How attention to detail saves your life

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2012, 12:20 am

There are those who scold me for going over details, making sure every little thing is perfect- tweaking and readjusting things.
Agreed, sometimes it gets in the way for example on a final exam where they make every second count. Sometimes not.

But naysayers, hear this decree: Today it has saved my life!

Today I was installing a critical part in my truck’s drivetrain and, had I not rechecked and inspected every little detail because I wanted it perfect, I would have been flying down the freeway and it would have come undone. Likely causing delays on the #1 for everybody else. 8O

Perfectionism: 1 Darwin: n<=0.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2012, 3:47 am

I am a little like this in my home things just have to be in the right place..even a if the plant on the window is not sitting right..it has to be put back in place :lol: ..it's my way of coping with life i like things to be perfect.
I think a lot of people suffer from a bit of OCD with AS..but just look at what happened to you :lol: so not a bad thing.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 4:59 am

I can't help but ask... was it the bolts that hold the driveshaft flange/ U joint straps to the rear axle input shaft yoke? (Sorry, but I just want to see if my guess is right!)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 10:48 am

Good on you. Attention to detail is often a good thing to have.

In my job I often pick up and fix other people's mistakes and I make very few mistakes because of my natural tendency to pay attention to detail. What's frustrating is that people don't appreciate it because they can't see it and simply think I'm working slowly because of their lack of attention to detail. Complainers are usually those who don't see the value of other people's good qualities.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

The OP speaks the truth. way to go man, *hands you a award* :king:

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2012, 1:37 am

It was the U-joints! Kudos for guessing that- you play a lot of trivia?? :)

The caps were not correctly installed and crunched one of the brand new needles in them.. thus the clips didn't quite fit properly. :?

Not cool- assistant said "Good enough" and I redid it later on my own time/

This is how it should look:

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 2:33 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
It was the U-joints! Kudos for guessing that- you play a lot of trivia?? :)

The caps were not correctly installed and crunched one of the brand new needles in them.. thus the clips didn't quite fit properly. :?

Not cool- assistant said "Good enough" and I redid it later on my own time/

This is how it should look:

Nope... I have built a lot of cars! I love trying to figure out technical questions about them from limited data. I've also been known to find cars with cooling system problems just by walking by and smelling the coolant that was evaporating off of a hot part and never pooling beneath the car. Now if only I was as intuitive with women as I am with cars... :lol:

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2012, 9:02 pm

outofplace wrote:

Nope... I have built a lot of cars! I love trying to figure out technical questions about them from limited data. I've also been known to find cars with cooling system problems just by walking by and smelling the coolant that was evaporating off of a hot part and never pooling beneath the car. Now if only I was as intuitive with women as I am with cars... :lol:

My friend went months without noticing that smell, turns out his carpet was soaked with coolant and the pipes in the heater core had burst! How he didn't notice I don't wanna know lol/ 8O

But just walking by and picking it up, thats skills! :o

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

IMO, this is evolution at work, and a reason why I would not be surprised if there were a lot more of us present a thousand years from now. Just have kids to keep it going! ;)

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

I prevented an embarrassing mistake in a TV show because I knew the difference between English portraiture from the 16th and 17th centuries and what Oliver Cromwell looked like. So I guess my childhood wasn't wasted staring at pictures in history books after all. :D

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

JRR wrote:
IMO, this is evolution at work, and a reason why I would not be surprised if there were a lot more of us present a thousand years from now. Just have kids to keep it going! ;)

No way am I having kids. There are studies that show that aspie men are 95% likely to have aspie children. My childhood was not fun and totally not worth all the crap I went through. I dont believe in evolution, but if i did, i would see AS as something that nature was trying to weed out.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2012, 10:31 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
JRR wrote:

No way am I having kids. There are studies that show that aspie men are 95% likely to have aspie children. My childhood was not fun and totally not worth all the crap I went through. I dont believe in evolution, but if i did, i would see AS as something that nature was trying to weed out.

Chad, if you were given proper training and education in dealing with NT's as a kid, would not nearly all of your problems have not existed?

I think it's more a problem of that, than anything. If we're diagnosed, taught and trained to deal with them, the problems (mainly) vanish, leaving us with all the positives of our mental structure.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2012, 11:56 pm

In much the same way that an incompatible species will selectively die off, a species that is incompatible yet able to adapt to surivive in the existing environment will eventually over time merge with the population.

If enough time passes, the two become one.

Side:
Evolution doesn't give a crap if you don't believe it, it's out there doing it's thing no matter what you think. :P

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2012, 2:39 am

JRR wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
JRR wrote:

Chad, if you were given proper training and education in dealing with NT's as a kid, would not nearly all of your problems have not existed?

I think it's more a problem of that, than anything. If we're diagnosed, taught and trained to deal with them, the problems (mainly) vanish, leaving us with all the positives of our mental structure.

I have a theory that the apie who got 'befriended" in school at least once, invited over to this new friend's place to play, and then get dogpiled - all of it being a ruse because the young chickens just gotta go and peck the oddball to death (this really happens with chickens) - is the one who now gleefully works on those DARPA projects where they are building autonomous robots that can hunt and kill people.

And frankly, though not logically, I can't blame that person.

Yeah there is much potential here, because the people with AS will be like Scotty from Star Trek: reading technical manuals on warp drive relaxed him. That's the kind of person who just might invent one because he's not driven to worship sports teams and spend entire weekends looking to get laid. But then such a person would also consider that, given the treatment he may have had from others while growing up, he'd sooner let the entire human race rot on a sickened planet.

Had I the money I would start a separate school for kids with AS, one that would tap into the ability surrounding special interests while teaching them not to be consumed by it, an in environment where there won't be guys in sports jerseys looking to pound them to impress their friends or some girl. That will be the school that wins the science awards.