Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

hey what is pddnos. That what I have. so what is it. I know its put in autism group. But not sure really what is.
so asperger is no delay of speech
hfa is like asperger but with a delay of speech
then of course classic autism of you know hand slapping non verbal
but pddnos well I guess it's me or something?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

It means Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It means you have some of the traits related to autism, but not enough for a specific diagnosis.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
It means Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It means you have some of the traits related to autism, but not enough for a specific diagnosis.

I guess I have PDD-NOS HFA-type.
So I have all the since of HFA and I even have a HFA-diagnosis and was very typical as a child but I guess if I would be tested again, I would just get a PDD-NOS diagnosis nowadays.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

PDD-NOS is just atypical autism. It is any kind of autism that doesn't fit into a specific subtype (Asperger's, Kanner's, CDD, or Rett syndrome). Ironically, most autism doesn't fit into a specific subtype; about sixty percent of us have PDD-NOS, though some of those people will identify as Aspies because their cases are close enough to AS to make no difference except from a diagnostic perspective.

PDD-NOS comes in all severity levels. For a diagnosis, it just has to be severe enough to cause impairment. It can be because you have too few symptoms (but the ones you have are strong enough to cause impairment), because you have symptoms of more than one subtype, because you used to qualify for one subtype but "grew out of it" (for example: Kanner's in childhood, looks like Asperger's in adulthood--common situation there, but AS is ruled out by the history of speech or self-care difficulties). You can also be diagnosed PDD-NOS because you have other disabilities that complicate diagnosis, or because you have an atypical variant of Rett's or CDD, or because your autism is secondary to something like Fragile X. It's also used for cases where there's severe global developmental delay and there's no telling what is due to autism and what is due to the overall intellectual disability.

So you're probably just best off calling yourself "autistic", just plain autistic... Autism is a very big category, very diverse. People are just going to have to understand that subdividing autism into smaller categories won't help us any when it comes to offering services and treatment, because there are no clear-cut subcategories, really. Any time you put an autistic person into a subcategory, you tend to lose information, not gain it, because they will almost inevitably have traits that don't fit into the subcategory, and be missing some that do.

PDD-NOS is atypical autism, or just plain autism if you don't want to be fancy about it. You're an individual--you share certain traits with the Spectrum, but your autism is expressed in a way that is not quite like anybody else's. That's true of most of us, but perhaps somewhat more so for people with PDD-NOS.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com