Anyone think they got this autistic ability...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 4:44 pm

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

09 Jan 2007, 11:09 pm

I got no special ability.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 11:25 pm

I watched the video - remarkable.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 11:51 pm

He has a gallery too...

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/

Totally awesome!! ! 8O

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 10:08 pm

His drawings are awesome! One of the fascinating things I noticed about his drawings is some of the naturally occuring continuity and detail the drawing posseses. For example, the New york taxicab picture has Checker Marathons, Chevy Implalas and Caprices in random in it, just like if someone were to take a phonograph. Each vehicle has subtle detail in them that differentiates them, like the changes in grill design from year to year, etc For a typical drawing from someone else of a taxi-filled New York street, it would probably be all Checkers of the same year, all Impalas, etc, and they would all look identical. Architectual subtleties on the buildings would be either missing, or added through "artistic license"...his are all correct to exactly what was seen by him that day!

I can draw quite well, especially with very good detail. My photographic memory is hardly as good as his is, but I will work on a drawing for considerable time to draw a building or something that is in correct proportion. I espeically like his obsession with big, American automobiles, as he has drawn frequently. His work is truly awesome!

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 10:16 pm

Hey Cockney! He's got some really awesome drawings of London with Routemasters in them! :) :)

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/art.aspx?Id=972

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/art_g ... spx?Id=915

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2007, 2:50 am

I have nothing like the talent he has but I am very good at installing and troubleshooting, sound, lighting, and, to a lesser extent, video systems. In complex systems, I can visualize complex relationships between different pieces of equipment. I can very quickly visualize signal paths as well which is very useful for troubleshooting. An audio signal is not getting from point A to point Z: I can usually find the problem in a matter of minutes. Designing and setting up complex systems is second nature to me. Here is a sound system diagram from a play I designed last year minus the speaker and sub woofer wiring (no room on the paper :-P). On Flickr

Alfons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2007, 12:33 pm

Amazing video, but...

What's an "autistic ability"?

I'm autistic (AS) and have certain abilities (who doesn't?), but I don't see how they're connected. The aspie part of my personality is an entirely bad thing that prevents me from living the life I want. It doesn't come with any extraordinary skills. The vast majority of us are not Rain Man.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Jan 2007, 1:04 pm

Alfons wrote:
Amazing video, but...

What's an "autistic ability"?

I'm autistic (AS) and have certain abilities (who doesn't?), but I don't see how they're connected. The aspie part of my personality is an entirely bad thing that prevents me from living the life I want. It doesn't come with any extraordinary skills. The vast majority of us are not Rain Man.

I think an autistic ability is a type of savant skill. I may be wrong however. Anyone else want to make a guess?

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 1:26 pm

Correct Alex both mean the same thing if you google it :) maybe I should of used Savant.... But then not all savants are autistic... :)

Ill take that as a definition miss understanding :)

Last edited by logitechdog on 11 Jan 2007, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 1:39 pm

logitechdog wrote:
Correct Alex both mean the same thing if you google it :) maybe I should of used Savant.... But then not all savants are autistic... :)

Not all Autistics are Savants, either.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 9:48 pm

NeoPlatonist wrote:
I have nothing like the talent he has but I am very good at installing and troubleshooting, sound, lighting, and, to a lesser extent, video systems. In complex systems, I can visualize complex relationships between different pieces of equipment. I can very quickly visualize signal paths as well which is very useful for troubleshooting. An audio signal is not getting from point A to point Z: I can usually find the problem in a matter of minutes. Designing and setting up complex systems is second nature to me. Here is a sound system diagram from a play I designed last year minus the speaker and sub woofer wiring (no room on the paper :-P). On Flickr

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 9:59 pm

(I forgot to submit my reply to your quote, Michael).

I draw aerial irrigation patterns over agricultural fields (hectares) from the perimeters. I understand your schematic in that my drawings look similiar. Note: I know nothing at all about video systems. Additionally, in the chem instrumentation lab, I detect the signal and relay back in a quantifiable form - in essence, I am the instrument. I am math/science oriented and I artistic (I like to draw). For me, these expressions are continuous and I need both to function well in my capacity. I think in patterns and sequences (I see the unseen). I notice your profile indicated you are a theatre major. If I may ask, is your artistic talent congruent with your technical abilities? I understand if this is so.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 10:30 pm

Quote:
I have nothing like the talent he has but I am very good at installing and troubleshooting, sound, lighting, and, to a lesser extent, video systems. In complex systems, I can visualize complex relationships between different pieces of equipment. I can very quickly visualize signal paths as well which is very useful for troubleshooting. An audio signal is not getting from point A to point Z: I can usually find the problem in a matter of minutes. Designing and setting up complex systems is second nature to me. Here is a sound system diagram from a play I designed last year minus the speaker and sub woofer wiring (no room on the paper Razz). On Flickr

Sounds like you do lots of the same stuff that I do for a living :) I was working in computers for a while, and while the job was Ok, the worst of it was working for a bunch of big companies with lotsa bureaucracy. My aspie tendancies weren't really compatible with the jobs. When I was over at a friend's house, he told me, "I bet you can't make any sound come out of my stereo" It was a HUGE stereo with several switchers, signal processing loops, etc. I told him I would be able to work every function on it, just give me 15 minutes. Yep, I looked in the back of the system, and followed a few wires, then started pushing some buttons. In 5 minutes I had sound coming out of it...in 15 minutes, I had a complete schematic drawing of his system and was even explaining things to him that even he didn't know it would do (like record a tape that had been equalized at his EQ first!) I then recommended some wiring changes to make it more versatile for him.

Since then, I knew I had a special talent, so I opened up my own audiovisual shop, and I install multi-media systems mostly in businesses, but a few homes too! It's great working for myself, and being the "boss". I've been able to hire other aspies I get along with too, so we are a shop full of geeks that really have a passion for the stuff like you do!

You ought to go into business for youself like this :) The audiovisual business is really lucrative right now, and it's a great timey to establish a good name in the business!

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2007, 2:35 am

That is pretty good :P.

That's my two pence worth.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 2:38 am

i am a musical savant with perfect pitch.also,i draw.