What are the IQ standards in the US for diagnosing on the au

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Johnq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2012, 9:10 am

My doctor said he was pretty sure I have Aspergers, or high functioning (not sure the difference).

I'm going to take an IQ test today. I've scored over 120 when I was a child, but one thing I worry about is the lyrica I'm taking for nerve pain that makes it hard to concentrate.

So what dx will I get if I score below 100?

What is the difference between high functioning and aspergers? And would PDDNOS fit in the equation depending on my IQ?

All I know is I'm on the spectrum somewhere, and I'm worried I won't get a correct dx because of my meds.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 9:38 am

Well, I'm fairly certain only an IQ of <80 would disqualify you from Aspergers. Also, I'm sure if you've told them about the medication you are on they will be able to take that into account in the diagnostic process.

Johnq

04 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

thanks, I'm just worried/anxious about the test tonight.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

Tested as an adult and with the symptoms of Asperger's and not Autistic Disorder (they're different), and with an IQ of 75 or over, you'll be given AS. You shouldn't score lower than 75 unless you're massively overwhelmed during the testing process.

When you start to get around 50-60, that's when it's more likely AD (greater verbal difficulties and sensory problems equate to a lower IQ score).

Last edited by Dillogic on 04 Sep 2012, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

In North America, one must have an IQ above 70 to receive a diagnosis of asperger's. If one's IQ is below 70, then a diagnosis of autism is given. It is very likely that your IQ is above 70 as deficits often become apparent if the IQ is below 90. I measured in the mid-eighties in two areas of my IQ (short term auditory memory and processing speed) while taking a lot of medication and could notice that I had a much more difficult time than any other students in assignments that relied on those areas and was unsuccessful in the college courses I was taking at the time.
One can still get a diagnosis of autism with even a very high IQ if there were speech delays in childhood. High functioning autism and asperger's can be identical, especially in adulthood, so it seems that one diagnosis is chosen over the other depending on childhood milestones or experiences as opposed to a difference in adult "symptoms" most of the time. PDD-NOS is often diagnosed if there are not enough diagnostic criteria met for a diagnosis of autism or asperger's, but enough signs are present and are causing sufficient distress or dysfunction in one's life to warrant a diagnosis.