What do you use as a stress reliever?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Though not so much as stress, but as a remedy for overstimulation, I tend to use heavy metal objects, my stim toys, guns (for target practice), music, feline companions and wearing body armor (weight and tightness on my torso/sides). On occasion, I will practice maneuvers with my swords, which also provides a decent workout.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

Read a book with music on in the background. Try and give your mind two things to do at the same time, weird I know, but it helps to dilute whatever it is that’s stressing out your mind.

You can also stick some headphones on and listen to whatever song helps to calm you down. I listen to the same song repeatedly; I have since I was a young child. It helps to slow my mind down to a better level..

I have never trusted drugs. I live with anxiety and depression, I would rather untangle my own web than let some quack proscribe me sedatives and become addicted.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2012, 8:57 pm

Me, I usually just go for a walk and mumble out my anger.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:19 am

katwithhat wrote:
I've asked my GP for something for stress relief and she told me it was something for my psychiatrist. I asked him and he said he wasn't too comfortable prescribing things for stress because of the addictive qualities. So I was wondering what is out there other than benzo's. Maybe something natural. I've joined a gym and I know that will help some but it's mainly for the times I'm dangerously close to freaking out on somebody or going into a full-on meltdown.

For me:
Cats
Incense
Deep, Deep Meditation
Soft fur
Cool air
a breeze

That's about it I think :/

Vintagegirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2012, 5:03 pm

Petting my cat :)

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 5:28 pm

Music is my goto stress reliever. Often slow, somewhat melancholic stuff helps me relax and forget about the world around me.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

Music,, a walk out side,, working in the yard,, pretty much anything involving physical exertion.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 5:57 pm

petting one of my cats
mantras - I use them with prayer beads and sometimes just fingering the beads helps
poetry - there is something about reading Mary Oliver's poetry about nature that relaxes me
knitting
washing the dishes or chopping vegetables - both can be meditative
watching clouds - if there are clouds
sitting outside and watching the birds, feeling the breeze, hearing the trees rustle

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

Marijuana, but if the legal status worries you then perhaps passionflower its an herb/flower with relaxing effects. Or they make tea blends with passionflower, chamomile and other relaxing herbs I've so far only tried it that way so not sure what passionflower alone would do. But yeah as far as I know there are quite a few legal herbs that can help with stress.

I find listening to music helpful as well.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 6:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marijuana, but if the legal status worries you then perhaps passionflower its an herb/flower with relaxing effects. Or they make tea blends with passionflower, chamomile and other relaxing herbs I've so far only tried it that way so not sure what passionflower alone would do. But yeah as far as I know there are quite a few legal herbs that can help with stress.

Valerian root is also a relaxing herb. It smells bad (reminiscent of dirty socks), so I use the capsules. The cats love it too, it's like catnip to them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

BlueAbyss wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Valerian root is also a relaxing herb. It smells bad (reminiscent of dirty socks), so I use the capsules. The cats love it too, it's like catnip to them.

Yeah that one is good as well, I've had tea with valarian, chamomile and mint which tasted good. The tincture form does not really bother me either but then again I also like bitter black tea like if I put two teabags of earl grey in a regular coffee cup.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:53 pm

Bejeweled Blitz!

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

verbena is useful - and very good in warm milk

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2012, 4:43 am

Solitude + gaming. Works like a charm. It doesn't matter how strong the stress might be - it always melts away and disappears without a trace.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 6:24 am

Strenuous exercise works for me. There's a hill that's nearly 300 metres above sea level near my place. Climbing that thing leaves no room for any other thought but getting to the top. Being outside in the fresh air, surrounded by trees, also helps, and the view from the top is a knockout.