So angry I lose the ability to speak coherently...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Muse_of_Obscurity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 8:25 am

Does this happen to anyone? When I am Angry or in an argument or even a disagreement I lose the ability to speak words don't come to me and I can't even get my message across, it's often to a point where I don't want to avoid and give up completely, it frustrates me to no end, is this associated with my Aspergers?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 1:44 pm

The more strongly I feel about something, the less able I become to verbalize about it. It's like my brain gets too stimulated and words disappear.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

I tend to go mute and give up

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:47 pm

I have a hard time with speech when I am emotionally overwhelmed or scared. If I am angry I can be very eloquent and I can use colorful language too which is not always nice but I tend to have difficulty getting words out when I am under stress more related to anxiety and fear.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 5:11 pm

skibum wrote:
I have a hard time with speech when I am emotionally overwhelmed or scared. If I am angry I can be very eloquent and I can use colorful language too which is not always nice but I tend to have difficulty getting words out when I am under stress more related to anxiety and fear.

I'm very similar in this regard. I also have a hard time responding when something catches me off guard. Especially, when it's a random a$$hole comment. I'm like a deer caught in headlights. I usually spend the day being pissed off about it and running through my head what I should have said.

Once in a blue moon I get the chance to use what I thought of, but they usually just catch me off guard again.

I just don't understand how regular people always have to do this. Not only that but have seemingly unending s**t to say, responses, and rebuttals. It takes a lot of mental work and preparation to be an a$$hole.

Muse_of_Obscurity

25 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

Glad I'm not the only one then, boy it is frustrating... I've tried for years to overcome it but I suppose I can't beat the way my brain is wired.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
The more strongly I feel about something, the less able I become to verbalize about it. It's like my brain gets too stimulated and words disappear.

I think this is how I am, too.

If something is important to me or something makes me angry, then I often feel overwhelmed by emotion and cannot speak. If I tried to speak in that state, I would not be able to say what I want to say and my voice would be very shaky from nervousness, which could be falsely interpreted as kind of crying. So I have no choice but to shut up. Otherwise things could get even worse.

I am usually a nervous person and even when there is no reason to be nervous, the sheer presence of other people can make me nervous and my voice can get shaky, which is very embarrassing. So when I'm angry, that's far worse.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:55 pm

When I'm very angry I often lose the ability to speak coherently too. I'll say wrong words, or skip parts of the word, and sometimes even end up just end up making sounds.
When I'm startled or have to react quickly, my brain tends to freeze, and I can't get anything out beyond "nnngh!"Very helpful :roll:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

i'm sure glad i'm not the only one.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Jul 2013, 7:06 pm

I go through this as well, but not as much as I did just a few short years ago.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 8:17 pm

I'm very similar too. When I'm very angry my brain just shuts down and It's very hard to collect my thoughts and communicate them.

I don't think I've EVER been in a heated argument to the point that I'm yelling because my brain shuts down before it gets to that point.

When I've seen people having a serious argument, I could never understand how they could be going on and on like that.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2013, 8:18 pm

This doesn't just happen to me in emotional situations. Other things steal your spoons too. There are days when I just can't speak, or when it takes far more spoons out of me to speak than for an NT person. That's why I have the notebook, and eventually need to get some sort of tablet with a text to speech program. Fortunately I don't have to talk much at work.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm

I have this too. It's like My brain is trying to make my mouth blurt out something in frustration, the words I'm trying to enunciate get distorted when they reach my mouth. I have been meaning to try to make myself calm and slow down my thoughts as I speak them to see if that will help.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 1:37 am

I can describe two situations.

When I get excited and happy I start to trip over my words, stutter and generaly put my words in random order. In other words, I'm thinking way faster than my mouth can keep up.

Then on the rare occasion when i realy get angry, my mind goes blank and I'm in what you might call "a blind rage". It is to be taken litteraly.