A question to those with an official diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 3:49 pm

Here is a perspective from a self diagnosed person.

I was born with a cleft lip and suffered endless bullying in school.

Nobody in my school or family had any idea what Autism was.

The first time I even heard of it was the Rain Man movie.

My handwriting is the pits always has been I was six or seven when I learned to tie my shoes.
My eye contact is beyond a disaster.
I have never formed a relationship.
I don't sing clap cheer hug kiss and so on.
I feel very awkward in shorts and avoid them unless in a very hot country or swimming.
I never speak about love and I don't cry.
I have owned every video game console since the late 80s.
I now run a Mac computer with Windows and Linux on petitions.

I know all about politics religion technology.
I have a obsession with processes that involve numbers.
I have a fascination with anything that runs on rails.

Loud noises like car horns drive me nuts.
Loads of people moving around gets me very anxious.

I was laid off from my job just over a year ago in which I worked for many years checking orders.
I got a new job 3 months ago picking orders and I never make picking errors.

Heading towards 40 I am only starting the process of taking up driving as I really need to.

Before I started this new job I went to see a shrink to get a referral for a proper assessment he said it would take 3 months and it has now been 3 and a half.

Until I get the official assessment I am self diagnosed but I know I have some form of Autism.

Now for those who have the official diagnosis who say people like me are jumping on a bandwagon all I have to ask WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

When do most kids learn to tie their shoes?

"Six or seven" sounds pretty normal to me.

The rest of what you're saying does sound-either consistent with- or it screams autistic.

Because (or despite) that I would recomend getting the official dx.
Youll know for sure then, and you might get perks for having an official disability, and the official test (whether they decide you have it or not) is a great inventory of the person aptitudes and talents (as well as weak areas).

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

The rest of what you're saying does sound-either consistent with- or it screams autistic.

Because (or despite) that I would recomend getting the official dx.
Youll know for sure then, and you might get perks for having an official disability, and the official test (whether they decide you have it or not) is a great inventory of the person aptitudes and talents (as well as weak areas).

Yes I am waiting of the official diagnosis.
And I like your saying it does scream autistic.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Now for those who have the official diagnosis who say people like me are jumping on a bandwagon all I have to ask WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?

What?? No, I can't speak for other people, but I was diagnosed at 17 (in '01) and I never criticize people for a late diagnosis.

At least, in my observation, people like you have had to go longer through life without an explanation, attempt to live the normal life and when it falls apart, do soul searching and finally come to the conclusion that you have an ASD now that people are becoming more aware of it. That's not your fault and I certainly don't live in a culture of blame.
naturalplastic wrote:

Actually, I knew plenty of kids who could tie their shoes at 4 and 5. My family did everything from bribing me with ice cream, barbies, etc etc etc, and I still couldn't figure it out and ended up crying. My mom had to teach me a different way for me to finally get it at 7 (the method she used was the two-loop "bunny ears" method-- I know Ian has an illustration of it on his site guaranteed). If you asked me to tie my shoes the normal way I still can't get it figured out.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

musicforanna wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

What?? No, I can't speak for other people, but I was diagnosed at 17 (in '01) and I never criticize people for a late diagnosis.

At least, in my observation, people like you have had to go longer through life without an explanation, attempt to live the normal life and when it falls apart, do soul searching and finally come to the conclusion that you have an ASD now that people are becoming more aware of it. That's not your fault and I certainly don't live in a culture of blame.
naturalplastic wrote:

Actually, I knew plenty of kids who could tie their shoes at 4 and 5. My family did everything from bribing me with ice cream, barbies, etc etc etc, and I still couldn't figure it out and ended up crying. My mom had to teach me a different way for me to finally get it at 7 (the method she used was the two-loop "bunny ears" method-- I know Ian has an illustration of it on his site guaranteed). If you asked me to tie my shoes the normal way I still can't get it figured out.

My life did not so much fall apart it never really came together.

It is nice to have an explanation and start to accept myself.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Based on my own experiences, it definitely sounds like you have some sort of autistic behavior going on. I'd say the next step is to see a doctor and ask if that could be the case.