Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

RebeccaShort
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2018, 6:58 am

I'm suffering a lot with pains at the moment, that I'm putting down to severe anxiety. I suffer from pains on and off and they affect me in different parts of my body. The pain is usually mild and lasts for about half an hour, sometimes a full hour or even up to a whole day. The pains usually occur in these places:

Stomach. Chest, heart and lung area, my head and my hands and feet.

The pain is rarely severe but a few weeks ago I did have awful stomach pain (right side) and it was so painful that I couldn't do anything but lay down, and then even that didn't help much. I had the pain for nearly two days before it subsided and luckily it hasn't been like that since. Usually my pains are dull aches or sharp stabs. It worries me because I'm not sure whether it's the ASD and my other problems or if it's something completely unrelated...
The chest pains scare me a lot; but I've had these pains on and off that I almost come to expect them now. I've had them since about 2015.

Another problem for me is food. I eat very little food and sometimes my stomach is making all sorts of noises, down to hunger I assume? But then of late when I eat especially a cooked meal my stomach starts making noises and I feel a little sick. Going to the toilet can be strange too, my stomach goes through phases where sometimes it's ok and other times it's really bad.

I'm worried in case it's something really serious but then again it could be down to my ASD or diseases I have related to it. I'm not on meds either so it can't be that. Does anyone else here suffer from the same thing or is it just me?

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2018, 7:26 am

Stress definitely causes physical symptoms too, stomach issues I think are quite common to get worse when stressed out. I think IBS is also quite common comorbid issue with people with ASD. Relaxation should help, and in my case avoiding gluten, sugar, coffee, alcohol of course. Small meals every couple of hours help too. I had severe stomach pains last summer, that I felt in my back too and it felt like some organ is going to explode soon, but it was stress related, I was very anxious at the time.

Anxiety causes many many physical sensations but if they go away when you're calm and relaxed, I wouldn't worry too much. Getting overly worried about how you feel in your body can be a viscious cycle leading to more anxiety. I wish you well.

VictoriaGoose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2018, 1:58 pm

huimaa wrote:
Stress definitely causes physical symptoms too, stomach issues I think are quite common to get worse when stressed out. I think IBS is also quite common comorbid issue with people with ASD. Relaxation should help, and in my case avoiding gluten, sugar, coffee, alcohol of course. Small meals every couple of hours help too. I had severe stomach pains last summer, that I felt in my back too and it felt like some organ is going to explode soon, but it was stress related, I was very anxious at the time.

Anxiety causes many many physical sensations but if they go away when you're calm and relaxed, I wouldn't worry too much. Getting overly worried about how you feel in your body can be a viscious cycle leading to more anxiety. I wish you well.

This ^
I suffer from aches and pains as well, have done since I was a child. Maybe you could go to the doctors and they could give you something to ease the pain and discomfort? You might also have IBS or something else that is common with ASD, might be worth getting it checked out - if you haven't already :)

RebeccaShort
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2018, 3:49 pm

I think it is a vicious cycle that I get myself in to. It's hard work managing my asd and looking after my one year old, but I'm coping. I'm not on meds but I do have IBS and a disease that affects my body badly, but it's manageable so I just have to live with it. The pain is really depressing though and some days it's really bad, as soon as I notice it it's much worse. I guess that's how the cycle works then. Reassuring to know I'm not the only Autistic who goes through this.

RebeccaShort
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2018, 10:55 am

I'm at hospital, they think it could be my heart. I'll have to go soon and I will be back online when I get chance, hopefully I will know more then.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:32 pm

Rebecca,

I hope you will be okay. Let us know how things go.