Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2005, 11:21 pm

I know that most people with AS don't like being touched. I have SID, but I am hypo sensitive, and I have an intense need for touch(although I dislike being touched when I am not paying attention to the person who is touching me). So much so that I annoy my family because I hug them too often. My question to all of you is this...Do any of you have the same "touch issues" that I do? If you dislike being touched, can you describe why? I would like to know.

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2005, 12:08 am

Being touched the wrong way feels like an electric shock to me. For me, the wrong way is light, carressing types of touch. I need a firmer caress. I am especially sensitive on the back of my neck and my stomach area, and my belly button is ALWAYS off limits.

This does not mean that I don't like to be touched. It just means that many times it is uncomfortable/painful.

It is awful, because it makes me feel very isolated. Every girlfriend that I have had has been hurt at one point or another, because they don't understand why I flinch or jump away from certain kinds of touching.

My current boss has been causing me issues lately. She is a very "touchy feely" person, and will touch me when she is talking to me, or come up behind me and rub my shoulders, pat me on the back, etc. I feel really bad, because I know she means well, and she is horrified when she realizes that she has "hurt" me again.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2005, 12:13 am

I have no idea why, but I cannot stand being touched. If someone (even my mom or any other family member) so much as lays a hand on me I just can't stand it.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 1:12 am

I only like being touched by certian people - and I've been thinking about why that is - or what it is about these certian people that make it ok for them to touch me - and I think it is strength - when I hug my best friend it is like I can feel how strong and protective he is . . .

Generally, though, I hate being touched and hugged and generally bothered by anything that isn't covered in fur . . . I can tolerate it, but I hate it . . .

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 4:37 am

I don't really mind being touched as long as the person is not someone I can't stand.

I like alot of space, and I hate being touched lightly, it makes me itchy.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 8:20 am

People touching me just confuses me, and it feels like it is an invasion of my space.

Often, I'm not very aware of what's going on around me, so when someone puts their hand on my shoulder, it is quite startling, and I am always wondering why they are doing it.

On the other hand, my sense of touch is a bit odd. Sometimes I crave sensation, I like wearing heavy blankets over myself whenever I can, and I tend to press my back or arms into sharp corners or angles to give myself more of a sense of awareness. I think it's just the unexpectedness of being touched that bothers me.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 8:58 am

My biggest problem with touch is that I freeze if I do not expect it.

On by bus, there is always a student that gets a joy out of touching people and that I can stand because I know her and expect here totry to touch me.

On the other hand, when I was assisting at Saturday Noon Meal a month ago, one of the patrons touched me and I did not expect it. I literally froze for a good 5 - 10 seconds.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

tear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2005, 10:41 am

I only let certain people touch. Most of the time when I was younger when I was touched something bad would happen. Though I like the touch of women if I know they are going to touch me. Right now there are only a couple people I would even let touch me. I am also very sensitive about being surprised and will often defend myself aggressively. I specifically tell people not to touch my hair or face. There are two people who I let touch my face.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 11:23 am

As far as touching other things I don't mind as long as the textures are a certain sort, ie. not rough, etc. As far as people touching me, I don't like it when unexpected, it has to be me wanting it and it has to be deep pressure, not light touch as it makes me really uncomfortable.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 11:38 am

I'm very uncomfortable having people touch me.... although I can't really speak from experience.....

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2005, 2:00 pm

I hate being touched, unless it’s by a significant other. Hugs and impromptu back rubs by anyone are disturbing. If the touch comes unawares, I get that electrical shock feeling and I react physically, immediately pulling myself away. Handshakes are fine, unless the other person gives me the wet-fish, no-grip kind of handshake, which feels gross.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 2:53 pm

synchro wrote:
Handshakes are fine, unless the other person gives me the wet-fish, no-grip kind of handshake, which feels gross.
LOL! I hate those, too, but never heard them described quite like that.

With me it's not just the light touches that bother me. I don't like *any* unexpected or prolonged intrusion into my space by people with whom I am not already intimate. At work a few days ago a bunch of us were sitting around the conference table discussing our projects when one of the guys came up behind my chair, put both hands heavily on my shoulders and started praising my work to the group. I just about screamed from the unexpected contact and couldn't wait for him to finish. Last night I was at a dinner and they decided to take a group photo. I tried to make myself as small as possible, but still ended up squeezed between two people, one of whomI really like. I felt like my clothing was on fire. And somehow, after the photo I had no problem giving her a brief hug. The one person who gets to touch me (almost) without consequence is my bf. He likes to tease me by touching me in the one place I told him not to -- my nose. Go figure....

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 4:21 pm

I'm not very fond of being touched. If I know that someone is going to touch me, and they are someone I am close to, then it's okay. I hate being touched lightly though. It makes me feel like there are hundreds of spiders crawling all over me.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 8:15 pm

Whenever people put their hands on my shoulders all buddy-buddy like, I just want to squirm out of their grip and run away. Uggh, QUIT DOING THAT :evil:

So yeah, I generally don't like to be touched.