Should I do this? Yes or No and why, please.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

I've been trying to find my mom an assisted living or independent living facility and finally found one near us. I talked to the head of the place and, after asking me some questions about myself (about income, etc. and I told him I'm on SSI for mental disabilities), he says that I would also be a good candidate for living there, myself. The only thing is, it's a retirement community and most of the people there are in their 70's and 80's but there are some in their 50's and 60's and a few in their 40's. I would be the youngest person there, since it's for old people, mainly.

But they'll let us bring our cats, which is a big plus, and they take section 8 (government program that helps low income people pay rent) which is another big plus.

So, should I do it? Should I move into a retirement community? A big part of me wants to because I feel it will be a step in the right direction on becoming independent.It will be like a stepping stone. But another part of me thinks I shouldn't even consider it because I should just take the leap and get my own actual apartment right now. I'll have my own apartment at the retirement community and be close to my mom, too, so I can still see her and make sure she's okay. So a big part of me is leaning toward that. But I'm not sure.

So what do you guys think I should do? Should I just keep looking for an actual apartment in an apartment building or move into the retirement community my mom may be staying in for now?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

Personally I would like to live in a retirement community because I find younger people so NOISY and annoying! We don't have that option in the UK. Obviously it's up to you, but I probably would go for something like that. I live in supported living with 6 other people and it's horrible. I would love to be able to live by myself! Being with your Mum would be a bonus as well although my Mum would rather live with anyone rather than me!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

I'm with Jellybean, I've been dreaming about living in a retirement community because the elderly are quieter and usually more mature. Assuming you have a good relationship with your mom and want to nurture it, I think it would be best for the two of you to stick close together. You could probably also save money by living there.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "independent," but a lot of what is considered "independence" in industrialized societies really means "lonely, bored, vulnerable, and spending/working/consuming more than necessary." If you're talking about taking care of your personal needs, that's an important and totally legitimate way to be independent. I just get worried that some people end up working against their best interests by trying to fit the societal ideal of personal independence.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Personally I would like to live in a retirement community because I find younger people so NOISY and annoying! We don't have that option in the UK. Obviously it's up to you, but I probably would go for something like that. I live in supported living with 6 other people and it's horrible. I would love to be able to live by myself! Being with your Mum would be a bonus as well although my Mum would rather live with anyone rather than me!

Luckily, my mom won't be living with me, she'll be living in her own apartment in the same retirement building. I've been taking care of her for 11 years, since I was 19, so it will be a nice break. But I;m afraid of being around people my age, too, so I think it might be a good idea to move somewhere with lots of old people lol.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

starkid wrote:
I'm with Jellybean, I've been dreaming about living in a retirement community because the elderly are quieter and usually more mature. Assuming you have a good relationship with your mom and want to nurture it, I think it would be best for the two of you to stick close together. You could probably also save money by living there.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "independent," but a lot of what is considered "independence" in industrialized societies really means "lonely, bored, vulnerable, and spending/working/consuming more than necessary." If you're talking about taking care of your personal needs, that's an important and totally legitimate way to be independent. I just get worried that some people end up working against their best interests by trying to fit the societal ideal of personal independence.

I will save a lot of money by living there. All utilities are included in the rent and they even pay for basic cable. All I'll have to pay for is phone and internet.

By "independent", I mean living on my own and trying to make a life for myself. Trying to take care of myself better, etc.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2012, 8:07 pm

Listen. The choice really is yours, and yours alone. personally I wouldnt want to live in a place like that because I'm shure they have outrageous rules there. reminds me too much of a group home, yuk!

Living as independelty as possible is really the best option, unless you cant for some reason. so much better man