Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

A tricky one for people with AS - not really people worth arguing with IMO. But dealing with people who have that "conservative" mentality, you know the one, they stake the claim that everyone makes their own destiny and brings everything upon themselves (and btw, they also tend to believe Asperger's is just an excuse :( no surprises there.) Note that I don't so much mean conservative socio-religious types, but those who have an exaggerated view of personal responsibility.

An example is my step-brother, who is a real a****ole. He has claimed on a few occasions "did you know that 99% of what happens to you is brought on by yourself??" I guess it never occurred to him that people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, or subject to harassment or bullying, or got bad luck that had nothing to do with their personal actions and more to do with other peoples negligence or intentional infliction of suffering. I asked him that if this is the case, why are there all these laws to protect the majority of people from harm or loss, like discrimination or defamation laws for example. His response was that, well, that's because that person stood out from the crowd.

So I challenged him further and asked him "what if someone gets killed by a drunk driver running a red light??! are you telling me that person 'brought it upon themselves'?" His answer was: "Well, in effect it was, because he could have been more alert and realized that the drunk driver wasn't intending to slow down for the light." So I gave up after that, what's the point. I mean, I could have asked him (hypothetically, because this dialogue was years ago) what about those victims of the two massacres in the Denver, Colorado area - did they bring it upon themselves???! !

Thing is, my stepbrother's not a psychopath (he does have some self doubt and selective empathy! and is not a compulsive liar) but tends to be quite arrogant. All the same, there are times I've secretly wished that some unfortunate event would befall him, short of a total loss, so I could gloat to him that he brought it upon himself and gauge his reaction. Maybe that sounds callous. But sometimes that's what it takes to change a warped attitude like his.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 8:26 pm

I am a conservative and would appreciate not being stereotyped like that. I do believe that the individual is responsible for their own life, but I also recognize the issues some people have due to a variety of problems. My lack of social acceptance has made me a fairly open minded person when it comes to accepting others as they come. I may tell them I think they are wrong, but I also think people have a right to disagree and can do so with me without me hating them or shunning them.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

I think that the belief that 99% of one's problems are brought upon one's self is an inaccurate representation of conservatism.

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

Well your step brother is only half right. life is mostly under your control, but also under control by the interactions with people around you. So you have more power than you think, but people (Like a drunk driver on a red light) usually skew the equation because of our own free will. (Which is still a good thing, because we wouldn't progress if we never made mistakes.)

But yeah, conservatism isn't about everything being under your control, it's about most things being under your control.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:29 pm

Everyone's destiny is dependent upon opportunity. However, to meet that opportunity, a person must be willing to take it, able to take it, and have the wisdom to recognize the opportunity.

Ability - Are you physically and mentally fit? Do you have that official document that says you know what you are doing? Do you have sufficient social aptitude to interact with employers, coworkers, and customers?

Wisdom - Can you tell an opportunity from a scam? Can you tell a real job from a joke? Can you tell appreciation from exploitation?

Willingness - Do you want to do the job? Are you willing to start at the bottom and "pay your dues"? Would you be willing to put on a happy face and act like you're having a good time no matter how awful you feel or how badly they treat you?

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, don't just sit there and complain about how those mean, stupid poopy-heads won't bend over backwards to accommodate you. Instead, focus on enough self-development to turn your negativity into something positive.

Given the ability, the wisdom, and the willingness, most people can create their own destiny and brings good things to themselves. The rest are essentially on their own or dependent upon the charity of others.

That's just how it is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm

Jayo wrote:
A tricky one for people with AS - not really people worth arguing with IMO. But dealing with people who have that "conservative" mentality, you know the one, they stake the claim that everyone makes their own destiny and brings everything upon themselves (and btw, they also tend to believe Asperger's is just an excuse :( no surprises there.)

I don't see this as being a "conservative" mentality.

There is the idea that you need to take responsibility for yourself, but I don't know many people who think that everything that goes wrong is your own fault. I do know plenty of conservatives who do not think that it is up to the government to solve your problems for you.

As for those things that happen to you that are not your fault does not relieve you of your responsibility for dealing with them to the best of your ability. And hopefully you have friends, family, or neighbors who can help when needed, too.

Last edited by eric76 on 01 Nov 2012, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

eric76 wrote:
Jayo wrote:
A tricky one for people with AS - not really people worth arguing with IMO. But dealing with people who have that "conservative" mentality, you know the one, they stake the claim that everyone makes their own destiny and brings everything upon themselves (and btw, they also tend to believe Asperger's is just an excuse :( no surprises there.)

I don't see this as being a "conservative" mentality.

There is the idea that you need to take responsibility for yourself, but I don't know many people who think that everything that goes wrong is your own fault. I do know plenty of conservatives who do not think that it is up to the government to solve your problems for you.

As for those things that happen to you that are not your fault does not relieve you of your responsibility for dealing with them to the best of your ability. And hopefully you have friends, family, or neighbors who can help when needed, too.

Exactly. If anything, being a Conservative and moral means you take more responsibility for the needs of those around you than liberals do. You see it as your moral obligation to use your time and money to personally help those in need, rather than the liberal ideal of forcing the government to steal from someone else and give their money to the person you think deserves it more. Personal responsibility does not only mean taking care of your own needs, but also being responsible enough to take care of those in need within your sphere of influence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 12:48 am

lefties and righties each have mutually irreconcilable philosophies- "east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet."

it is best to avoid those on the opposite side, one might as well [try to] mix oil and water together. each side wants to force a square peg into a round hole.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 1:59 am

While in the minds of many "conservative" might indeed conjure up images of unempathtic individuals who have a difficult time accepting the differences of others, I believe you are actually looking for a different term to describe your brother, of which I will decline to state.

When dealing with those such as your brother, it's important that one maintain personal boundaries of logical reasoning. This is simply the ability to determine and acknowledge that the other person is no longer waging a logical, nor reasonable argument. It's important to understand that people who go beyond the boundaries logical reasoning often resort to logical fallacies, straw hat arguments, and the likes, to argue their point. Because of this, the validity of their argument is no longer based on truth, but semantics, and the willingness of the other individual to concede to those semantics.

To be rather blunt, you must deal with these individuals as if you are dealing with an idiot who could never possibly understand what you are attempting to convey to them. Either simply refuse to engage with them, either by literally refusing or simply "agreeing" to what they are saying, or state your point, call the other person on the fact that their argument is neither logical or reasonable, refuse to elaborate (as they will trap you in the semantics) and invoke the powers of stubbornness.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 2:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
lefties and righties each have mutually irreconcilable philosophies- "east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet."

it is best to avoid those on the opposite side, one might as well [try to] mix oil and water together. each side wants to force a square peg into a round hole.

I think that is taking it a bit too far. I have several people in my life who disagree with me politically and we can come together on common interests. I learned years ago to avoid politics with them and try to concentrate on common ground instead. Then again, I also like to hear the other side to determine where the truth may lie. Usually, both sides exaggerate the sins of the other and by only listening to your side you do not get enough data to effectively form a good opinion. For example, I dislike both GW Bush and Obama for their respective roles in curtailing personal liberty. However, I used to be blind and say my side could do no wrong and the opposite side could do no right. Now I try to better look at both sides and see what makes sense. Usually, my stances take a little from both ends while still being more right than left.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:54 am

Chronos wrote:
While in the minds of many "conservative" might indeed conjure up images of unempathtic individuals who have a difficult time accepting the differences of others, I believe you are actually looking for a different term to describe your brother, of which I will decline to state.

Yup, that's it.

I love labels because I am asperger's. I am asperger's because I love labels.

But I'm DIY about it.

EQ: 6.

Brock
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2012, 6:10 am

Jayo wrote:
A tricky one for people with AS - not really people worth arguing with IMO. But dealing with people who have that "conservative" mentality, you know the one, they stake the claim that everyone makes their own destiny and brings everything upon themselves (and btw, they also tend to believe Asperger's is just an excuse :( no surprises there.) Note that I don't so much mean conservative socio-religious types, but those who have an exaggerated view of personal responsibility.

An example is my step-brother, who is a real a****ole. He has claimed on a few occasions "did you know that 99% of what happens to you is brought on by yourself??" I guess it never occurred to him that people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, or subject to harassment or bullying, or got bad luck that had nothing to do with their personal actions and more to do with other peoples negligence or intentional infliction of suffering. I asked him that if this is the case, why are there all these laws to protect the majority of people from harm or loss, like discrimination or defamation laws for example. His response was that, well, that's because that person stood out from the crowd.

So I challenged him further and asked him "what if someone gets killed by a drunk driver running a red light??! are you telling me that person 'brought it upon themselves'?" His answer was: "Well, in effect it was, because he could have been more alert and realized that the drunk driver wasn't intending to slow down for the light." So I gave up after that, what's the point. I mean, I could have asked him (hypothetically, because this dialogue was years ago) what about those victims of the two massacres in the Denver, Colorado area - did they bring it upon themselves???! !

Thing is, my stepbrother's not a psychopath (he does have some self doubt and selective empathy! and is not a compulsive liar) but tends to be quite arrogant. All the same, there are times I've secretly wished that some unfortunate event would befall him, short of a total loss, so I could gloat to him that he brought it upon himself and gauge his reaction. Maybe that sounds callous. But sometimes that's what it takes to change a warped attitude like his.

Please read "Outliers: the story of success" by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a fantastic book all about this very subject. You are 100% correct in every single word of this post and this book will give you 600 more reasons to support the idea. I work on an oil rig. That means I work with 30 exact copies of your stepbrother. So I get where you are coming from.

I think people's mind can be changed, I just don't think it's worth your time.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:17 am

auntblabby wrote:

That's what we call a self fulfilling prophecy there Blabs, and a pretty bleak one at that. It's also inaccurate, as their are plenty of people out there, possibly the majority even, who are like me in that they combine bits of both. To continue your analogy, people like me could be considered emulsifiers, having both oil and water soluble ends and causing the two substances to blend, or in my case trying to force them to see common ground. Really Blabs, you're both too smart and too nice to subscribe to such a stark and hopeless outlook, at the very least I doubt it's good for your mental and emotional health.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:34 am

Conservatism is just a part of the big, everexpanding, complex social bubble that affects everyone. You can't avoid it, so you have to get used to it and do what you can. If you are right, you can relax with the thought of your life being better than the lives of them. Cause that is actually how it works.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2012, 9:21 am

In my experience, Conservatives simply don't believe in psychiatry. My father is a BIG ditto head and has Rush, Hannity on almost 24/7. I remember an Aspie calling into Rush Limbaugh's show. The kid was a big fan and had "Aspie" pride, but Rush didn't believe in the existence of Aspergers. He thought it was just oddness or shyness and it was a bull**** diagnosis, and told the kid so, to Rush's credit politely, but it was still in ignorance.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2012, 10:46 am

I believe that a great majority of what happens to you, is related to how you go about life. It's not always direct, though. Too hard to explain, but it's what I believe, and I think it makes for a much happier life if, when a bad thing happens to me, I can ask myself "how did I get in a spot where this happened?", and I can see that there were other choices I could have made. Not necessarily choices that would have made everything all nice and perfect, but choices that would have led me to a different situation. I think this is very important, because if we don't think this way, we will almost ALWAYS repeat situations and get even more frustrated.

My theory in this, is not only about bad things happening, but good things too. I am also a very strong believer in "we become who we associate with". If you hang around with successful, well-disciplined people, you probably will go that way too. If you hang out with lazy people who are angry and feel they're owed something, you will start thinking that way too.

I'm a conservative Republican in ethics and finances, gun rights, and taking responsibility for one's own actions, but probably would be considered liberal on human issues such as civil rights.

As far as "dealing with" conservatives, just offer facts and logic, and speak with responsibility. I won't listen when someone whines to me that his/her medical insurance won't pay for something, or that the city didn't come clean up a mess in the street. But I will listen when someone says they're upset with themselves for buying a new car when they knew they might need to pay cash some day for a medical need, or not figuring out how to budget time to go clean up a mess in the street in front of their house. That sounds constructive to me as a conservative, and it makes me want to help. I don't want to help anyone to blame others for their problems. Why? Because it isn't going to help anyone to fix anything, and it's wasting emotional energy for all of us.

Charles