Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Tonight I tried rock climbing for the first serious time, and they called me a "prodigy." It was the first time someone actually said that word to me so I was a little embarrassed, :oops: but it still left me feeling pretty good about it. They would tie a knot, I'd tie it the same way. They'd teach me a different knot and I'd tie it behind my back. Then there was the wall. When I was little I tried to climb at rock walls at parties and what not, but I never had the upper-body strength or coordination or balance. Now, after doing martial arts for over a decade, it's like I'm suddenly a whole different person. I like this new rock-climbing me.

So what are you good at?
What activities do you feel most confident in?
What things are just plain enjoyable?

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

Well I get paid a respectable amount to do icon design, so I guess I'm pretty good at that. I can also make people laugh easily.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

Tetris. And moderately good at Grandmaster Tetris.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

Exceptionally good with both pistols and rifles. I can keep 5 rounds inside a quarter with my bolt action at 300m and shoot the 200m range with my .357. For some reason I have a very good instinct for estimating drop and wind to make compensation. It just happens in my head more by feel than thought.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Still trying to find that special talent myself.

One thing that comes to mind is I'm apparently a very good listener. People I've just met will tell me their life stories and big worries. People on forums will approach me for advice on life and for someone to listen to them.

Outside of that, I tend to be quite good at most things, but have always had a hard time focusing on one to become great.

charlulz
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm

I have been told by family, friends and even strangers that I am a very good cook. Especially when it comes to seasoning and spices. I never measure anything out so I have very good judgement when It comes to flavors. I have also been complimented (and sometimes scolded cause of my rambling about it) on my knowledge of video games.

Food and video games, 2 hobbies I find great enjoyment in, plus I'm apparently good at them too. What a bonus :lol: .

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

According to other people, I'm good at writing and playing piano by ear. My parents periodically encourage me to pursue these things, especially the writing. But personally, I don't like to write because I'm primarily a visual thinker - I am much more into visual arts and often lament that I was not born with a natural talent for drawing instead. I don't like to play piano for two reasons: 1) I have bad performance anxiety and 2) I had a couple of bad experiences in childhood where I was made to feel inferior by kids who had taken actual lessons.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm

I guess, for this past summer, I'd have to say writing. I wrote about 30 short stories, five novellas, two fairy tales and three poems. I'm now <cough> attempting <cough> to write a novel. It's depressing me because I'm at the very beginning and I know this book can take a year to finish. Oy!

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:57 pm

I am probably best at fixing anything mechanical. My specialty is cars, but I can also fix almost anything else as well. I'm also somewhat adept at computers and electronics, but there is too much I don't know about them to say I am actually good with them. Likewise, I am also called upon by people I know to do drywall, ceramic tile and plumbing too. However, I am not a pro with them, just a homeowner who has been able to pick up these skills fairly easily.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:34 am

I am good at Bejeweled Blitz.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2012, 1:44 am

IdahoRose wrote:
According to other people, I'm good at writing and playing piano by ear. My parents periodically encourage me to pursue these things, especially the writing. But personally, I don't like to write because I'm primarily a visual thinker - I am much more into visual arts and often lament that I was not born with a natural talent for drawing instead. I don't like to play piano for two reasons: 1) I have bad performance anxiety and 2) I had a couple of bad experiences in childhood where I was made to feel inferior by kids who had taken actual lessons.

My son seems to have a really good ear for music, after just a few bars he can identify the song and the artist. I have been told that the 'suzuki' method for learning music is good because it goes by ear which I am keen to explore further - he would have no interest in learning to read music (not at this age, anyway).

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:55 am

charlulz wrote:
I have been told by family, friends and even strangers that I am a very good cook. Especially when it comes to seasoning and spices. I never measure anything out so I have very good judgement when It comes to flavors. I have also been complimented (and sometimes scolded cause of my rambling about it) on my knowledge of video games.

Food and video games, 2 hobbies I find great enjoyment in, plus I'm apparently good at them too. What a bonus :lol: .

Dang, you must be the master at cooking games then :P jk although I'm sure you actually are.

I used to be good at video games, but I often feel that my capabilities have gone down severely over the years.
The thing is, I can't think of a real useful skill that I have. I can think of plenty of useless ones though lol.

Although I will say one thing, I have the interesting ability to merge myself into fiction. What I mean by that is, I am able to put myself in the role of a spectator in a show on tv, or in the role of a character in a first person game. It enhances the experience to such a degree, that it almost feels like reality to me unless I'm interupted. I can, of course, always tell the difference between fiction and reality, but when I merge myself into those roles, I am able to relate to the characters and storyline in a way that makes it an almost personal experience.
The interesting thing though (and at times, annoying) is I tend to be able to predict the outcome of most everything I watch, although I've attributed that to the fact that over the years, it's all gotten just that predictable.
I used to be able to merge into books as well, but that part faded with time, it's only with tv and videogames now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 2:08 am

i used to be exceptionally good at tuning musical instruments by ear, as i have perfect pitch. but as i've grown older it has become less perfect. :hmph:
i still am fairly good at the art of digital audio restoration of damaged audio.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2012, 2:31 am

I seem to be good at regurgitating information and with animals. The information isn't always relevent but it is still information.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 2:38 am

Creative writing, and nothing else.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 9:43 am

Like PixelPony and Jaden, I don't seem to have one special thing I'm good at.

However, it appears as though I also don't have anything I'm moderately good at, or an even distribution of talent among skills. Right now, I'm honestly going through a phase where I feel as though I don't excel at anything.
There was stuff I guess I USED to be good at, but those skills have been left untrained for so many years, that they're currently all below-average. I was awesome at learning about animals once, but they stopped interesting me over the course of my teenage years. That's possibly the greatest loss I've ever suffered in my life. That, and losing interest in drawing. I honestly was never very good at drawing, yet I was an obsessive compulsive artist in my pre-teen years.

Now, I don't really have a need to be that good at anything. As long as I can keep my head above the water in this crazy world, I'll be happy. 8)