New to working with asperger's, what do I need to know?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 6:10 pm

Mirror21 wrote:

Limit background noise and don't use super bright bulbs, that one is always a killer for me!
^,^

super bright bulbs...ugh... last week a guy was going around on the floor of the building i work in replacing bulbs overhead. now where i sit, it's so bright and i feel so bothered...and where i sit, there is fax machines and buzzers going off all day around me. i'm trying to get moved out of that area, but the process is sooooooooo slow.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

muff
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2012, 7:14 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Please don't assume that because they have Aspergers, they have certain issues. We're not all the same. If the person allows you, ask what problems they have. For example, do they need you to say "at 12pm, we're going to have lunch. At 1pm, we're going shopping" and so on.

If they do have a meltdown, (which can be due to things like hypersensitivity) just leave them. But ensure they're safe.

yes. this is good advice. unless you are using the dsm, you should stay away from generalizations. a quick example of this is how one responder to your post stated that metaphors would be wasted on us. i dont undertand this. they may not be the most effective tool, but to state this as such a clear fact makes us seem like we are way out in left field and could freak out the OP. when i hear 'thats the way the cookie crumbles,' i dont suggest a different brand of cookie.

and please understand that evidence based practices have been largely normed to NTs. my therapist has worked on processing my close relationship with my best friend by suggesting that i have separation anxiety, which is rooted in my attachment disorder stemming from a past truama that i cannot recall and that i am codependant in regards to her addiction (cigarettes). okay...or how about maybe i dont understand how to behaviorally show my interest and regard for her in the most socially functional way. so maybe we should work on some skill building huh? rather than exposure therapy for gods sake. can you believe he suggested getting to know a lot of other people?? 'go out with a new and different person a couple of times a week, make a lot of other friends and then your anxiety will be reduced.' LOL yeah, thatll reduce my anxiety!

muff
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2012, 7:18 pm

also, my therapist was concerned about my flat voice. he said it could be a cortisol overload, or chronic depression as in maybe i am fatigued or disinterested, perhaps if we increase my dopamine levels, then i will increase my voices plasticity.

OCCAMS RAZOR is going to be your best friend. get to know it.