Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 4:52 am

I drink coffee solely for its taste. I love good espresso. I have coffee at any time of the day whenever I feel like it, sometimes as many as 4 or so cups a day. Somehow caffeine (even energy drinks) doesn't do anything to me. I can have coffee right before going to bed.

It seems caffeine affects different people differently. I have a frined who likes coffee but starts shaking after two cups sometimes. I hear that caffeine is not good for mental health for some people. I remember that some psycholgist's therapy included eliminating all caffeine intake from diet as well as CBT etc. I tried not taking any caffeine for a while, but I didn't make me feel positive or anything. If it's making you anxious, I suggest you keep away from coffee for a while and see how you feel. You can still have decaf. I don't know which is worse, depression or anxiety.

McCool
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2012, 7:09 am

No, I do not drink coffee. I do not like the taste. I do drink tea, though, and the amount of caffeine in tea does not have any noticeable effects on me.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 9:38 am

FightingAspie wrote:
...or other forms of caffeine.

I am curious because it helps me feel less depressed but it makes me more anxious. I think I am going to try to quit it.

Thoughts :?:

That's likely because of the caffeine because caffeine causes certain chemicals in the brain to fire off, causing alertness/anxiety (hightened awareness), and also causing feelings of cheerfulness (although I suppose for those who are depressed it would make them feel normal).

To answer you're question, yes, I drink a couple cups a day usually. With flavoring when I can get it.

AProudHillbilly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2012, 9:54 am

No coffee, very little caffeine. It doesn't have any effect on me, I find. Just like sleep-aids do nothing for me either.

I accept PMs from females only. Sorry. Personal convictions.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2012, 10:02 am

When I have cravings at times I drink mild coffee. I am a tea lover. I drink black tea with milk all the time because it sort of tones my cravings down and also has much lesser caffeine content which I can handle unlike coffee. Oh I only drink one cup occasionally. If I drink tea strong I hyperventilate.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:55 am

Two large cups every morning. It is medication for me. Not just to wake up either, even though it does help with that. Some nights I don't get anywhere near enough sleep, and really don't want to drink any coffee because I'd rather get more sleep. But I have to anyway, because it actually helps with my digestion (I have pretty bad IBS), and my gut won't let me sleep past a certain time anyway. So I drink coffee to get my gut straightened out. Sometimes I can actually get back to sleep afterward if I missed a lot during the night. Either way, because of my gut, I can't get started OR get back to sleep if I need it, unless I drink coffee.

Good thing I love the stuff.

I'm a true coffee hound by the way. I won't buy pre-ground coffee. I buy the beans and grind my own. It's much better and fresher tasting. So much so I can make it really strong and it never bothers my stomach. Pre-ground, I'd have to make a lot weaker or it would eat my gut alive. It tastes like crap anyway, so I don't bother with it anymore.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:13 pm

I love coffee, which I drink regularly (sometimes six or seven cups a day). I also like energy drinks, and have tried caffeine pills, though I didn't feel much benefit from taking those.

I guess you just need to weigh up the pro's and con's of giving up coffee, and go with what you think. It is a bit of a dilemma though, depression and anxiety can be equally debilitating.

Eden
:cat:

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

I make a large cup of coffee every morning. It is one of my rituals, and I have a meltdown of varying degree if I somehow forget to make my coffee, even if I don't always drink it. Talk about a nonfunctional routine, huh? I do usually have a few sips, at least. Oh, and I drink it black if you're wondering.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 2:36 pm

MrStewart wrote:
Yes. I recently did a lot of research in the mechanics of coffee brewing and various techniques for making different sorts of coffee at home. My favorite so far is manual pour-over style.

Cowboy coffee!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:30 pm

FightingAspie wrote:
...or other forms of caffeine.

I am curious because it helps me feel less depressed but it makes me more anxious. I think I am going to try to quit it.

Thoughts :?:

I never do.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Nov 2012, 4:09 pm

I'm a coffee lover. I haven't been drinking it as often as I used to, though.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

I love coffee, but I've noticed that caffeine has a bad effect on my health and my skin. I can't resist drinking it anyway, so I switched to decaf. The first month of "detoxification" was bad, but I'm OK now. It's different, but better than no coffee at all.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm

I went from never drinking it to drinking it every morning so I can stay alert for class. I am not a huge fan of coffee taste by itself though, so it has to be really sweet for me to drink it.

I am NOT supposed to be having caffeine, either, because I have an allergy to many anesthetics and caffeine is also a trigger, though much less severe (I have Malignant Hyperthermia--and to diagnose it officially they apply caffeine to a muscle sample to see if there is a reaction), but I haven't managed to give up caffeine yet. :oops:

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:50 pm

i drink it once in a while like if I go out for breakfast which is rare.
At home it's orange or grapefruit juice.

Just_Passing
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2012, 2:46 am

Coffee is a strange one. I enjoyed it once, but had to get rid of it after drinking 3/4 of it, because it was a bit off putting at that point. Any other time I have tried it, I couldn't stand it. Ugh, one day maybe.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 5:27 am

No coffee for me (too acidic for my stomach), but I do enjoy tea (hot or cold), and diet pop.