Left 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
Right 75%  75%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 51

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 8:10 am

eric76 wrote:
I suspect that left brain vs right brain is nothing but ignorance. Where's the scientific evidence that the different halves of the brain specialize in different styles of thinking?

Maybe you should measure your brain activity and whether if you see it turning clockwise if your right brain is active and vice versa.
Just put some little electrodes on your head :lol:

(home made EEG)

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:23 am

I view the dancer clockwise so right brained but
I fit the left brained proile as I'd describe myself as a scientist (though I'm heavily into art), I can't for the life of me make the dancer move the other way around even after following tips and viewing the versions of the dancer rigged to move the other way around.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:40 am

The dancer only moves clockwise for me, which is supposedly "right-brained." But I have NVLD, which is a right hemisphere deficit. All of my skills are left hemisphere skills (words, logic, science). So, the reason I see the clockwise movement is, in my opinion, because I am left-handed, which makes my brain hemispheres lateralized differently than the norm.

Nash: Is there a difference?

mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2012, 8:46 am

eric76 wrote:
I suspect that left brain vs right brain is nothing but ignorance. Where's the scientific evidence that the different halves of the brain specialize in different styles of thinking?

That's pretty much the gist of the article about this optical illusion:
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/left-brain-right-brain-and-the-spinning-girl/

It's an optical illusion, not a left-/right brain dominance test.

That said, the article also mentions some more helpful pointers to see the dancer spinning either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 9:03 am

Counter-clockwise (and I can't picture it going in the opposite direction at all), so left-brained.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 9:05 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The dancer only moves clockwise for me, which is supposedly "right-brained." But I have NVLD, which is a right hemisphere deficit. All of my skills are left hemisphere skills (words, logic, science). So, the reason I see the clockwise movement is, in my opinion, because I am left-handed, which makes my brain hemispheres lateralized differently than the norm.

So far I know proofes this test just how the visual centre of your brain is working und very often this also tells if you are right- or left-brain thinking person, but this is not a valid test. It's like testing autism by asking if the person is rocking or not, you might be right in a lot of cases, but that's not a valid test.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

Right brained.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

It was Clockwise for me.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

Clockwise at first, then I focused and now I can only see the counter-clockwise movement.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

Righty tighty brained.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

Just watched it again and apparently I can switch pretty easily. I have to concentrate for 2-3 seconds to see the other direction.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

I am surprised how many right-brainers we have here. I always thought autism was dominated by left-brainers, but I guess not.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

Clockwise. I'm quite glad to see I'm right brained.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 1:46 pm

As I understand it, the notion that the left brain has to do with language is from a rather interesting phenomena that occurs in individuals where there are few or no neural pathways between the two sides of the brain.

Except for Siamese cats and albinos, the left side of the brain processes the right field of view and the right side of the brain processes the left field of view. The way this works is that the bundles of axons from ganglia cells in the eyes split in the optic chiasm. The axons from the ganglia cells in the left side of each eye continue back to the left visual cortex and the axons from the ganglia cells in the right side of each eye continue back to the right visual cortex.

Thus, the left visual cortex processes the right field of view and the right visual cortex processes the left field of view.

From the visual cortex of each side, neurons pass the information to different parts of the brain. In particular, there is an area called the left fusiform gyrus which is believed to associate objects with the names for objects. (There appears to be some other areas that might arguably be involved as well or instead of the left fusiform gyrus.)

In some individuals, there are few or no nerves carrying the signals across between the halves of the brain. In those cases, the only information the left fusiform gyrus receives is from the left visual cortex which processes the right field of view.

Thus, someone with this problem may readily be able to name objects in their right field of view, but not in their left field of view. If they move to another spot and look back where the objects that were then in their left field of view are now in their right field of view, and vice versa, they can then associate names with objects that they were unable to identify before.

As I understand it, this is one major reason for the notion that the left brain handles language.

Interestingly enough, the right fusiform gyrus is thought to identify faces with names. If you have problems with it, then you have prosopagnosia or face blindness. I assume that if you have a split brain as described above, you would not be able to associate names with people in your left field of view without other cues such as the sound of their voices, but you would be able to identify the same people in your right field of view.

The brain is adaptive enough that in the case of Siamese cats and albinos where the retinal ganglia do not cross in the optic chiasm, the visual cortex of each side processes the entire field of view but with only half as much information from each side. Consequently, their left and right fusiform gyri receive data about the entire field of view, not just one side or the other.

As I said, this is supposedly what gives rise to the notion that the left side of the brain is responsible for language. But in reality, if you do not have the connections between the halves of the brain, your so-called "left brain" or "right brain" activities will suffer because it really takes both side of the brain, not one.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

I can mentally make it move both clockwise and counter-clockwise. First I saw it clockwise.

It means probably nothing, but I think that I use some functions from both of my "brains" equally (I like maths, programming, arts, etc.).

Johnor
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2012, 6:55 pm

I can switch back and forth without much difficulty. What does that mean? :)