What to do when emotionally overattached to special interest

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2012, 12:02 am

Have you ever had a special interest or obsession that is not merely acquiring knowledge or skill in a certain subject area.....but just bizarre?

Suppose it consumes your life, and you would like to become interested or 'obsessed' with something else.......How do you switch obsessions?

I vaguely recall one or more threads similar to this topic, so apologies in advance if this is redundant in any way.....but i'm worried that my emotions are tied up with my special interest.

If special interest goes well one day, i feel great----if it goes badly, i feel terrible. Most days, i feel absolutely terrible because i can't get my special interest to go perfectly like i'd like it to.. :(

In fact, i've rarely experienced a special interest to be a joyful thing. Usually it is an emotional rollercoaster ride, feeling like joy is just around the corner only to be let down.

However, in most descriptions of Asperger's, special interest sounds like a sterile, usually fulfilling or joyful thing......interest in a particular subject matter, for instance. Thirst for knowledge or acquiring skill in a certain area. The way it is usually described, it doesn't sound like a 'special interest' could ever go wrong, or ever be completely dependent on the environment (if you know what i mean)...

For example, do any of you have a special interest that the real world can't always fulfill or can only fulfill part of the time...or a special interest that is fragile or that you are unusually emotionally dependent upon?

What do you do when you are too emotionally attached to your special interest....Are obsessions easy to change; if so, how do you switch obsessions?

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

What I would call my special interest doesn't even have a name and its hard to explain to other people, but it's been the same since I was 14 (so 12 years now), its just that as life gets more complicated, I have to hang all this other crap on it so that I can keep being like a human and keep living.

I think special interests are used as a kind of "go to" situation. Because nothing else makes good sense, you just say, "when x happens, I go to my special interest" even if that really makes no sense either; its just a rule that WORKS. And it ends up being something you are naturally good at for some reason or you have the right resources around you to grow that interest, or the only person who talks to you teaches you about it, etc. Because it's the thing that lets you in.

and when you don't have access to it, or something pops up inside it that doesn't feel like it, then its like your golden rule didn't work. you get stuck. the program crashes. your browser freezes. and that's when you shut it off and pretend like that didn't happen and come back later like its the morning. you either do that or you waste a bunch of time feeling terrified and alone out of your mind, so learn to make that choice to get back up and start jumping and trying to reach that rope end hanging 15 feet above your head. and hope Lamarck was on to something.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 3:33 am

I'm in this situation at the moment. I'm so obsessed with bus-drivers that I want to be one, which I know isn't possible because I have no experience in driving and by the time a slow learner like me has got years of driving experience, my favourite bus company would probably gone bust or something anyway so my favourite group of bus-drivers probably won't be around anyway, and these bus-drivers are the most friendliest bus-drivers I have ever come across (a lot of people have said this). I love being obsessed with these bus-drivers, but I have become a bit too obsessed, and now I just want to live a life in their world, marry one of the cutest ones, and be one myself. It is even taking over my life, because I want to get a job what is out of town so I can get this bus every day to work, and when obsessions start getting in the way of your employment issues THEN that's when you should begin to worry!

But, I read somewhere that being happy and confident is also important, and if getting this particular bus makes me feel happy and confident, then wouldn't it be better in the long run if I did work somewhere where I have to get this bus so that even if I didn't like the job it would still make me want to get up and go to it, being so one wink from a tasty bus-driver makes my day and makes me feel more confident? I'm a depressed person, have anxiety issues and prone to stress and panic, and getting on this bus (without the crowds!) does make me feel more happy and relaxed, and so isn't that also important?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 4:00 am

I used to be very, very emotionally attached to my special interest in movies that were both directed by Tim Burton and had Johnny Depp as the leading man (movies including Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and especially Alice in Wonderland).

When I finally started getting bored with those movies, I felt immensely guilty and upset over it, and I kept trying to convince myself that I still loved them as much as I always did. But deep down inside I knew it was over.

It took me what felt like a very long time, but eventually I managed to convince myself that it was OK that I'm not interested in them anymore. What happened was that I decided to go just one day without thinking about those movies and see how it made me feel. When I realized that, hey, nothing bad happened, it became a lot easier to emotionally detach myself.I know I have made progress because when I first began to lose interest in Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies, anytime I heard them mentioned in conversation or online, I would inwardly flinch and feel a pang of heartache; but lately I haven't been been experiencing that. In fact, I feel almost neutral about it.

But now my biggest problem is finding a new special interest. Everyday is boring, and I feel so empty inside. I've spent weeks, maybe months searching for something - anything - to occupy my mind, but all efforts have been in vain. Every conversation I have with family members, and most of my more recent posts on WP, revolves around me complaining about my lack of special interests. I realize that I must be really annoying to listen to, but I usually talk a lot about my special interests, and since I don't have any, it feels like all I can talk about is my lack of one. Sometimes I feel like it's driving me so crazy that I want to go back to therapy for it, but I worry that it's not a big enough issue to warrant it; that my therapist will think I'm stupid for taking up their time over not having a hobby.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I used to be very, very emotionally attached to my special interest in movies that were both directed by Tim Burton and had Johnny Depp as the leading man (movies including Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and especially Alice in Wonderland).

When I finally started getting bored with those movies, I felt immensely guilty and upset over it, and I kept trying to convince myself that I still loved them as much as I always did. But deep down inside I knew it was over.

It took me what felt like a very long time, but eventually I managed to convince myself that it was OK that I'm not interested in them anymore. What happened was that I decided to go just one day without thinking about those movies and see how it made me feel. When I realized that, hey, nothing bad happened, it became a lot easier to emotionally detach myself.I know I have made progress because when I first began to lose interest in Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies, anytime I heard them mentioned in conversation or online, I would inwardly flinch and feel a pang of heartache; but lately I haven't been been experiencing that. In fact, I feel almost neutral about it.

But now my biggest problem is finding a new special interest. Everyday is boring, and I feel so empty inside. I've spent weeks, maybe months searching for something - anything - to occupy my mind, but all efforts have been in vain. Every conversation I have with family members, and most of my more recent posts on WP, revolves around me complaining about my lack of special interests. I realize that I must be really annoying to listen to, but I usually talk a lot about my special interests, and since I don't have any, it feels like all I can talk about is my lack of one. Sometimes I feel like it's driving me so crazy that I want to go back to therapy for it, but I worry that it's not a big enough issue to warrant it; that my therapist will think I'm stupid for taking up their time over not having a hobby.

I too feel very empty without my special interest... It is true that time heals, at least the heartache feeling concerning the loss of a special interest. But dealing with the empty feeling in its wake is the toughest thing :(

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm in this situation at the moment. I'm so obsessed with bus-drivers that I want to be one, which I know isn't possible because I have no experience in driving and by the time a slow learner like me has got years of driving experience, my favourite bus company would probably gone bust or something anyway so my favourite group of bus-drivers probably won't be around anyway, and these bus-drivers are the most friendliest bus-drivers I have ever come across (a lot of people have said this). I love being obsessed with these bus-drivers, but I have become a bit too obsessed, and now I just want to live a life in their world, marry one of the cutest ones, and be one myself. It is even taking over my life, because I want to get a job what is out of town so I can get this bus every day to work, and when obsessions start getting in the way of your employment issues THEN that's when you should begin to worry!

But, I read somewhere that being happy and confident is also important, and if getting this particular bus makes me feel happy and confident, then wouldn't it be better in the long run if I did work somewhere where I have to get this bus so that even if I didn't like the job it would still make me want to get up and go to it, being so one wink from a tasty bus-driver makes my day and makes me feel more confident? I'm a depressed person, have anxiety issues and prone to stress and panic, and getting on this bus (without the crowds!) does make me feel more happy and relaxed, and so isn't that also important?

If getting on the bus makes you happy and motivates you, then that is very important. Is it one particular bus far away from you that you have to take in order to achieve this feeling?

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
What I would call my special interest doesn't even have a name and its hard to explain to other people, but it's been the same since I was 14 (so 12 years now), its just that as life gets more complicated, I have to hang all this other crap on it so that I can keep being like a human and keep living.

My special interest doesn't have a name either and is hard to explain to others; it changes over the years but the underlying theme is generally the same.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

These things, like all things, can go wrong.

I had a special interest, I wrote an intensive biography of the forgotten band Bloodrock. This project entailed contact with the people who were members. Relations with people can be particularly fraught. And so it was. A living hell after some years and I knew it.

Many special interests can be viewed as trees. Tree of life maybe. There are branches and there can be tangents. Little fresh shoots to take the topic elsewhere. I started writing about other bands. I started writing about deceased musicians. They posed less problems.

Look to the side of your interest. See if there's a footnote, a sidebar. There probably is. That's the exit ramp.

EQ: 6.

anec_empire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
These things, like all things, can go wrong.

I like the lasso analogy: You can be interested in anything. anything. But in order to survive as a sentient being, you need to figure out how to 'lasso' whatever it is and integrate it into your larger self. You cannot let 'the thing' become larger than you (the being). How does 'thing' relate to ME? Any explanation will suffice. Just remember that you as a person is more interesting than any one topic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:36 am

Quote:
If getting on the bus makes you happy and motivates you, then that is very important. Is it one particular bus far away from you that you have to take in order to achieve this feeling?

Yes. Well, I only live in a small village and I only have family here, no friends (even though I've lived here all my life), so this bus takes me to the nearest bigger town, about 10 miles away. All my friends live in this town, and there are more shops, and the college is there where I used to go to where I meet some of the friends I have got, and I do voluntary work aswell, so this bus is a great service. I know anxieties still are caused on this bus, which makes me end up avoiding certain times, so now I find myself getting the bus at 8 o'clock, which is a bit early and a bit more expensive but I'd rather go then and get a seat rather than go later and have to endure crowds of unpredictable people piling on.

But the job centre will have a go at me if I tell them that I don't want a job in the town where I live because I then won't be able to get this bus so much. But that's not the only reason anyway - I'd rather go to the bigger town to work because where I live the shops keep closing down and other businesses keep going out of business, so I don't think my job will be very safe here anyway, I'd prefer to go further afield.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Look to the side of your interest. See if there's a footnote, a sidebar. There probably is. That's the exit ramp.

I like this idea....interesting.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

My special interest changes all the time. But the nature of a special interest is that you're too attached to it. I don't know that there's anything that can be done to stop the attachment. You can switch to something new... But then you're too attached to whatever's next. Besides, I don't know how to change or choose a special interest. It just happens. If I knew how to control it I'd be so happy!!

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2012, 11:29 pm

Esperanza wrote:
My special interest changes all the time. But the nature of a special interest is that you're too attached to it. I don't know that there's anything that can be done to stop the attachment. You can switch to something new... But then you're too attached to whatever's next. Besides, I don't know how to change or choose a special interest. It just happens. If I knew how to control it I'd be so happy!!

Same here. For example, the special interest i currently have causes a lot of emotional grief...i'm SO attached to it. However, i sense that i have to let go and accept its possible loss + the emotional drought this loss may cause. It is the feeling of emptiness (due to losing the special interest or being unable to achieve the goals related to it) that i'm desperately avoiding.....yet i'm almost constantly in misery due to my obsession with it at the same time.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm

tjr1243 wrote:
Usually it is an emotional rollercoaster ride, feeling like joy is just around the corner only to be let down
For example, do any of you have a special interest that the real world can't always fulfill or can only fulfill part of the time...or a special interest that is fragile or that you are unusually emotionally dependent upon?

What do you do when you are too emotionally attached to your special interest....Are obsessions easy to change; if so, how do you switch obsessions?

Yep, that is a problem being emotionally dependent on something, causes huge problems for me when I can't participate in my interests - either due to technical hitches or health problems. I am way, way to emotionally dependent on them - like a grief response due to being unable to engage with the interest for a year.

For me they are not easy to change, I need to wait untill I naturally move on to something else, and that is usually only after some significant long-term problem that causes a ton of emotional distress.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:16 am

tjr1243 wrote:
Esperanza wrote:

Same here. For example, the special interest i currently have causes a lot of emotional grief...i'm SO attached to it. However, i sense that i have to let go and accept its possible loss + the emotional drought this loss may cause. It is the feeling of emptiness (due to losing the special interest or being unable to achieve the goals related to it) that i'm desperately avoiding.....yet i'm almost constantly in misery due to my obsession with it at the same time.

I understand completely how you feel.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm

Cogs wrote:
Yep, that is a problem being emotionally dependent on something, causes huge problems for me when I can't participate in my interests - either due to technical hitches or health problems. I am way, way to emotionally dependent on them - like a grief response due to being unable to engage with the interest for a year.

For me they are not easy to change, I need to wait untill I naturally move on to something else, and that is usually only after some significant long-term problem that causes a ton of emotional distress.

I find them very hard to change as well. I get very emotionally dependent on my special interests. Sometimes I wonder whether they should be treated like a more conventional addiction, like compulsive shopping or gambling, if a (special interest) gets to the point where it is emotionally distressing.

It is very confusing, because a special interest can sound quite benign or even productive on the surface, so people may find it hard to understand a possibly unhealthy attachment to an interest. When it gets to the point of emotional dependence, which is better, moderation, quitting cold turkey or a completely different approach :?

I hope this doesn't offend anyone reading this, as i don't mean to imply that a special interest would necessarily be as self-destructive as gambling, compulsive shopping, etc. Just wondering what to do when a special interest creates emotional agony (fear of losing it, etc)....do you treat it like a real addiction? (thinking aloud)