical apperence; take a shower every day. Comb your hair if you have long hair. Brush your teeth. Wash your face before bed. Use deodorant. Wear clean clothes.

It sounds like you are aware of your bad behaviors; that is the first step towards change.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

It's not the little things like clothes or hygiene that people don't like me, but the vibe that other people feel from me, It's like I'm not even human.

Issit
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 8:38 am

Dizzee wrote:
It's not the little things like clothes or hygiene that people don't like me, but the vibe that other people feel from me, It's like I'm not even human.

I know what you mean.
I do try to fake ¨it (normal human behaviour and vibes) , but can not do it for a very long time
and often people see through it.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2012, 8:44 am

Find out what exactly you think gives people the thoughts of that you think they think. Then change.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2012, 9:29 am

Yes people at work don't like my natural behaviour, they assume I don't listen to them and my head is always in the clouds because I don't look at them. They think I'm a snob because I don't talk to them unless I have to

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:12 am

Hi, Dizzee:

You used an important phrase here: "I think". You are sharing the opinion you hold about yourself and honestly guessing at what is behind the 'weird looks'. I don't know that this is truly how people perceive you or the reason they seem to judge you. I think a lot of it is sheer social awkwardness and it does seem like people 'can feel it' - and you coined it by saying 'vulnerable'. There must be something that they can tell about how people feel uncomfortable as I have had comments in public such as : "It's not that bad, you look like you are in pain". Regarding this specific comment, I thought it was very nice that someone talked to me and saw the pain that I felt, albeit a little embarrassing. It helped me because I knew it was time to get out of the crowd and it felt like it gave me permission to do so - I otherwise felt obligated to be there and I was so overloaded.

I am just guessing myself - maybe you don't look as unhealthy as you think you do? Is it not true that when we feel awkward we start picking out flaws? And what is true of myself, and it seems so many here, we analyze things to the nth degree. Even your behavior - is it really disturbing to watch or are you feeling the effects of being self-conscious? There is nothing 'wrong' with avoiding mirrors - and it is far more refreshing than the types of people who are so busy admiring themselves in a mirror that they don't bother with the rest of the world. I just want to tell you, you sound nice. You are very humble and honest - and people would be lucky to have you as a friend.

I don't like it when people who don't struggle with those feelings tell me to 'accept myself' and that 'we are all different' - easy for them to say - and easy for someone like me who has the similar troubles giving advice that I have a hard time applying to myself (it is always easier to tell other people than ourselves, I think). But I do like a community that can honestly say : I get that. This is a good community. Thank you for your honesty and a good topic.

LM