Does anyone else here disllike the term "I'm used to it

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

I dislike the term "well I am used to it" when something happens to a person like not being invited to things or a girl being mistaken for a boy etc..
It's a shame we as aspies seem to say that quite a bit more than others about being "used to it".

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

I use it quite a bit when people comment on my age or mistake me for being a child.

Or, more "It happens all the time" rather than "I'm used to it" because "I'm used to it" implies "and therefore I'm okay with it". "It happens all the time" implies "because you're another idiot in a long line of them."

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

I dislike the term based on the logic (or lack thereof) behind it. How does someone "used to?"
How can someone be "used to" something? One can use something, be using or have used something, but one cannot used to something. It simply makes no sense, like much of the English language. "A common occurrence" or "it happens quite often" are far more logical uses of English. If one wants to convey that they are not bothered by something, they can say "It happens so often, it doesn't even bother me." Something happening "all the time" is also one of those illogical applications of English. Why not just say "it happens many times?"

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

That's true. I'm an oddball but I can't get used to it. I live alone and I haven't gotten used to it. I'll probably be alone the rest of my pathetic life. How can I get used to that?

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

Yeah, it reminds me of all the stuff I'm used to (being ignored, saying something really interesting and being met with blank stares, people thinking I'm sad or angry, etc.) that in an ideal world wouldn't happen, but still, "I'm used to it," so why worry? People don't change.

I think it's just part of life.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 3:19 pm

mljt wrote:
I use it quite a bit when people comment on my age or mistake me for being a child.

Or, more "It happens all the time" rather than "I'm used to it" because "I'm used to it" implies "and therefore I'm okay with it". "It happens all the time" implies "because you're another idiot in a long line of them."

I would imagine that "I'm used to it" is basically a combination of "It happens all the time" and "I'm resigned to what I cannot help".

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's merely an expression.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

I used to people saying "I'm used to it" :P

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 5:54 pm

Well I found myself saying it the other day when talking to someone and at the last minute the plans made were changed and I was very depressed about the change and the person apologized for changing the plans at the last minute and I said I am used to it-being built up and looking forward to something then things at the last possible minute comes up and now my plans are over and I sit in my room alone again.

Google37
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

Yes but I'm used to it.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

I use it when people do what they always do to me (reject me because of how I think/feel/etc. even when they know the reason). Honestly i never get tired of the phrase because it's one of the few things I can use to describe my feelings about how people treat me. When I say "I'm used to it", it's usually to convey that it happens too much.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm

eric76 wrote:
mljt wrote:

I would imagine that "I'm used to it" is basically a combination of "It happens all the time" and "I'm resigned to what I cannot help".

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:56 am

No, I'm used to it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 2:31 am

No. People just learn to deal with it and not care anymore nor let it bother them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 2:38 am

Dealing with abuse? Im used to it.. Being ignored? Im used to it. Being conned? Im used to it. Being treated like an outsider?Im used to it. Being alone? Im used to it.Being falsely accused for no reason? Im used to it. Dealing with all this stuff all my life? well.... Im used to it but it doesnt mean I dont get sick of it.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:47 am

it gets annoying to say that, but i think it is a good thing.
imagine that i wasn't "used to" all the issues i get from my aspergers; life would be hell on earth