Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:45 pm

So I don't do anything! Seriously, if I decide that it's in my best interest to take a break from my special interest (you know, like when my eyes start to glaze over and twitch lol) I have a lot of trouble deciding on what to do with myself. I think the problem is that if I don't really really love something, than I think it's not worth the money/time/energy/etc. that it takes to do it. But there are few things that I really really love, and I'm afraid that if I do those things constantly, I'll get sick of them and having nothing left to love doing :(

Anyway, this is a real problem for me because I really need to get out of the house more. Sometimes I try to force myself to just do the first thing that comes to mind, but then when I do it, I'm disappointed that I'm not doing something I love! *head spins*

Anyone else have this problem?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

Well my mom has this problem....she's a very introverted person and doesn't like to socialize much...she doesn't have an ASD but I think she does have some ASD traits. Anyway she mostly just goes to her exercise classes at the gym and watches her T.V shows and reads novels. She always says she should go out and socialize or she should go out and have more fun but then as she put it she's "not fun loving" she doesn't "love fun". What she means by this is she doesn't like socializing and going to activities that the majority of people think of as fun outings like going to a concert or festival etc.. The thing is if she doesn't like those things then they aren't fun for her....for her fun is her classes at the gym (she takes Thai kwando and aerobics) and reading ect). Fun is whatever you enjoy doing and you don't need to do anything different if you don't want to. If you get sick of your special interests you'll find new ones..... my advice is to just indulge and do what you truly love and don't worry about what you should be doing or could be missing out on.

However if you need to get out of the house more and maybe get exercise /fresh air I would suggest going for walks somewhere where it's quiet and peaceful and maybe scenic or maybe taking exercise classes or swimming.....you might enjoy these things and both my mom and I feel better after having exercised.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

I am like a comic book character when I force myself to play video games knowing that I can otherwise go forever at my tasks until my mind implodes.

And it will implode.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

lady_katie wrote:
So I don't do anything! Seriously, if I decide that it's in my best interest to take a break from my special interest (you know, like when my eyes start to glaze over and twitch lol) I have a lot of trouble deciding on what to do with myself. I think the problem is that if I don't really really love something, than I think it's not worth the money/time/energy/etc. that it takes to do it. But there are few things that I really really love, and I'm afraid that if I do those things constantly, I'll get sick of them and having nothing left to love doing :(

Anyway, this is a real problem for me because I really need to get out of the house more. Sometimes I try to force myself to just do the first thing that comes to mind, but then when I do it, I'm disappointed that I'm not doing something I love! *head spins*

I don't really get why you feel like you need to get out of the house more. I'm quite happy staying home for months and months without stepping out of my house once because home is where I can do my special interests. Going out just wastes time. :D

If it's something you really love doing, how would you get sick of it? The only way you would get sick of something is when something more exciting replaces it, in which case you have no problem.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

You don't like anything?
Seriously?
You don't have an obsession? You don't enjoy innocent childish delights? You must have Anhedonia.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
I don't really get why you feel like you need to get out of the house more. I'm quite happy staying home for months and months without stepping out of my house once because home is where I can do my special interests. Going out just wastes time. :D

I know what you mean, which is why I have trouble going out in the first place. But...when I stay cooped up inside, I do tend to get depressed, and I just generally feel better when I get out of the house. I actually feel a lot more mentally fit when I drag myself outside of the house.

OCD_Angel wrote:
If it's something you really love doing, how would you get sick of it? The only way you would get sick of something is when something more exciting replaces it, in which case you have no problem.

I dunno, it's like...I'll absolutely love a certain thing for months and months and than all of a sudden *poof* I just get sick of it. I do this with food all the time, and it's not guaranteed that something will replace my favorite foods. For example, I got on a flavored oatmeal kick for breakfast and ate this every day for many months in a row. Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Now I just don't know what to eat for breakfast. Nothing sounds good at all.

So, if one of my favorite things to do is have a bonfire...I'm so afraid that if I do it too often, I'll stop thinking it's fun. I would be so sad if that happened!

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 7:54 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
my advice is to just indulge and do what you truly love and don't worry about what you should be doing or could be missing out on.

However if you need to get out of the house more and maybe get exercise /fresh air I would suggest going for walks somewhere where it's quiet and peaceful and maybe scenic or maybe taking exercise classes or swimming.....you might enjoy these things and both my mom and I feel better after having exercised.

I'll try :)

And yes, I do need to exercise more. I feel a lot better when I do.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
You don't like anything?
Seriously? You don't have an obsession?

I like things, I just don't like a lot of things outside of my obsessions, which keep me cooped up in the house too much...which is the problem here.

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
You don't enjoy innocent childish delights?

I like to eat junk food lol...and yes, I do leave the house to eat junk food. What other kinds of "innocent childish delights" are there? Maybe you can give me some inspiration.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

Childish delights make the world go round. When I work a 12 hour shift and want to eat a dozen cookies afterward, that's what I'm going to do! I just need to remember to brush, cut back on other things and walk around more.

And fun is subjective. Just because a large group finds something enjoyable doesn't mean you have to...

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

lady_katie wrote:

The same thing is happening to me. I am obessed with dogs but my mom is thinking of making me get rid of mine because of my anger problems. If that happens I will have nothing left to live for. :cry:

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 8:19 pm

Kaelynn wrote:
lady_katie wrote:

The same thing is happening to me. I am obessed with dogs but my mom is thinking of making me get rid of mine because of my anger problems. If that happens I will have nothing left to live for. :cry:

*hugs* does your mom think that your anger problems are somehow connected to you having a dog?

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 9:29 pm

They are. I get mad at the dog and take it out on her. I know it's bad and needs to stop. I just have a really har time controlling my anger. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I wish that my obsession would change.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm

Kaelynn wrote:
They are. I get mad at the dog and take it out on her. I know it's bad and needs to stop. I just have a really har time controlling my anger. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I wish that my obsession would change.

Get something else to focus your anger on. I dunno, a punching bag or something. When you get angry, you go to another room, and just keep hammering the bag until the rage subsides. Believe me, it's better than taking it out on those that had nothing to do with it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 5:16 am

I have the same problem. Just the thought of shopping centres bore me to tears, and people are like, ''if you don't like browsing around shops and buying new things, then what the hell do you like doing?'' or, ''why do you get so bored at social situations? What do you expect to do at a social situation? Have all the attention drawn to you?'' And the answer to that last one is no. I always worry though, because I'm not really interested in anything. I don't watch telly, I don't read magazines or newspapers, I don't read many books, I don't go out very far, I don't like shopping, I don't like anything. The things I do like are just general every-day things what I sort of enjoy but not enough to define it as an interest.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 5:34 am

Lack of interest in enjoyable activities is a sign of depression

My activities change, though some are constant. Wave riding, riding motorcycles, meeting interesting people, drinking coffee and smoking buds[waning] have been constants for a long long time

I get quite a laugh from WP, went to a meeting tonight[disappointing but still interesting], and have some DVD's to watch

I walk 10km a day, talk to many species of birds, talk with walkers, moms and kiddies.

The world has so much beauty..... which is often clouded by bad weather, inactivity, poor dietary choices and depression.

Only a month ago I was depressed, got some sun and exercise and BAMMO

here comes the fun

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 6:53 am

Kaelynn wrote:

I actually had the same sort of problem when I was around your age. I had 3 parakeets and I really did like them, but they would chirp so loudly and the noise would overload me and I would end up throwing things at their cage to quiet them down. I never did get that under control, and eventually gave them away. Now days, I just learn ways to avoid becoming angry in the first place, since I could never seem to avoid doing something destructive with it. This method works pretty well for me actually. So like, if I feel like I'm becoming agitated (which leads to anger for me) I'll do something calming and relaxing before the anger sets in. It helps me, at least :)